PDA

View Full Version : STEEL front sights for BFRs and Single Sixes

subsonic
02-09-2012, 03:38 PM
http://singleactions.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=sas&action=display&thread=7015

http://singleactions.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=sas&thread=7015&page=2#71334

Check it out! STEEL replacement sights for Rugers and BFRs that are held on with a screw.

2 dogs
03-01-2012, 05:09 PM
The Single Six sights are shipping now. PM me if you want a precision cut front sight for your BFR!

44man
03-02-2012, 10:18 AM
Great idea. I have no problems using the aluminum sights but the big trouble is needing different heights. Seems like most front sights on many guns are too low.
Some BFR's are shipped with 2 sights but not always.

44man
03-02-2012, 10:21 AM
The front sight I hate the most is on the old Vaquero. Need something for that. A small ramp with interchangeable blades.

2 dogs
03-02-2012, 10:48 PM
Sir, we will be making BFR sights here real soon. We can likely accomodate any height you might need. As to the Vaquero sights, I would suggest a dovetail front. We may be able to address that as well.

If you need some sights, or have a sixgun with too short of a front sight consider this information I sent to a group that has a special set of Ruger 44 special sixguns that all came with a way too short front sight:

Originally we had offered to build you a taller replacement front sight blank. However, there may be a simpler way. Let me explain, and bear with me, cuz this will take a minute. First, upon receipt of said sight, you still have to take/ship your sixgun to a competent smith whereupon you may never again see it during your natural life.

The smith has to heat your barrel enough to remove the original front. This will discolor the finish. Second, he has to clean up and reattach the blank with silver solder. This again requires significant heat. The blade has to then be finished, and the barrel will require a reblue. This can be pretty expensive. For those that intended to "screw" the base on the barrel, I did some measuring and cannot recommend that option for two reasons. First, it wont get you out of refinshing your barrel and second that will be a real shallow screw hole and may not hold the front sight on with peppy loads.

What I propose is that you guys "pull" the barrels off your sixguns. You can do this yourself or get your smith to do it. Go to the post office and get a padded mailer and send the barrel to me. What we will do is mill off the original front sight, and install a taller blade. I suspect I can get the blades from Ken ONiel easily enough, and he has them in 3 different heights. The blades will be secured to the original base via a roll pin. Thus, no bluing, no heat, and no shipping the whole dang sixgun, PLUS you will see it back relatively quickly. You then simply have the barrel reinstalled and you are back in business with a sixgun that shoots where it looks.

Now, lest you fear my new and tool and die guy is just some yoyo you dont want turned loose on your 595 dollar sixgun keep in mind he builds the fixtures to repair multi million dollar helicopters. I visited with him today and he will be doing an install on one of my sixguns soon so he can get an idea as to the real time cost on these. I also need to say I am not making a dime on this, just trying to help overcome this issue.

This plan will accomplish a number of things. First, you aint gotta pay scalpers prices to ship your gun. Second, you wont have to refinish. Last, this can also address all those OMs out there that came with a too short front.

PM me if you need further information.