PDA

View Full Version : shootin' my k-31 with darrell mount...

mike in co
06-26-2005, 03:49 PM
ok right off the bat....i shot sierra 174 311's. i slugged the muzzle and my k31 is 310 x 302. this was a major disappointment, but it was a cheap gun from big 5. this was the same load i use in my 91/30 with hornady 174 hpbt. just a few to put the scope on paper. i used weaver rings which gave a nice rezero. spent some time centering the mount mostly up and down with a minor left right adjustment. put the scope on, fired a round....adjusted the mount a bit left to right...and then again. put a target at 100yds, fired a two rounds getting a better zero...then put three rounds in the x ring( an sr-21 target.....less than an inch.

best i can tell the mount did not move and these were some stout loads...flat primers....

looks like time to put some cast slugs down the bore.......

jh45gun
06-26-2005, 09:08 PM
Sounds good. I bet that most milsurp rifles are not exactly bore size and as long as it shoots accuarate thats what counts. I plan on shooting some cast in mine this week I hope. Jim

Buckshot
06-27-2005, 05:08 AM
............I just faxed in an order to Graf & Son for brass (284 Win) and dies (Lee) this evening. Maybe I'll have the makings end of the week or the following. Maybe I'll get to shoot it next Tuesday, but more likely it'll be 2 more weeks before I can pop a cap in it.

..............BUckshot

jethrow strait
06-29-2005, 09:08 PM
Mike, sounds like you're happy with that Darrell mount. Hope so, cause I just got in line for one from the next production run. He's already got 18 of the 30 committments he needs to go. Thought I couldn't wait, but in reading about the alternatives, I decided I could. Reports of the S&K coming loose as well as blockin the ejection of brass. Almost went with the Pierre Clamp-on, but with that straight-pull action and my desire to partially size reformed .284 Win cases, decided it would be best to keep the area near the bolt clear of any optical hardware, since I'll most likely be pounding on the bolt handle quite a bit!

I did find an old Williams FP receiver sight for a Win Model 70 to work just fine mounted on the very rear of the curved left side of the receiver. So, I'll go with that for now. jethrow

Scrounger
06-29-2005, 09:32 PM
Mike, sounds like you're happy with that Darrell mount. Hope so, cause I just got in line for one from the next production run. He's already got 18 of the 30 committments he needs to go. Thought I couldn't wait, but in reading about the alternatives, I decided I could. Reports of the S&K coming loose as well as blockin the ejection of brass. Almost went with the Pierre Clamp-on, but with that straight-pull action and my desire to partially size reformed .284 Win cases, decided it would be best to keep the area near the bolt clear of any optical hardware, since I'll most likely be pounding on the bolt handle quite a bit!

I did find an old Williams FP receiver sight for a Win Model 70 to work just fine mounted on the very rear of the curved left side of the receiver. So, I'll go with that for now. jethrow

I almost bought one of those mounts a couple of times, but there's just something about paying for something that is going to be built sometime down the road that just sticks in my craw. I wish he would handle it differently. I assume he is making a profit on these and not just having them made up out of the goodness of his heart. That's OK. But why not order a hundred or two at a time, and have them available for buyers. If he doesn't want to get into the business, license the manufacture to B-Square or somebody. They would sell many times the numbers he's moving now. And shooters would be better served, and he would likely make more money. He keeps p-----g around with this, someone else WILL design a workable mount and get it in production and put him out of business. MOJO is producing Iron Sights for it now that are pretty good too.

jh45gun
06-29-2005, 10:42 PM
Jethro once the 284 brass is sized right they work perfectly their should be no need to pound on the bolt handle. Jim

jethrow strait
06-29-2005, 11:12 PM
Naws at yer guts a bit don't it Scrounger. But if you need it bad enough, it might be best to think of it as "quaint". Nothin like his stuff, at any price, right now. But, I'm not about to become Darrell's pitchman; give him an email if you like. He's very prompt and communicative, but I doubt he would heed any exhortations to join the economic mainstream. No way he's doing it primarily for the money. There are people like that you know, but, of course, they don't last long, for better or worse. jethrow