PDA

View Full Version : Alox off after loading TL boolits

Wilsknife
02-09-2012, 11:24 PM
I would like to know if it is necessary to remove Alox after loading a tumble lube bullet. It seems to me the Alox would affect accuracy. If it is necessary, how would you remove it? I've tried WD40 and paint thinner. They don't work very quickly. Anything faster?

"There are many folks, in the world, that would be improved by a little
lead therapy." - Me 2012
:grin:

stubshaft
02-09-2012, 11:27 PM
Doesn't seem to affect accuracy in the boolits I load.

mdi
02-10-2012, 01:46 PM
I wouldn't think it "necessary". If I have a little too much on the nose of my bullets, I'll wipe it off, but it's mostly for looks. I usually just use a shop rag...

DukeInFlorida
02-10-2012, 05:50 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhh. you're using TOO MUCH!!!

You are using too much alox. That's why you are concerned about removing it after loading.

Here's the suggestion:

Dilute the Alox with mineral spirits until the liquid is a pale straw color. In other words, mostly mineral spirits. Tumble the boolits in that liquid, and place on wax paper to dry.

Now when they dry, they should be covered with a very thin layer of Alox, and be "dry" to the touch. Almost waxy. The Alox should be just about invisible. That's all the lubrication your boolits need.

Once you start processing your boolits this proper way, you won't even see the stuff that you previously were concerned with.

If you mistakenly use Alox right out of the bottle, it's a goopy mess.

Shiloh
02-10-2012, 08:00 PM
+1 to what Duke says.

A thin varnish of thinned alox is all that is needed. If done this way, it'll dry to a somewhat hard finish. If pt on too thick, it is gummy. If you take over aloxed boolits out in hot and humid weather like what we have in the summer, it is a sticky nasty mess that attracts any loose debris that is around.

Shiloh

41mag
02-11-2012, 07:02 AM
On some of my more energetic loads I use probably a bit more than necessary, but so far it works and I don't mind the extra. When I DO wipe it off the noses after loading I usually use a somewhat textured shop towel and denatured alcohol. It seems to work really well and knocks the additional gunk off the noses, and dries fast enough I never worry about it penetrating any further.

I also will add that the Recluse method 45/45/10, is the way to go with Alox.

HiVelocity
02-12-2012, 06:54 PM
+1 for what these guys are telling you about the Alox.

I cut mine with mineral spirits and add in a tablespoon full of Johnson's Paste Wax.

I mix up 4oz at a time in the bottles that Alox come in. It really doesn't take much, in fact, your bullets should only have a golden "haze" on them. Thats all you need.

Now, I remove what is on the bullet tips with acetone. Comes right off.

Just food for thought,

HV

MikeS
02-14-2012, 05:46 AM
Done properly, and by that I mean a very very thin coating, there's no reason to remove any that's on the nose of the boolit. If shooting rifle boolits, another method of using the liquid Alox would be the dipping method that Ranch Dog uses. By doing this you have Alox only on the driving band area of the boolit, and the nose stays nice and clean. It's also possible to do a mixture of methods, that is, give the boolits a tumble lube of a very thin coating, then size the boolits, then dip them for the final lube. I don't think the dip method would work to well on pistol boolits, as they don't have much to hold on to while dipping them!

Boolseye
02-14-2012, 09:27 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhh. you're using TOO MUCH!!!
+1. I can't add anything to the previous posts, except to say, "ditto"
I can think of no reason to remove alox from a boolit unless there is something going wrong with the lubing process.

williamwaco
02-14-2012, 09:38 PM
I think you are using too much lube. If you were not, I don't think the question would ever occur to you.

Navigate to:

http://www.reloadingtips.com/pages/exp_111201a_lla_test.htm

scroll down to the three .30 caliber bullets.
Your bullets should look like the one in the center.

Then see:

http://www.reloadingtips.com/pages/loading-40-sw.htm

scroll down to the two .40 cal bullets and look at the two, One with and one without lube.

If you are using more lube than this, you need to use less lube and tumble longer.

Welcome to the board.