PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question About PP Boolits...

Guy La Pourque
02-11-2012, 03:54 PM
The guys did a good job of the paper patch bullet and I want to try it. My questions is - are those things lubed before they're run down the pipe?

Seth Hawkins
02-11-2012, 04:34 PM
No. No lube is usually used. Some folks smear a little lube on the paper, but it's nothing like the amount of lube carried by a conventional grooved bullet. I don't really understand why some folks lube the paper, but some do.

Hardcast416taylor
02-11-2012, 05:07 PM
Myself, I put a light dab of JPW around on my paper patched bullets BEFORE I push then thru my sizers for just the reason of letting them slide thru a lot easier than forceing them. As far as loading them I don`t, as a rule, put any further lube on the patch.Robert

RMulhern
02-11-2012, 05:33 PM
Use a lube cookie Dude!!

Lead pot
02-12-2012, 12:37 PM
Myself, I put a light dab of JPW around on my paper patched bullets BEFORE I push then thru my sizers for just the reason of letting them slide thru a lot easier than forceing them. As far as loading them I don`t, as a rule, put any further lube on the patch.Robert

What kind of bullet do you have to feel you need to size a patched bullet?

BPCR Bill
02-12-2012, 02:15 PM
No sense in lubing a patch. Lubed patches can pick up dirt and grit in the field or on the range, and you get a bore lap job you didn't need or want. Lube cookies are placed between the powder wad and the top wad. You may find you may need to wipe between shots with a lube cookie, depending on the diameter of the patched bullet, and how deeply seated in the case the bullet is. If you are wiping between shots, no need for any lube. The lube is primarily to keep the fouling soft, and if you are wiping every shot, that is your fouling control

Seth Hawkins
02-12-2012, 05:06 PM

Do I understand you correctly - are you pushing your patched bullet thru a sizer? If so, why?

Hardcast416taylor
02-13-2012, 01:45 AM
Do I understand you correctly - are you pushing your patched bullet thru a sizer? If so, why?

My bad, I do the push thru size step for my smokeless cartridges.Robert

Seth Hawkins
02-13-2012, 10:01 PM
Ahhh.

RMulhern
02-14-2012, 12:15 AM

Yes sir....I do that! I patch a .444" BACO Money Bullet using .0022" thickness paper and then lightly lube and run in through a Fred Cornell .4445" sizing die which takes the size down to .447" and it shoots mighty well out of my 45 2 7/8! Course I'm also the Founder of the HUAC organization!!:holysheep

Don McDowell
02-14-2012, 10:53 AM
The guys did a good job of the paper patch bullet and I want to try it. My questions is - are those things lubed before they're run down the pipe?

Not sure what guys you're talking about.
As to the lube on the patched bullet the Remington reloading instructions from back in the 1870's said that you should load the cartridge ,seat the bullet and then take a drop of spermiccitti (now days we can substitute jojoba oil) on your finger and rub it on the patch, then take a cloth and wipe off the excess from the patch and the cartridge.
I have tried this method using jojoba and it works with some loads, others it doesn't.
I believe that a lubed felt wad or a lube cookie is better, I prefer the lubed felt wad.

giz189
02-14-2012, 07:39 PM
I like to roll the pp boolit in some dry graphite on my 45-70's that I hunt with, as I usually don't use a grease cookie with hunting loads. Just looks like it cuts down on friction between barrel and paper patch to my feeble mind.

Seth Hawkins
02-14-2012, 09:34 PM
Yes sir....I do that! I patch a .444" BACO Money Bullet using .0022" thickness paper and then lightly lube and run in through a Fred Cornell .4445" sizing die which takes the size down to .447" and it shoots mighty well out of my 45 2 7/8! Course I'm also the Founder of the HUAC organization!!:holysheep

You're doing it because you don't have a mould or swage die that will give you a bullet or core that's the proper pre-patched size. Is that correct?