PDA

View Full Version : Question for gascheck makers

Dthunter
02-10-2012, 12:47 PM
I see that Pat Marlin And the freechex makers work well.

But, would there be any way that theses punch systems could form the concave base that hornadys crimp on gas checks have?
Maybe reshape the punch base?
What do you guys think?

Does the top of the mouth of the Hornady gascheck have a little lip?
I am not sure if this is from the punching process, or formed intentionally.

If this would work, could this not help some slighly loose check materials/thicknesses work better? Give us guys a few more options.

Just throwing some ideas out there.

arjacobson
02-10-2012, 06:52 PM
I am pretty sure I could duplicate the cupping that you are talking about. I do have some hornady checks and will take a look at them to see what I can come up with

lead chucker
02-10-2012, 07:04 PM
I am using the free checks II for my 30 cal and my material is 16 thousands best I can figure. With the lee push through sizer them checks are on there tighter than the hubs of you know what. Can't pick them off or twist them. Happy days.

JeffinNZ
02-10-2012, 08:48 PM
You don't need a crimp ring thingy. They work fine without.

arjacobson
02-10-2012, 09:01 PM
less work for me[smilie=l: Actually with my GCM I have never had a problem with the checks not crimping good. Mine too are really crimped on when run through a lee sizer. Never really had a problem with loose checks

Sonnypie
02-10-2012, 09:33 PM
The only loose gas checks I have found are when I go below .011" thick material.
They just don't want to stay on without something to stick them.
.011" and thicker sets fine for me with my Lee push through sizer. That's the beauty of it, it pushes the gas check tight to the base while crimping it to the shank.

Not sure what your point would be with a concave base. That explosion will squirt that chunk down the bore either way.
Taking a Lee pusher, you could easily make it slightly convex so it dented the gas check (or dimpled it, if you will) as it pushed it through.

The gas check... well, checks the gas and helps seal the gasses behind the bullet. :veryconfu

Or if you are really, really stuck on it, just buy the checks you like. :popcorn:

Dthunter
02-11-2012, 01:37 AM
Sonnypie, I was curious if the concave base the hornady checks have is by design or not.

I figured as the gascheck was seated the pressure from the sizer pushes the bottom flat,and turn the sides of the gascheck inward to aid in crimping.

The physical effect of ignition has nothing to do with my question.

I am not stuck on any gascheck design, just wanted to see if the concave base on the gas checks was there by design.

Yes, the gaschecks seal the gases behind the bullet (at least it aids it) thats the theory. lol!

I hope to make my own soon.
When my check tool arrives.

Have fun guys!

Sonnypie
02-12-2012, 12:29 AM
Well the Hornady I have all seem to be fairly flat.
But I see what you mean.

Even the Hornady checks wound up flat and tight to my bases after sizing. The pusher on the Lee sizing dies is flat and it is forcing the assembly through the die by pressing any gas check hard to the bullets base.
(A feature I like. Assures the check is tight before it gets sized (crimped) onto the shank.)

I still think that if you want to retain that shape you could ever so slightly convex the Lee pusher. Then no matter what checks you could get a slightly dished base.
Think it might seal better?
(Thinking along the lines of con-vexed base muzzle loader mini ball slugs.)

There are a lot of other variables that come to mind that could/would affect the final bullet.
And considering the 10's of thousands of PSI behind that base and bullet at firing, there's a lot of squash going on there.

But modifying the Lee pusher is how I would start to retain that slight concave. :idea: