PDA

View Full Version : 9mm loads for Marlin Camp Carbine

sgt
02-09-2012, 08:04 PM
I am a rookie at this site, I hope this is the right place to post this request: I need 9MM Luger loads for a Marlin Camp Carbine, cast loads for sure.........

Thanks
Sgt

mroliver77
02-10-2012, 12:22 AM
First, welcome to the place! Tell us a bit more about yourself.

Second, give us more information. What boolit, what powder etc. Do you cast your own or purchase? Have you loaded cast before?

Third, do some reading on this site and over at castpics and lasc (link at bottom of page). You will find information on slugging your barrel, doing a chamber impression, fitting a boolit to the throat and other needed info. There is scads of info in the stickies.
Jay

GREENCOUNTYPETE
02-10-2012, 06:24 PM
there are some great stickies about loading 9mm , like mr oliver 77 said the first thing you need is to know how big the bore of your 9mm barrel is

the simple answer would be well 9mm right , no they vary widely well thousandths of an inch wildly but .0005 is enough to cause you a bunch of scrubbing

what most people not on cast boolits don't know is is that when you send a jacketed 9mm or most pistol cal bullet down the pipe it rides on the lands down the bore not filling into the grooves very much at all
it seems to me that manufacturers make their groove depth deeper so that if you over pressure a round more gas can get around it creating a greater safety margin

but with cast your filling the hole thing all the way into the groove so you measure your barrel groove depth by pounding a lubed soft lead sinker or ball thru the barrel.

then measuring it and sizing your boolits 1-2 thousands over that

on a powder note,in a carbine you might consider a slower powder like blue dot , to take advantage of the soft push and greater potential speed of the longer barrel

other things to note are that for me softer lubes seem to work better , i tried another casters boolits in my 40 recently , grateful to him for sending me samples , but i need them just a bit larger to fill my bore , i got some leading in the grooves , and had the fun of scrubbing it out he had a hard lube and was already sized to .4015 after slugging my barrel it seems i will need .402 maybe even .403 if i can chamber it. i make this comparison because 40 S&W and 9x19mm have many of the same issues with the same principals
i dropped his boolits in a small pot and heated it till the water carried the lube off then drained of the water dried and re lubed withe softer lube , it was better but lube can not fix a fit issue.