PDA

View Full Version : Front Sight Height on Ruger SuperBlackhawk

nighthunter
06-26-2005, 06:34 PM
I have a 5 1/2 inch Ruger SuperBlackhawk that shoots about 12 to 15 inches high at 25 yards with the rear sight adjusted completely down. The front sight has to be too low. The problem is that the sight appears to be one piece and a replacement higher sight would have to be silver soldered. Does anyone have any experience with this or have a different solution?

45 2.1
06-26-2005, 06:56 PM
Check to see if the rear sight body that holds the rear sight blade is all the way down on the frame at the rear. If not the sight can be disassembled and the contact surfaces can be relieved until the sight will bottom. If that doesn't do it, you will have to add on to the front sight height. I've done this on several Rugers.

fecmech
06-26-2005, 07:03 PM
You can solder some 1/8th key stock on top of your sight and shape it with a file . Or you can do what I did to mine, rough up the top edge of your sight, de grease it with alcohol etc. Run a peice of masking tape around the sight about 1/8th higher than the top and fill that "mould" with the metal filled epoxy you get at auto parts stores. Let it sit for a day or so, remove the tape and file to desired hight. A little flat black paint and you are good to go. Mine has been on the gun a couple of years now and maybe 1-2k rds. If you want to take it off to sell the gun or something, heat it to about 300 deg. and snap it off.

Bass Ackward
06-26-2005, 10:11 PM
I have a 5 1/2 inch Ruger SuperBlackhawk that shoots about 12 to 15 inches high at 25 yards with the rear sight adjusted completely down. The front sight has to be too low. The problem is that the sight appears to be one piece and a replacement higher sight would have to be silver soldered. Does anyone have any experience with this or have a different solution?

Another possibility is to lower the height of the rear sight blade. Same effect as raising the front. This can be done with a simple file or a replacement blade or a whole new rear sight can be purchased.

Just so you know your options.

David R
06-26-2005, 10:14 PM
Try lighter boolits, they will shoot lower. I had a Dan Wesson 357 with fixed sites, it would shoot Lee 105 cast to point of aim.

swheeler
06-27-2005, 12:13 AM
NH:If you can increase the velocity of your load, using the same boolit, you may be able to bring it down. 12 to 15 inches is a lot to get at 25 yds, but worth a try, if it doesn't come down enough try the next lighter boolit, as David R suggested.
Scooter

nighthunter
06-27-2005, 06:28 AM
Thanks for the replys. I think I'm gonna try fecmech's suggestion and try some JB Weld to build up the front sight. Bass Ackward.... I tried filing the back sight a while back and it did help a little. Just couldn't get it down far enough and still have a usable sight. Lighter bullets won't help. I shoot 245 and 300 gr. cast bullets. I hate the thought of using little bullets. Thanks again.

swheeler
06-27-2005, 01:13 PM
And the 245 grainers shoot to the same point as the 300 grainers???

Shuz
06-27-2005, 01:45 PM
nighthunter--Your experience of 12 to 15 inches high with the rear sight bottomed out is exactly what I experience when I first fired my KS45N many years ago. I was using the Lyman 429650 @ about 325g and velocity in the 1100fps arena. I corrected my problem by installing a higher Patridge type front sight. Now, my front sight is pinned in place, and it's been so long ago,perhaps 12 or more years, that I can't remember if the original sight was pinned in or whether I hadda do the job! Here's the important thing. My front height measuring from the top of the sight to the bottom of the bbl is 1.265 inches. This gives me ample range to use all boolit weights with this gun. Strangely, my KS458N 4-5/8" bbl'd gun never hadda have the front sight replaced because of lack of range. I just checked and it's factory ramp type sight is pinned in. I just measured the height of this sight and it is 1.235 inches. Prolly explains why I never hadda problem! Hope this helps!

By the way, over thirty years ago I used to hunt outta the Penfield area there in Clearfield Cty. Nice country you live in!

44man
06-27-2005, 04:36 PM
I would check for the pin in the ramp. Most Rugers have this. It is easy to cut and file a higher sight to fit. You can make them any shape too, such as an undercut target type if you don't need a quick draw from a holster.

nighthunter
06-28-2005, 09:17 PM
I applied the JB Weld yesterday and let it harden for 24 hours. Shaped it with a file today and must say it came out kinda nice. Gonna try to get to the range in the next couple of days and see how it works. If it works I'll give it a coat of flat black and then see how it holds up after its been there awhile. Again, I want to thank you guys for your input.
Nighthunter

cabezaverde
06-29-2005, 09:12 PM
I had a 45 colt that was about 8" high, with the rear sight all the way down. Here is what I stumbled onto, as I didn't want to change the load ( I liked the groups).

I changed the grips. Going from the factory grips to a set of Pachmayers stopped the revolver from rolling in my hand as much.

Groups right on target now. Go figure.

Bass Ackward
07-03-2005, 08:08 PM

NH,

I was just told about this option and I think I am going to try it. Not because I have your problem, I just like the idea.

This is a rear sight that allows you to use heavy bullets without changing your front sight height. So .... what that means to me is that you can lower your POI with normal loads.

http://oneraggedhole.com/The_RUGER_One_Hole_Sight.htm

Scrounger
07-03-2005, 09:43 PM
NH,

I was just told about this option and I think I am going to try it. Not because I have your problem, I just like the idea.

This is a rear sight that allows you to use heavy bullets without changing your front sight height. So .... what that means to me is that you can lower your POI with normal loads.

http://oneraggedhole.com/The_RUGER_One_Hole_Sight.htm

Brownell's has them. I bought one two years ago, haven't gotten around to putting it on yet...(See my Moto)

Bass Ackward
07-04-2005, 08:34 AM
Brownell's has them. I bought one two years ago, haven't gotten around to putting it on yet...(See my Moto)

Two years huh? (d@mn kids) :grin:

I just bought a set because I was intrigued. I made one of these back in the 70s and put it on a Mitchell Arms (Uberti) 45LC SAA that I bought. It was a PIA to make, but I seem to remember that it really worked great (FAST) for hunting and plinking. My recollection of target work is .... less sure and that gun wouldn't really qualify as a target outfit anyway. It seems to me that I did no worse than the origional sights.

What I find these days is that I am always trying to position myself for light. Often bringing the gun back to get a wider notch. And background color is everything. Especially with this new Redhawk. " I " get much better results on a target if I do. I don't like being limited to light. So .... this ought to knock that in the head. Peeps still work well on my rifles anyway. I will let you know.

nighthunter
07-04-2005, 09:03 AM
FWIW ... I shipped the Ruger back to the Ruger service department. The ruger web site says the 5 1/2 and 7 1/2 inch barrels use the same front sight and sight on my 5 1/2 was 40 thousandths shorter than on my 7 1/2 in barrel. I think it was shipped with the wrong sight. I'll probably know in a few days after they receive it. Thanks for your replies.
I checked out the site for the peep site. Looks interesting. Someone else used to sell them. Called it a ghost ring site. Can't remember who it was. Any other "old guys" here remember it?

45nut
07-04-2005, 10:21 AM
Ah yes,the "One Ragged Hole" peep. Been tempted a few times myself.
Here is the link......Ruger Peep (http://oneraggedhole.com/The_RUGER_One_Hole_Sight.htm)

9.3X62AL
07-04-2005, 03:22 PM
These aperture sights have intrigued me also. At the price, it seems kinda dumb to not give them a try.

Just guessing here, not looking at a Ruger rear sight......do you just back out the existing windage screw to release and OEM sight blade and re-assemble the aperture plate in its place?

Scrounger
07-04-2005, 03:25 PM
These aperture sights have intrigued me also. At the price, it seems kinda dumb to not give them a try.

Just guessing here, not looking at a Ruger rear sight......do you just back out the existing windage screw to release and OEM sight blade and re-assemble the aperture plate in its place?

That's it, Al, they simply replace the original blade. Five minute job if your fingers work OK.