PDA

View Full Version : Surplus Powder Rookie....

41mag
03-15-2007, 07:12 PM
Well I am new to the site, and for the most part the Surplus powders. I have shot some 872 in a wildcat I had built based on a necked down RUM case to take a .270 caliber bullet. I have also recently purchased some of the 860 in an effort to appease the appetite of another burner in 7 STW. I was hoping that between the standard 7 mag, the STW, and a few other 06' based cases I could work up some decent hunting loads.

I have been and will continue to research the older post, but if you have any recommendations on above mentioned calibers or the 06' based calibers, I am all ears. I mostly shoot medium to heavy bullets for caliber so fire away.

Thanks,
Mike / Tx

wiljen
03-15-2007, 07:24 PM
(WARNING: THE FOLLOWING IS A SHAMELESS PLUG)

This might save you some time as I compiled all the loads on castboolits and castpics until fairly recently.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showpost.php?p=140610&postcount=5

Wiljen

Ricochet
03-15-2007, 08:32 PM
I've used WC860 with 175 gr. Hornady SP bullets in 7mm Rem Mag. I used H870 data. My batch of WC860 is slightly faster than H870, giving a bit higher than published velocities, and the max load from my old Hornady manual is more than my M70 will comfortably handle in hot weather.

41mag
03-16-2007, 06:13 PM
Thanks Wiljen,

That should do me up right. Once my DSL is up and running, I will get it pulled down. Don't think I want to try it right now with dial up. LOL

Ricochet,

I remember talking with you a while back on the 860 as well. I have tinkered with it on a very limited basis, as other things seem to keep taking precidence. I am hoping to get out this weekend and burn a substantial amount of something through several of them.

Ricochet
03-16-2007, 06:36 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean about other things taking precedence.

Right now the weather here's not too promising.