PDA

View Full Version : Meat Slicer

oksmle
02-10-2012, 11:49 AM
In a couple of weeks I'll begin shopping for a new meat/cheese slicer. Any of you guys have a favorite? Pros or cons.... Would like to keep the cost under $300.00. Am I being too cheap?

Bodydoc447
02-10-2012, 12:06 PM
I bought a reconditioned Oster model from Cabelas (catalog about $100). I have used it to slice meat for cheesesteaks and to slice home made Canadian style bacon. It does okay but it is not an industrial model by any means. I think my money would have been better invested in a slightly heavier duty model. If your budget allows my recommendation would be to get the most heavy duty model. I would browse the websites for sausage making supplies (Sausagemaker, LEM, etc.) to get ideas for model appropriate for your proposed uses and after you decide which one is best, then shop for price.

HTH,
Doc

Themoose
02-10-2012, 12:38 PM
You may want to try sales and auctions for a real "Butcher" type slicer... I had a couple of the smaller units(Oster I think) but they had plastic gears and I burnt them up slicing cheese... I lucked into an old Toledo Scale slicer complete with scale that was made back in the 20's or 30's... a little elbow grease, epoxy paint and a touch up of the blades(sharpener was included) and I have a real solid unit... it makes a huge difference when slicing hams, lunchmeat etc... cheese is still an issue... maybe I shouldn't "cut the cheese" any more.

TheMoose

Breadman03
02-10-2012, 01:58 PM
After working behind a deli counter for a couple years, I won't touch any food processing stuff from Target, WalMart, etc. When I get one, I plan on checking the restaurant supply houses.

Dark Helmet
02-12-2012, 12:59 AM
Find a used commercial model with a sharpener, it may cost some more up front but what else can you put a whole boned out ham on or a block of cheese or slice your own (boneless only on a slicer!) chops, steaks, etc.

gbrown
02-12-2012, 01:12 AM
The big commercials go for well over $1,000.00 these days. New about 1800.00. I'm talking about the ones found in the deli sections of the big super markets. I have my eye on one in a pawnshop that they are asking $700.00 for. Have an internet page taped to it showing a similar used one for $1400.00. A month or 2 from now, I'll see what they will take for it. $500.00 would be a steal!!! Wish me luck!

Elkins45
02-12-2012, 01:16 AM
I bought an older model hand crank slicer off eBay recently, but I haven't gotten around to using it yet. I figured a hand crank model is better than a weak electric motor. Time will tell if that theory is correct.

MBTcustom
02-12-2012, 01:25 AM
I worked at Kroger in the deli for 2 years when I was going through college. What a job! I enjoyed it so much that I continued to work there part time after I got out of college and while I was doing my regular job as a machinist. We used hobart slicers and they were my pride and joy. I was the only one who kept them sharp and oiled. I have no idea what one goes for used, but if you could get a hold of one for any price it would never let you down.
Then again, I just did a quick search on e-bay and found this little gem
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hobart-Meat-Slicer-/180817154246?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a198ad0c6

Dark Helmet
02-12-2012, 08:29 PM
That looks like the model I used about 15 years ago, good machine, just don't submerge the center plate/blade guard when cleaning it. It has a pot metal/aluminum part that screws on the back that the center bolt threads into. Water will get between the plate and the rear part and start corroding that pot metal bit.

DLCTEX
02-13-2012, 10:32 AM
I have an old white painted machine that is probably from the 50's, or earlier. My brother gave it to me from some property he bought that had belonged to a horder. Still works great.

shdwlkr
02-13-2012, 11:06 AM
Oksmle
First you don't say how often you will use your meat slicer
Second what will you cut with it
Third a good meat slicer is not going to be in the $300 price range if you are really going to use it as such they just don't hold up.
If all you are going to do is cut cheese and deli meats for home use then you can find a good one in the $400-700 range depending on what size you need for max cutting.
As one person said here you do not slice bone in meat with a meat slicer you cut it with a meat saw hand or electric.
here is a website that might help you decide http://o-guy.hubpages.com/hub/Meat-Slicer
I am looking at the Berkel 9 inch model myself
It is very important to have an idea what you are going to be using your meat slicer for 10 plus years down the road.
One reason I like Berkel, Globe, Hobart is that they are restaurant known slicers, parts are available for them which gives you an idea of how long the company feels they should last.
Good luck in deciding

oksmle
02-13-2012, 11:50 AM
Thanks folks. Your ideas will get me started in the right direction.

Elkins45
02-14-2012, 09:43 PM
Here it is slicing some venison bacon...it worked great!

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm35/elkins_pix/slicedbacon.jpg