PDA

View Full Version : Kobalt Needle Files

wv109323
02-10-2012, 07:34 PM
I was shopping in a Lowe's store yesterday and seen something that interested me. They had a set of Kobalt Needle Files that had an end on them that fit into a large handle. The end was much like the six sided multi-bladed screwdriver but the ones for the files had a locking mechanism. The files were both conventional and diamond impregnated.
I have a set of needle files that I use regularly. The drawback is the small shank of the handle is hard on your hands. I have never been sucessful with a " one handle fits all files". In my experience the handle keeps coming off the small straight shank of my needle files.
I was wondering if anyone has tried the Kobalt and what do you think of them? The ones I was looking at were about $20.00 for the files and another $5-9.00 for the handle.
I would appreciate your comments if you have experience with these.

Jammer Six
02-10-2012, 11:34 PM
I've never used that system, and when I saw it, I thought it was an answer in search of a problem.

I've always installed handles on all my files.

Pepe Ray
02-11-2012, 12:17 AM
Composit wine bottle stoppers make great handles for small tools.

hickstick_10
02-11-2012, 04:22 AM
drill a hole in an old golf ball, insert file

Bret4207
02-11-2012, 09:08 AM
I used to have a screwdriver handle shaped pin vise that fit needle files nicely. Lost it someplace. I saw the rigs at Lowes, but IIRC they were rather expensive for what you were getting, $10-12.00? Harbor Freight files work for me.

gnoahhh
02-11-2012, 10:06 AM
I guess I'm an odd duck, but I prefer no handles on files- jewelers, Swiss, mill, etc. I have always felt I had better control without a handle, but that's just me. I do put handles on files that I use when free-handing stuff in the lathe. The thought of the file catching on a spinning object and driving the tang back into my wrist gives me the willies.

kywoodwrkr
02-11-2012, 12:42 PM
drill a hole in an old golf ball, insert file
Make sure the golf ball is not an old liquid filled one!

olafhardt
02-13-2012, 04:39 AM
I wrap duct tape arround several times. Works for me but made a terrible mess when I wrapped a duck in it.

Tokarev
02-16-2012, 04:36 PM
Can be made in 5 min from a machine screw, computer case thumbscrew and any rod.
I used a leg from 1950s serving table - it was already threaded for that bolt on the top left.