PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Universal Power case Trimmer review

omgb
02-09-2012, 11:14 PM
OK, Awhile back I reported that I scored a Lyman Universal Power case trimmer at a junk shop. I took it home, replaced the cutter head, clean it up, lubed it and tried it out. here's my $.02. Don't buy one of these. Run, don't walk, to RCBS or just about anyone else. here's my gripes in no particular order:

1. The machine is pretty gutless. it stalls easily
2. The quick release universal chuck is anything but quick or universal (at least as I interpret the word) it is a real PITA to get larger case heads (7.62x54R or 338 Win) into and out of that chuck.
3. The concept of pushing in on the feed rod is kind of weak. RCBS power case trimmer is much easier. However, given the "Nancy Boy" weakness of the motor, not being able to put much thrust on the cutter head is a good thing I think.

4. Finally, the pilot heads are just a hair too big in diameter. it trims unsized cases just fine but run them through a sizing die first and the cutter pilot does not want to enter the case mouth.

So, listen, if you want a power trimmer go RCBS, it's a much better system and a much more robust set up. If you are working on large batches of the same caliber..go Dillon. That thing really smokes.

Oh, and another thing. I was given a .223 Dillon carbide sizer die. it is nice but not worth $150. The Lee die is just as good and a small fraction of the price. maybe after 10K rounds the Dillon would outlast the Lee, I don't know. It is a nice die but i wouldn't pay that much for it. One last thing. I broke the expander button on that die and Dillon replaced it free and with no hassle at all.

R Talley

dromia
02-10-2012, 06:19 AM
Well I've had one for 10 years or so and it works fine. I definitely couldn't say the motor is weak in fact its power and reliability is one of the things that impresses me about it, I've never had it stall. Maybe I'm not as strong as you. In fact yours sounds faulty.

I have no problem with the case chuck with larger and rimmed cases and like the design, guess it must be horses for courses.

I have never felt disadvantaged in any way by having to push the case onto the cutter and my pilots fit fine.

Isn't choice wonderful we can all find something that meets our differing needs. I'm glad the RCBS works for you. :D

milprileb
02-10-2012, 08:50 AM
You found it at a junk shop and small wonder the motor is not operating like a Rolls Royce.

Not sure you got a test going on or a test ride of a car wreck.

I don't much think the Lyman model is the ideal power trimmer and rather think the jury is in that the RCBS Trim pro is a better solution (total power model or use your electric drill).

I have nothing but grief to say about my Lyman trimmer with power shaft installed, same without power shaft : inconsistent cuts all over the map. I bought 2 of them because I thought the chuck case holder was a gem and wanted the best trimmers for me and the sons benches: I failed miserably to buy the best trimmers !

So dis satisfied am I that I am mailing both trimmers back to Lyman at my dime and asking them to not replace them, not pay me back and just pound sand.

That Dromia has better luck with his powered model is either good news about Lyman trimmers or he got one of the few that works well.

1hole
02-10-2012, 10:05 AM
4. Finally, the pilot heads are just a hair too big in diameter. it trims unsized cases just fine but run them through a sizing die first and the cutter pilot does not want to enter the case mouth.

That's as much due to your sizer's expander ball as the trimmer pilot isn't it?

My Universal trimmer case holder works quite well and has for three decades.

Trim length variations with most trimmers comes from brass shavings collecting at the junction of the pilot and cutter and stopping the cut. Pull the pilot out and clean the cutter before finishing the trim and you will likely find the final lengths to be very consistant.

milprileb
02-10-2012, 12:24 PM
clean the cutter before finishing the trim and you will likely find the final lengths to be very consistant.

Won't dispute that being a way to keep things right but unless my Lyman cutter heads are defective, I don't see accumulation of debris causing this. If I got to brush them out for every case I trim then the Lyman tool is the only one on the market that demands that. It may indeed be so but it won't improve performance.

When I want a trim cut to 2.178 and the cuts from Lyman tool give me 2.169 to 2.185, I consider this variance unacceptable. I have changed out cutter heads by the way but that does not remedy the wandering results.

My mileage on both Lyman trimmers is conclusive enough for me to resolve that the tool is
not the equal of Hornady, RCBS or Wilson.

If your results are better, good on you ! I wish I had your luck.

omgb
02-10-2012, 12:33 PM
It's possible that my junk shop trimmer has a weaker than normal motor. It's more likely though that I'm unconsciously comparing it to my Dillon trimmer which has the electric equivilent of a 427 Chevy Rat motor rather than a dinky little electric jobbie. Tons of over-kill in that puppy.

The chuck head just isn't slick. I replaced the case grippers, polished them too and the little springs but it still is sticky and just not so easy to use. The RCBS concept is wayyyyy better. Press down on the paddle, pop in the case and ready to rock'n roll. But one does have to have the various case head plates. -1 for RCBS.

As to the case mouth being too small....I tried an RCBS pilot and it slipped in with just a tad bit of drag. I didn't mic it but clearly the Lyman specs are a tad larger. This may be a case of mixed standards. Lyman dies may use a slightly larger expander button I don't know. These cases were sized in an RCBS X-die. That may be part of the problem right there.

Lyman stuff has become hit or miss these last few years. Some of it is very good indeed, other items not so much. In this case, I think the basic design of the Lyman is not so good as the RCBS. That's my opinion and clearly, others do not share it. I guess that's why both RCBS and Lyman are still in business, they cater to slightly different tastes and preferences.

R Talley

1hole
02-10-2012, 09:04 PM
"I tried an RCBS pilot and it slipped in with just a tad bit of drag."

My point is that a half thou or even quarter thou of difference makes a LOT of difference in a metal-to-metal fit. If both your pilot and expander diameters are at the wrong end of normal tolerances it's easy to get a slight misfit and that's not unique to any single manufactor. A bit of case lube on the pilot takes care of too snug necks for me.

I'm a mature man... I have NO blind loyalty to or dislike for any inanimate object; we can't get much more inanimate than the brand of a tool. I just use what works even if I have to replace it but I know a lot of 'tight or too tight fit' stuff is simply the luck of the draw, not 'quality' as such.

Pirate69
12-06-2012, 05:34 PM
Glad I found this thread. I need to replace the cutter head on my 110 volt Lyman Universal. How do you replace the head? I see it screws in. Do you take the cover off and lock the shaft in place some how?

o6Patient
01-11-2013, 03:49 PM
I started with a lyman and went to an rcbs and now am in the process of going back to a
Lyman universal trimmer. I really like the universal case rim chuck and when set up
correctly I have found it to be the quickest and easiest to use of all of them. On
my original one I did find that the pilots seemed to be a bit snug also. I think I took
some really fine emery paper and spinning the heck out of them they burnished to a
much better finish.. and function. You do want to start the case into the pilot before
the final snug on the chuck end, this will align the case with the machine's axis.:coffeecom

Head Shot
01-01-2015, 05:14 PM
Hello:
I know this post has a bit of age to it but id like to reresurect it for my post.
I have a Lyman universal power electric trimmer # 7862005.
Anyway I used it ocasionaly on small batches of cases but like another mentioned above my dillion rt1200 press mounted trimmer is the cat meow.
Ok heres my demise - I too tried removing the cutter head to put on a new hopefully sharper cutter and as lyman says to do I held the output end of the motors accesory shaft to keep the cutter from spinning while unthreading the cutter head.
But inside the drive gear box a fiber board looking gear stripped and now the motor doesn't drive the cutter due to the gear inside the gear box now being damaged.
Lyman says ship it in and they will fix or replace the gear box.
Well gal on phone at lyman shows gear box but no inside parts so im lead to believe they will put on whole gear box and chg an arm and leg which im not wanting to pay that much which she cant tell me till they look at sooooo ????
Heres my question = Any chance you or anyone you might know have a bad lyman universal power electric trimmer # 7862005 that the gear box or the gear is good that I could purchase to fix mine ?
Ill buy one even with bad motor or other bad parts as long as I have a good gear or gear box.
Eigther that or I need to sell mine for parts.

Thanx Head Shot

country gent
01-01-2015, 05:39 PM
If you can find an appropriate material, (fiber board, nulon derlin or other plastic may also work) measure up what you need and make the blank bolt the old to the new tight and with a jewelers file and patience a new gear can be cut as long as the teeth arnt compeletly gone. May take 2 or 3 times fitting it together to get dead right. Lyman may be buying a ready made power unit for the trimmers also. Keep in mind alot of times a fiber gear or plastic gear is there as the "weak link" so a cheap easy to replace part breacks rather than a more expensive harder to replace one. We had a mechanic decide to drill out a can opener for a bigger shear nail one time, since it would break the 3/16" one every couple hours. He took it up to 5/16 it then borke the toggle link so machine was down for just over 8 hours while new link was made and shear nail hole was bored and rebushed to 3/16. Find a similar material and use the old one as a pattern should take to long.

too many things
01-01-2015, 06:31 PM
If you use it right it works need to put neversize on the threads to get them lose . you can change both ends to do different things
I have one for 20 years and no problems
one thing is if you ream the primer pocket is not use the pilot ,I do all by hand that way you can move case
the trimming I did make a lever to use in front of the ball handle
reason was space and the lever worked for lack of space
one thing is the other end that has a brush or what you would use in it
Make SURE you keep a cover on it . I will pick up a blanket
been there

Head Shot
01-02-2015, 11:46 AM
Hello:
Yes I checked into having one made out of some type of metal but the two machinists I talked to said various things as follows.
Cost to do would be more than the trimmer was worth.
The pitch of the gear was going to be difficult.
Adding the center smaller gear onto the inside center of the outer stripped gear would be difficult .
There were other explanations but it pretty much gave the no cant or wont do it answer.
For me im either going to find one or eliminate the lyman trimmer all together from my bench.
I can understand the gears material as for say the weak link for saving the rest of the trimmer but I don't understand it when you CANT GET THE PART to repair the trimmer easily and not so sure you can per lyman.
Think you buy the entire gear box assembly is the impression im getting from the gal at lyman.
Head Shot