PDA

View Full Version : Lee Turret question

wolfe28
02-11-2012, 05:21 PM
I've been kicking around the idea of getting a Lee turret press to speed up my reloading of things like: 9mm, 45 acp, 357 mag, and other straight wall pistol calibers (I'll stick with my single stage for any bottle-necked rifle calibers). The difference in cost between the Lee 4-hole turret and the 4-hole classic cast is about $90 (which currently is a lot of money for me).

Is it worth it to get the cast press, given what I'm planning on reloading?

Thanks,
D

13Echo
02-11-2012, 05:55 PM
I use a Lee turret for a lot of pistol and it works just fine. The Classic Cast turret would be nice but is really overkill for pistol.

Jerry Liles

Dale53
02-11-2012, 06:09 PM
I have a tendency to lean toward overbuilt in most things. However, if you believe that you'll NEVER load any rifle cartridges, then the standard turret press will do fine for pistol. I had one for many years.

The standard turret is not user friendly for rifle cases, particularly the longer ones. The Classic Cast turret is more rugged and has much more room for long rifle cases. However, that extra size requires you to move the handle over a considerably wider arc that DOES take more time actually reducing your output.

So, long story short, if you are NEVER going to do rifle, get the standard. If there is even a remote possibility you will be doing rifle, just "bite the bullet" and get the Classic Cast.

One place you should NOT economize is the powder measure. Lees Pro Auto Disc measure is CONSIDERABLY better than the standard auto disc measure.

Dale53

geargnasher
02-11-2012, 06:22 PM
Get the Classic Turret. Skip a movie and the cheese on your next few burgers, you won't be sorry you paid a few extra bucks.

Gear

troyboy
02-11-2012, 06:26 PM
I agree spend the extra money. I have 2 pro 1000 pistol presses and they are basically the same as the basic turret. I would not use for anything but pistol. If you are going to have one press buy the Cast turret.

Rayc384
02-11-2012, 06:58 PM
Have you looked at Midsouth Shooters Supply, there is only $30 between those two presses?

Le Loup Solitaire
02-11-2012, 07:00 PM
The older Lee Turret (3 or 4 hole) will load pistol very well, and strength-wise will handle rifle but its stroke is shorter than the newer classic cast turret. I would suggest getting the newer classic turret as it can do anything and the spent primer disposal system alone is vastly better. It is beefier and somewhat smoother in operation. It is costlier, but we pay for convenience. LLS

Atakawow
02-11-2012, 07:45 PM
I am very confused. There is no way the difference between a classic turret and a non-classic turret would mount up to $90.00. Are you comparing a kit against just a press?

Midway is showing a $30.00 difference between the two presses (only press). Yes, it is worth the extra $30.00 to upgrade.

wolfe28
02-11-2012, 09:41 PM
I am very confused. There is no way the difference between a classic turret and a non-classic turret would mount up to $90.00. Are you comparing a kit against just a press?

Midway is showing a $30.00 difference between the two presses (only press). Yes, it is worth the extra $30.00 to upgrade.

I'm comparing the prices of two kits, and the one that comes with the classic turret is made up by the shop (has all the stuff I would need, and none of the redundancy that I don't; like a second scale, I already have one of those, etc.). The other thing is that the "shop kit" has the option to get the pro disk powder measure, which I am finding out is the one to have.

Sorry for the confusion. Thanks for all the responses.

D

Ben
02-11-2012, 09:54 PM
You will buy the Lee Classic Turret press one time. It will most likely ( easily ) last you the rest of your life.

You can load pistol and rifle with the Classic. If you chose to buy the aluminum pistol model, you could not load a rifle round.

I don't believe you'd regret buying the Classic 4 hole turret press.

Ben

Dale53
02-11-2012, 10:26 PM
I would like to add to the clamor for the Lee Classic - I had forgotten about the decapped primer situation. The original turret press throws dead primers all over the place. The Classic captures every single one of them. That, in itself, is a reason to spend the extra PLUS the added versatility of rifle loading should you want to in the future.

FWIW
Dale53

13Echo
02-11-2012, 10:35 PM
For just the press at the Lee Factory Sales site the prices aren't different enough to make a difference in most cases. The 4 holer without auto index is $66. With auto index is $73. The Classic Cast four holer with auto index is $84. The standard press is a bit more compact and requires less handle throw and is more than adequate for pistol, and even most rifle reloading. The Classic cast is a relatively big press and will handle almost any reloading chore you may ever need to try. I really like the standard press for my pistol loading and even use it for some rifle but have a Redding turret and Lee Classic for rifle. If the Classic cast turret had been available when I bought the Redding I might have gotten it instead.

Try this site for pricing: http://fsreloading.com/lee-precision/lee-presses/

Jerry Liles

Jailer
02-11-2012, 11:02 PM
You will buy the Lee Classic Turret press one time. It will most likely ( easily ) last you the rest of your life.

You can load pistol and rifle with the Classic. If you chose to buy the aluminum pistol model, you could not load a rifle round.

I don't believe you'd regret buying the Classic 4 hole turret press.

Ben

Agreed. Why limit yourself to just pistol when for just a few bucks more you can get the Classic Turret?

Trust me, you'll be glad you did.

brassrat
02-11-2012, 11:19 PM
Classic turret for sure.

hk33ka1
02-11-2012, 11:36 PM
Classic Turret Kit from FS Reloading (formerly known as Factory Sales) Yes it has a scale but also a manual.

http://fsreloading.com/classic-turret-press-kit.html

ErikO
02-12-2012, 01:41 AM
Classic Turret Kit from FS Reloading (formerly known as Factory Sales) Yes it has a scale but also a manual.

http://fsreloading.com/classic-turret-press-kit.html

I know now what I'm asking for my Father's Day pressent. Thanks for the link!

Snyd
02-12-2012, 02:26 AM
Another plus one for the Classic 4 hole Turret. I load 45 Colt, 454 and 38spc with it. I've also got a Classic Cast single stage. These presses are stout.

rollmyown
02-12-2012, 05:18 AM
I think the Classic Cast Turret Press is the best buy in reloading gear. It is strong and reliable, fast and easy to work out, - you'll be glad you bought it many years from now.

If I could only keep 2 of my presses this would be one of them.

( the other, a Rockchucker I could not let go for nostalgia reasons)

Archey
02-12-2012, 08:45 AM
I have the cast turret press and I love it. I have extra turret heads for every caliber that I reload, no more fussing with setting up dies. My single stage press only gets used to size boolits now.

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-12-2012, 11:17 AM
Yep, The lee classic turret is the way to go.
Get the PRO auto disk measure and be sure to get the riser for it too.
I also like the safety prime kit as well.
Jon

Recluse
02-12-2012, 11:55 AM
If everything on my bench had to go except for one press, the Lee Classic Turret would stay.

:coffee:

wilit
02-12-2012, 01:41 PM
For what it's worth, I just ordered the Classic Cast, Safety Prime system, Auto Disk powder measure, measure riser and adjustable charge bar for $160 shipped from http://fsreloading.com

wolfe28
02-12-2012, 03:09 PM
Hey there;

Thanks for all the info and the link. I figured out that I can get the classic turret, and all the things I want to go with it, and still be cheaper than the kit that I was going to order.

Thanks,
D

geargnasher
02-12-2012, 03:19 PM
I'll give a hearty second to all those who mentioned the Safety-Prime system (get the kit with both large and small if it doesn't come with the press, I can't remember if it does or not but I think not with the Classic Turret), the powder measure riser, and the PRO Auto Disk measure. If you don't get the PRO version of the measure, get a swivel base adapter because the powder measure riser isn't enough to clear the safety prime without being able to index the measure toward the center of the turret head. Indexing the measure toward the center also makes the turret index more smoothly because it isn't off-balance. The Pro Auto-Disk has a built-in swivel fitting.

The Safety-Prime looks goofy but sure works well, and has the best primer flipper design of any tray I've ever used. Think of it as a Pez dispenser for primers.

Gear

Max Brand
02-13-2012, 12:55 PM
I'll cast another vote for the Classic Turret. Mine has over 50,000 verified rounds through it and there is no discernible wear at all. The only thing I ever had to replace was the ratchet disc ($.50) and that was my own fault.

Colorado4wheel
02-13-2012, 01:32 PM
I'm comparing the prices of two kits, and the one that comes with the classic turret is made up by the shop (has all the stuff I would need, and none of the redundancy that I don't; like a second scale, I already have one of those, etc.). The other thing is that the "shop kit" has the option to get the pro disk powder measure, which I am finding out is the one to have.

Sorry for the confusion. Thanks for all the responses.

D

Don't buy any Lee kit with the Lee scale. Go to
https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=630&category_id=190&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=41&vmcchk=1&Itemid=41

Buy the Dillon or Redding Scale.

brassrat
02-13-2012, 05:06 PM
That last comment about scales is right on. Get a good scale. I wasted $70 on a Lyman that is unused, after finding a used Redding in a gunstore.