PDA

View Full Version : No Leading, Leading, then No Leading Again?

Josh Smith
02-09-2012, 06:47 PM
Hello,

I've been playing with a critter-getter load for my .45acp to control vermin up to the size of coyote, but mostly take raiding raccoon.

The idea is to make a 200 gain LSWC, in this case Lee micro-band, reliably operate the action of my 1911. It's a daily carry pistol that usually sees 230 grain bullets in the 890 to 950fps range (Federal and Winchester).

The recoil spring is 18.5lbs, the MS, 21lbs, and the firing pin plate is just slightly radiused. (I have one on the way that will have no radius; I am keeping it square.)

Now, I started loading at 4.4 grains of W231 and have been working my way up. The pistol started cycling reliably at around 5.5 grains. However, it didn't get 100% reliable until I hit 6 grains. That's a bit over max, but the bullet's seated depth is 0.240" or so. Crimp is 0.470, worked down from o.472.

I'm running about a half grain over max. I'm estimating my velocity at 950fps.

I've never run .45acp this fast before.

At about 5.0 to 5.5 grains, I started leading.

Lead is unknown hardness, but made from range lead and wheel weights. (I pick my lead out of the berm and reuse it, and got a junkyard just down the road!)

Lube is my stuff, the copper and graphite suspension.

Now, there's the weird thing: At about 5.6 grains on up, leading ceased! Also, accuracy went from ho-hum to nailing the target without even really trying!

I can't figure this out.

I only wanted to run faster so I don't have to change the recoil spring in the pistol when I change loads. Figured I'd have to play around in the range at which it cycled the pistol to get the precision I wanted.

But, at 15 yards, I was hitting a stick I set up. Said stick was only a couple inches wide and I was not resting the pistol.

Why did a higher velocity lead to less-to-no leading, and to greater precision? These are two things I never expected to find at +P pressures with lead boolits!

Thanks,

Josh

stubshaft
02-09-2012, 06:58 PM
You found the pressure level where obturation helped seal the boolit in the barrel.

Josh Smith
02-09-2012, 07:04 PM
Oh, I get it! Thought it had been sealing before.

So should I go to softer lead to keep from running these pressure levels? I don't doubt the gun can take it, but I really wasn't planning to run at +P.

I have a little bit of pure lead. Reckon I should maybe drop half a pound into a 4lb pot of the mystery mixture?

Thanks,

Josh

tomme boy
02-09-2012, 07:38 PM
I would put in a 16lb spring and back the loads down if it was me.

captaint
02-09-2012, 08:12 PM
You might try to leave those boolits .001 or so larger also. Mike

stubshaft
02-09-2012, 08:19 PM
Oh, I get it! Thought it had been sealing before.

So should I go to softer lead to keep from running these pressure levels? I don't doubt the gun can take it, but I really wasn't planning to run at +P.

I have a little bit of pure lead. Reckon I should maybe drop half a pound into a 4lb pot of the mystery mixture?

Thanks,

Josh

You have nothing to lose by trying it. Cut back a bit on your charges also.

When I started casting all of those years ago I thought that I needed harder alloys to shoot faster and be more accurate. This is true to a degree, but it wasn't until I got my BHN tester and softened the lead that I began to see my accuracy improve in the lower pressure ranges.

dnotarianni
02-09-2012, 09:46 PM
Here's my 2 cents
Add some pure lead to soften up the mix. 45acp only needs a bhn of 10-12 max for good sealing to the barrel.. I load a lot of 45 for steel plate matches and run 4.2 of Bullseye with a 230 head or 4.0 with a 185 head and a 14 lb spring. Speed is around 700-750 fps. As somebody said at the higher presure your sealing to the bore and the leading stops. Me thinks your bullet be too hard or your lube is failing.

dave

Josh Smith
02-09-2012, 09:52 PM
Hi Folks,

I've suspected the lead is too hard and what I'm reading here confirms it.

Not a fan of killing raccoons with a bang-a-buck ammo, and that's why this load is in development.

But, if I have to keep a 16lb recoil spring by the bed, then so be it. I'd like to run less hot. No reason to push a .45 over 1000fps for most applications!

I really keep meaning to get a hardness tester, but things keep coming up.

I'll take the remaining stuff I have and cut it with pure lead. We'll see how that works out.

Thanks again!

Josh