PDA

View Full Version : Best Quality Brass

nanuk
02-11-2012, 03:30 PM
I'm gonna be working with my Savage219's this spring/summer in 30-30.

I have found new Rem brass. I can get new Win Brass

I also have some once fired mixed stuff.

as well, I have some 375Win, and some 38-55, new.

I'm interested in some different loads.

Hunting, with a PP, Hunting with a GG, Plinker, and a Long range target.

for some of my loads, I'm interested in the best fitting brass, and that appears to be the 38-55 stuff I have, that I can trim back to fit exact. This will be used for the PP, and the LR Target.

plinking will use whatever is left over.

hunting with GG will use the new or 1F factory.

Questions?
Is one brand of brass better than another regarding strength?

Which brand has the greatest capacity?

is there any difference besides Length between the 38-55 and the 375Win?

is there any difference between the 375Win and the 30-30? (besides neck thickness once necked down)

I have read on occasion remarks stating 375Win is "Much" stronger than 30-30.
but I question whether the brass manufacturers would bother with different quality on an identical base sized cartridge run.

so, perhaps some of you eggspurts can enlighten me with some hands on facts.

TIA
:popcorn:

stubshaft
02-11-2012, 09:28 PM
The brass marked .375 WIN has a thicker web than the 30/30. I used to use it exclusively to form 7mm IntlRim cases and other high intensity loadings. Back in the day I could get a bag of 500 pieces for $4.50.

My experience with other manufacturers was that Winchester was brittle and had to be annealed, Remington was too soft and usually PMC and Federal was what I would use to shoot sillywett. Others may/have a different take on this.

Nobade
02-11-2012, 10:29 PM
At normal 30-30 pressures I haven't found it makes any difference. I just pretty much use whatever I have and it all works fine.

excess650
02-11-2012, 11:24 PM
375 Win brass is much thicker than 38-55. Personally, I can't see any reason to try and form 30-30s from 38-55s or 375s. I have no complaints about my 30-30 brass whether they be RP, WW, or Federal.

nanuk
02-12-2012, 11:46 PM
I'm thinking here to have full support in the neck area, perhaps I am off base here as I could just necksize... and use a boolit that just fits.

as to using the 38-55, it is longer, so could be trimmed to a perfect neck length

this is Only a 30-30.... am I overthinking this?

Beau Cassidy
02-17-2012, 09:07 AM
I try to trim all of my rifle brass to the same length for hunting loads. For just burning powder- load and shoot. Its all about volume. As for mixing cases- in a .30/30 with cast I wouldn't wast my time doing that. You don't have a bench gun there. You should have acceptable results with mixed cases.

Rocky Raab
02-17-2012, 10:51 AM
Brass for the .30-30 isn't given nearly the QC attention that (for example) .308 brass gets. There are zero match quality .30-30 rifles, and most .30-30 ammo is fired and tossed by once-a-year deer hunters. So there's no incentive for the factories to make really precise .30-30 brass.

I concur that using .375 or other brass to form .30-30 is both pointless and bassackwards thinking. Using something rare to make something dirt common? Nah.

I prefer Federal .30-30 brass, then WW and then RP, but I use them all. None of my cast loadings push the limits of pressure, and even large variations between cases makes little difference in loads like that.

nanuk
02-17-2012, 12:02 PM
thanks guys.

I'm buying some factory rounds to generate brass as well I have some 1F stuff....

figured I would ask, as the prices differ greatly on the loaded stuff.... but I believe Federal is the cheapest.

I can get the other stuff at a very reasonable price, so that is why I asked about the other stuff.

also, if I PP for it, I'd like the longest I can get to fill the neck to the throat area.

TXGunNut
02-19-2012, 11:00 AM
Take a look @ Hornady brass. I don't usually use it but I recently tried it in 32 Spl-basically a necked-up 30-30. Very uniform length & weight and no flash hole burrs. Only costs a bit more than the rest and it's shipped in a box to prevent damage. This lot of Hornady had slightly greater capacity than some WW brass I purchased recently, necks were more uniform than the WW as well. I have tons of RP brass in 30-30 but most of it is too short to uniform with my Lee trimmer. I use a light roll crimp and length is critical for a uniform crimp.
Hornady brass is a bit harder to find but I'll be trying more of it soon.

uscra112
02-19-2012, 12:31 PM
Keep us posted on your 219. I've got one but have yet to get 'round to working with it.

Have you figured out how to scope it?

Mk42gunner
02-19-2012, 01:41 PM
About 30 years ago Federal did make some .30 American brass (.30-30 with a small primer pocket) that was supposed to be pretty good. The last time I saw any for sale, it had a pretty hefty price tag on it.

Just curious, what is the groove diameter on your 219? I have heard that SAavage 340's tended to run large and was wondering if the 219's do too.

I think I would just pick a brand of brass and stick with it.

Robert

Rocky Raab
02-19-2012, 02:17 PM
In my experience with the .219 Zipper, WW brass worked best because it was thin enough in the neck that it didn't require turning or reaming after being re-formed. RP necks were a bit thicker and Federal a bit more. I did have to ream the Federals - which is why I used WW after that.