PDA

View Full Version : chronographs, best and cheapest

Rio Grande
02-10-2012, 08:28 PM
I'm thinking of buying a chronograph w/ the tax refund... don't know a whole lot about them.
What would be the best inexpensive model?
Are the inexpensive ones reasonably accurate?
thanks.

canyon-ghost
02-10-2012, 08:49 PM
The cheapest chronograph made is better than estimating velocity from load data. Most give you shot string velocity and average velocity. The cheap ones usually just take a nine-volt battery. I found them easy to set up and use.

BossHoss
02-11-2012, 09:17 AM
I use a Chrony Beta , I think it is the middle of the road model, with remote display.

I position it 10 ft from the muzzle, firing line, with the display on the bench next to me.

9v battery, yup.

I made a set of of lights for the diffusers for indoor use, works great.

However....I need to make a 1/2 inch thick steel carrier for it, as it has been shot twice ....[smilie=1:[smilie=1:, thankfully i did not get the "eye".

Great device...

Greg in va
02-11-2012, 09:32 AM
I've got 3 of these things, 1 is a PACT, 2 are the Chrony. I use the chronys all the time, I use the PACT before I go to a big match to confirm my reading from the other. I place the Chrony inside the PACT and shoot thru both at the same time and compare the results....its always been just a few fps difference between the two.

jmorris
02-11-2012, 09:43 AM
I have 3 too, the shooting chrony gets used the most as it is the most compact so always seems to be there when I want to use it.

200swc
02-11-2012, 09:58 AM
If the loads are stated in the manuals, do you really need to chrony them?

QuickRick
02-11-2012, 10:21 AM
I am very happy with the CED Mark 2 I purchased last year from Midway. It is very easy to set up and use. I also like the large LCD display. The user reviews on various sites seem to be 98% on the positive side. I have read this chrono is commonly used at various handgun "super shoots" to determine the power factor of loads used in competition. This would seem to be a good indication as to its ease of use and accuracy. Good luck with whatever you choose. For me a chronograph has been like a microwave, after using my first one for awhile I couldn't understand how I could have possibly lived without it...

Maven
02-11-2012, 10:23 AM

"Need" is too strong a word. However, since it is difficult to exactly duplicate the test conditions used to generate that data, you may want to see just how a given CB (weight, design, diameter) and powder charge (type of powder and amount) performs in your gun. A chronograph is also quite useful, maybe even necessary, when working up loads with some of the more exotic miitary surplus powders, e.g., IMR 7383 and IMR 5010 (especially the former).

To the original point: I use the F-1 Shooting Chrony, but keep a pencil and paper handy to record the results, a minor inconvenience. The results, with all inputs held constant, have been repeatable. However, the device is sensitive to the sun's position, which results in missed readings and/or tilting the tripod head away from the light (most inconvenient).

r1kk1
02-11-2012, 10:39 AM
A chronograph has been a very useful addition to the tools I use. It has been helpful in so many ways. I have found that with some powders that I don't use as much crimp before and has been helpful in neck tension with some of the rifle rounds. It gives me another numerical value in addition to group measure.

take care,

r1kk1

rasto
02-11-2012, 02:11 PM
In my humble opinion If you want to start reloading the chrony is a necessity to buy after reloading equip itself.
I ment sport reloading not just for punching targets.
I have got three Chrony and 2 Pro-Chrono Plus.
One Pro -Chrono was shoot to death :-( other one bought for the club and works flawlessly for years.
It is the one of my choise for the next buy.
First Chrony was send back to company due to the measure malfunction.
The returned one wasn't allright so I sold it.
The next Chrony Master stayed at home and works good under shiny conditions
That's my two cents.

bbqncigars
02-11-2012, 02:21 PM
I've been happy with my Oehler 35. The 35P is currently available from Oehler, but may not be for long.

Greg in va
02-12-2012, 09:56 AM

YES, They are a good guide but I never trust them. If you are going to a big match and need a certian power factor you must use one or you run the risk of being disquaified. If you are zeroing at 200yds and are looking at the vel for down range ballistics and hold over you must know the speed or you run the risk of missing the aminal or worst.

200swc
02-12-2012, 12:05 PM
I wouldn't want to be held out of a match for that. I may have purchase one.

Never had them check at the matches but don't need to chance it.

joken
02-12-2012, 06:26 PM
I just bought my first chronograph on the cheap. I got the entry level chrony from Wal-Mart online for $73 and change delivered. I think it was cheap enough that the trade in value is equal to or more than I paid for the darn thing. BTW, it works. Ken

200swc
02-13-2012, 09:31 PM
Has anyone used the Competition Electronics Prochrono?

They seem to be reasonalby priced.

r1kk1
02-13-2012, 09:47 PM
I have one of Competition Electronics with USB hookup to my laptop. It has been a great chronograph for shotgun and muzzleloaders. I have less errors with the C.E. than other brands I've tried.

Would love to have an Oehler.

take care,

r1kk1

cajun shooter
02-14-2012, 10:51 AM
I have the CED M2 and for $200 it is a nice set up. It will give you the power factor of your rounds and record up to 1000 shots. It is the choice of many shooting groups such as IDPA, SASS, UPSA and so on. Check them pout on the web. I will advise you to purchase the factory carrying case as it is made for it and padded for $38. Later David

Shiloh
02-14-2012, 11:50 AM
Chrony Beta I believe.

The next step up from the basic model. Mine is blue if that is an indicator.
Traded a Red Alpha unit that caught a 220 gr RN. From a .30/40 Krag.

Check for front rest, or in my case sandbags for settling before you shoot.:wink:

Shiloh

LUBEDUDE
02-15-2012, 01:11 PM

Just another thing to add :

It is my understanding that the bullet companys (maybe not all) use a "test" barrels and not a "real" gun.
So if you are shooting a revolver, you have lost gases escaping. I was surprised how far off my loads were comparing revolver to the manual.

:Fire:

Haven't seen it with an autoloader or rifle.

Rio Grande
02-19-2012, 12:56 AM

There's not too much data out there on the loads I am working with, 7.62x38r (gas-sealed and otherwise) and round balls in the .45 acp from 2" barrels!
Also, need to check velocity from air guns.

I went ahead and ordered the F1 chrony. I hope I'm not disappointed, most say no problem, but others have had to return the units...

cajun shooter
02-19-2012, 09:02 AM
That was the one gun that my CED M2 would not give me a reading on. It is a pump type of BB/Pellet Rifle. I don't have the Night time or indoor screens and feel this may be the problem with trying to receive the BB reading.