PDA

View Full Version : Milsurp postal match feeler

singleshotbuff
03-15-2007, 05:36 PM
Gentlemen,

Just wondering what level of interest there would be in a postal match for milsurp rifles? Say ending at the end of May? I'd be glad to run it. If interested, please post here and/or PM me. Details can be worked out by level of interest, I was thinking;

50 yards
Offhand or bench (one or the other, we'll decide)
Shoot for group size
Any bullet/boolit or load
2 divisions, irons and glass.

What do you think?

SSB

Ivantherussian03
03-15-2007, 05:49 PM
Count me in:-D

NVcurmudgeon
03-15-2007, 06:40 PM
I'm in for offhand or bench as long as it's issue sights. Scopes or receiver sights move a rifle from milsurp to sporterized.

wiljen
03-15-2007, 07:17 PM
Count me in - my 1903 and 1917 could use a good workout.

45 2.1
03-15-2007, 08:05 PM
Straight as issued off the bench.

Uncle Grinch
03-15-2007, 08:58 PM
Sounds like my kind of fun!!

I want to play.

RayinNH
03-15-2007, 09:06 PM
As 45 2.1 said. My Krag needs exersize...Ray

singleshotbuff
03-15-2007, 10:06 PM
It's sounding like original sights, benchrest.

What say you all?

SSB

waksupi
03-15-2007, 11:32 PM
Lead on, McDuff.

robertbank
03-15-2007, 11:35 PM
I am in. Original sights either off a rest or offhand works for me. Sounds like fun.

Take Care

Bob

garandsrus
03-15-2007, 11:57 PM
I'll play...

Why not just have both categories, bench and offhand?

John

singleshotbuff
03-16-2007, 12:07 AM
OK Gentlemen,

Seems to be enough interest in this match. I put up a simple page on my (under construction) outdoor website. Please check it out, let me know what you think, and PLEASE E-MAIL ME from that page. this will let me know who all is in and will also let me test the e-mail link (I'm not a web designer by ANY stretch of the imagination LOL).

http://postalmatch.marshalloutdoors.com

Also, should we have benchrest and offhand divisions as suggested? I'm open to whatever will get people shooting.

Finally, I will be posting a link to this match at other forums, please feel free to do the same.

SSB

Kraschenbirn
03-16-2007, 10:15 PM
Works for me. Got a Garand that I don't shoot enough and a K-31 that I'm just beginning to develop loads for.

How 'bout separate divisions for Cast Boolits and J-Bs?

Bill

waksupi
03-16-2007, 10:20 PM
How 'bout separate divisions for Cast Boolits and J-Bs?

Bill

:Fire:Bite your tongue! Heathen!

robertbank
03-17-2007, 12:21 AM
Hey Spring is here boolits don't need jackets!

Take Care

Bob

crazy mark
03-17-2007, 12:53 AM
[QUOTE=NVcurmudgeon;161332]I'm in for offhand or bench as long as it's issue sights. Scopes or receiver sights move a rifle from milsurp to sporterized.[/QUOTE

What if you use a Madsen that had a receiver sight on it when it was made ??? Columbian Military in 30.06 Mark

Jim
03-17-2007, 08:31 AM
It's 8:25 AM and I'm having my coffee.:coffee: I went through the whole thread and then found Waksupi's response. It's really nice when I can start my Saturday with a good cup of coffee and a good belly laugh. :-D

Thanks, Waksupi!

Jim

handyrandyrc
03-18-2007, 12:20 AM
I'll be entering with my Yugo SKS. Leaded projectiles, for sure.

danski26
03-18-2007, 01:31 AM
Never tried one of these postal matches before but it gives me an excuse to get out and shoot my fn-49.

Bob S
03-18-2007, 11:48 AM
My vote:

No bench rest. Shoot for score.

100 yards min.

Three position: stand, sitting or kneeling, prone. Make it all slow fire and the guys with trapdoors and rolling blocks can play, too.

CMP rules for "as-issued".

For 100 yards, target TQ-4. Anyone can find it at most any Wally World.

Resp'y,
Bob S.

singleshotbuff
03-19-2007, 04:17 PM
Bob,

An offhand 100 yard shoot would be fun too. I may run one like that after the current 50/benchrest shoot ends, assuming a similar level of interest.

SSB

singleshotbuff
03-19-2007, 04:18 PM
If I start a clean thread about this match, with a link to the page, can someone make it a sticky for me?

Thanks

SSB

mike in co
06-18-2007, 03:45 PM
TARGET= a person standing up shooting a rifle............

3 position shooting is an antiquated game that has little to no relevance to todays shooting.

yep i'll ruffle some feathers, but i got no use for 3 postion shooting.

prone and from a rest...natural rest or benchrest.

in todays 3 postion shooting, shooters wear "shooting jackets" with hard backs that provide artifical support.

yes i occassionaly shoot postion matches, but mainly as support to a club.

i'll put my ammo and my guns against anyone prone or off a rest....all else is a waste of good ammo!

just one mans opinion.

mike

GrizzLeeBear
06-25-2007, 10:38 PM
TARGET= a person standing up shooting a rifle............

3 position shooting is an antiquated game that has little to no relevance to todays shooting.

yep i'll ruffle some feathers, but i got no use for 3 postion shooting.

prone and from a rest...natural rest or benchrest.

in todays 3 postion shooting, shooters wear "shooting jackets" with hard backs that provide artifical support.

yes i occassionaly shoot postion matches, but mainly as support to a club.

i'll put my ammo and my guns against anyone prone or off a rest....all else is a waste of good ammo!

just one mans opinion.

mike

Well, I would guess that a majority of deer, etc. are shot from a standing or sitting position. I don't pack a bench with me when hiking through the woods. So, I wouldn't say position shooting has no relevance today, and neither would all the other shooters at the highpower match I shot this weekend. besides, were talking about shooting "antique" mil-surps. Why not shoot them in antiquated game?

Benchrest is a test of equipment. Position shooting is a test of the shooter.

Why don't you do both. Use the target Bob S suggests, "as-issue" sights. Shoot 1 target at 50 yards standing, no supportive or "hardback" shooting coats. Shoot another target at 100 off a bench or prone.

Bob S,
yes, I am the same Grizzleebear that posted on you stripper clip thread over at nationalmatch.us. I'll post my results on the match I shot Sunday with the 1912 Mauser over there.