PDA

View Full Version : can't convince myself to buy a 22 lr pistol

357reloading
02-09-2012, 01:43 PM
I have a Glock 17L that I enjoy shooting , reload my own ammo. Have a strong desire to buy a Browning buckmark with the long barrel seven inches or so. Problem is I think about all the lead, primers and powder that could be purchased and say no to the purchase. 71 years old, and no one to pass my guns to.

Just trying to convince myself I really dont need another gun. Cant find the time to shoot all that I have now. If my local indoor range goes to no reload policy, then I could justify.

Le Loup Solitaire
02-09-2012, 02:23 PM
22ammo is still fairly cheap and a 22 LR pistol is a fun gun to tote to the range in doors or out to shoot with without worrying about picking up brass or reloading it. It is fun to plink with if that is what you like to do. And there is a lot of guns to choose from that are sensibly priced. There is also stuff that is not the greatest quality or accuracy wise. If you want to shoot target then get yourself a good gun rather than something that is mediocre. Its not as much a question of who to pass it on to; it can always be sold off, but a question of enjoying something that gives you pleasure to own and successfully use while the scoreboard clock is still running. LLS

Ickisrulz
02-09-2012, 02:55 PM
22 long rifle ammo, in bulk, is still about the cost of a centerfire primer. They're lots of fun, no labor to reload for and a great way to introduce people to the shooting sports.

Trey45
02-09-2012, 03:00 PM
If you have your own place to shoot, setting up a rimfire bullet trap is pretty easy and cheap, and you can recycle the lead into 9mm bullets! I recently bought a Buckmark, well, not really recently, around Christmas and I do not regret it. I'm always going to side with the BUY IT crowd anyhow, if you want a new gun, BUY IT. I'm not going to talk you out of it!

Longwood
02-09-2012, 03:08 PM
The Buckmark is a pretty good choice.
A quality 22 is not only cheap to shoot, they will teach you to shoot well much faster than any other caliber.
If you want to learn to shoot pistol even "MORE" accurately, buy a good pellet gun and do a trigger job on it to practice your trigger pull.
Trigger pull is the most important part of accurate pistol shooting.

PS:
Pick up the brass if they will let you.
There are people here want it.

375RUGER
02-09-2012, 04:42 PM
Buy it. You can pass you firearms on to ME. Personally I'd get a Ruger, I sold my Buckmark because of feeding/extraction problems. But they probably make them better nowadays.

runfiverun
02-09-2012, 04:56 PM
shooting at the range is an excellent way to find someone to mentor.
passing along knowledge [to someone that cares] and has a lot of questions keeps the sport interesting.
when i was shooting trap a lot i found a young man that had the skills and the desire but his job at the range didn't pay enough to shoot in any events.
i would loan him a gun/shells and pay his entrance fee to some of the shoots and i was able to help coach his shooting.
the deal we worked out was, if he won any money we would split the purse,all trophies were his.
he worked hard and saved his money.
i eventually made him a very good deal on that shotgun and one of my reloaders.
i also done the same thing for my daughters ex boyfriend i gave him a metallic reloader i had picked up cheap,an older balance beam scale and assorted other stuff, some brass i had [brand new odd that they were there :lol:],and some bullets and boolits and taught him how to use them.
i never did have time to teach him how to cast before he left for tradeschool.

357reloading
02-09-2012, 06:36 PM
shooting 22 lr does not give me the charge of a center fire. Cost of local indoor is 13.78 a pop. driving to my gun club is over 40 miless, so cost savings on ammo is not that much of a consideration for me. My first hand gun years ago was a Ruger super blackhawk 44 mag. best shooter I ever had. Just like the single action and the big bang. Have glock 29 10MM that I enjoy.

looseprojectile
02-09-2012, 06:40 PM
for the Ruger. Have had two Buckmarks and both had issues.
Ruger can always be made to be reliable with a new magazine in the rare instance when it aint.
I just got a Ruger Hunter III. Ridiculous!! It has a plastic lower and 4.5" fluted barrel. Who ever thought to call a 22 pistol a "hunter anything" is short on brain cells. It will find a new home soon. The Mark one is the standard all others are judged by.
All citizens should have a high power rifle and a 22 pistol or a 22 rifle and a large bore handgun. Gots both. A man should not be without a 22, ever. [smilie=1:

Forgot to add, I am seventythree. And enjoy every day. Is getting close to the day when I won't be here. No problem!!

Life is good

Jim Flinchbaugh
02-09-2012, 06:44 PM
I jsut got a Buckmark Camper model 2 months ago, Its a sweet little pistol.
My store had a deal going on the pistol 2 extra mags, a Browning soft zipper case, and it came
with Marbles high-vis front sight and adjustable rear. all for 299$
I put an ATI halo sight on it, them grouse are in trouble next fall :mrgreen:

bullshot
02-09-2012, 06:45 PM
I have a Glock 17L that I enjoy shooting , reload my own ammo. Have a strong desire to buy a Browning buckmark with the long barrel seven inches or so. Problem is I think about all the lead, primers and powder that could be purchased and say no to the purchase. 71 years old, and no one to pass my guns to.

Just trying to convince myself I really dont need another gun. Cant find the time to shoot all that I have now. If my local indoor range goes to no reload policy, then I could justify.

NEED is not a factor, WANT is where it's at. Go for it.:-D

Lee
02-09-2012, 06:46 PM
Ruger 22?? Plastic lower?? Jerks!!

Ya know, it ain't broke, don't fix it. I've a short barrel MkI and a long barrel MkII...... Love them both. Sometimes, just sometimes, it's not just all about the Bang! (but not often:drinks:

looseprojectile
02-09-2012, 06:55 PM
management course.

Need is the driving engine of communism!

Want is the driving engine of capitalism!

You know you want it. Get it!

Even a Browning is gooder than nuttin.

Life is good

Catshooter
02-09-2012, 07:10 PM
The only 22 pistol I own is the one my father killed his first Japanese soldier with. Have no use for them.

There is no 22 ammo that is cheaper than what I can cast/reload for.

I can reload for less than 22 recoil if I want.

I can't reload 22.

Waste of money, for me.

Cat

Ben
02-09-2012, 07:14 PM
I have no reservations in recommending the Ruger.
I shot a brick of Fed. hp's through mine yesterday. 100% flawless and super accurate.

Ben

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/Ruger%20MARK%20III%20Hunter/DSCN0753.jpg

starnbar
02-09-2012, 07:32 PM
Hey let me tell you something i was supposed to go on a buff hunt in north dakota a few years back i passed the first year and my buddy who invited me had a stroke and died so i never got to go. If you want that pistol buy it now and never second guess it you never know when your number can come up i am only a few years younger than you i will never pass up an opportunity again. thats just my 2 cents live long and enjoy my friend.

Firebricker
02-09-2012, 07:41 PM
If you get one I doubt you will regret it. If you do regret it you can always trade it. Once in awhile it's nice to shoot something a little quieter. I think you'll enjoy it. FB

LUCKYDAWG13
02-09-2012, 07:47 PM
71 years old, and no one to pass my guns to.

Just trying to convince myself I really dont need another gun. Cant find the time to shoot all that I have now. If my local indoor range goes to no reload policy, then I could justify.[/QUOTE]

CAN YOU TAKE THE MONEY WITH YOU GET THE 22 YOU LIKE
AS LONG AS ITS A MARK 2#

Blacksmith
02-09-2012, 08:16 PM
Leave your guns to a pro second ammendment organization to defend our rights.

JeffinNZ
02-09-2012, 09:13 PM
At the ripe young age of 71 I think that:

1) you deserve anything you can afford.
2) you are joshing us all....... :-)

Just go and buy one along with a case (not a brick) of ammo and go nuts enjoying yourself.

gbrown
02-09-2012, 09:14 PM
Who needs an excuse to buy another gun? I have a Ciener conversion for a .45 Commander on a Caspian frame and a Ruger 22-45 slab side that are hoots to shoot. I have accumulated .22 at cheap prices over the years. I also possess 5 .22 rifles that I love to shoot. It's cheap, fun and the grandkids love it. If you love to send lead downrange like I do, go for it! I don't know what will happen to my guns when I am gone. They all may be pawned for pennies on the dollar--Until then, I'm gonna have fun.

P.S. I have guns I have not fired in 10 years. Don't have to feed them or pay taxes on them, Just need a bigger safe.

Longwood
02-09-2012, 09:28 PM
Is there a poll for which 22 pistol people like and shoot the most and which ones they have found to be most accurate?
I have owned and competed several out of the box 22 pistols. Auto's, revolvers and single shots.
There is a big difference in cost and accuracy and I would love to see an opinion poll.

ElDorado
02-09-2012, 10:13 PM
I never have a problem trying to convince myself to buy a 22 lr pistol. My problem is trying to talk myself out of buying one.

I say buy that Browning if that's the one you like.

Jeff

Old Iron Sights
02-09-2012, 10:26 PM
Got my son a s&w 22A for christmas. We both love it. Has a rail for a red dot so I don't have to aim through a fuzzy double rear site. Never jams, shoots straight.

GT27
02-09-2012, 11:02 PM
Ruger 22/45 MkII 5 " bull barrel,Volquartzen bells and whistles, so accurate it gets boring to shoot...

theperfessor
02-09-2012, 11:10 PM
I have a Ruger semi auto and a S & W revolver in .22. Both great guns. The Smith will fire off most of the really cheap .22 bulk ammo that sometimes causes the Ruger to choke and its a great understudy to a centerfire K frame. i also like the revolver for shooting .22 shorts and shot loads when needed.

.22s are fun. Get one.

canyon-ghost
02-09-2012, 11:28 PM
When you're unprepared for shooting big bores (no ammo made up), the 22 lr jumps right into a sunny morning with no wind! It isn't going to cost you, it plinks (even on a silhouette range) and your shooting form is the limiting factor.
Since I have enough 22's, I'd get another 44 Special. That's me, not you though.

I only have 4 different 22s, my favorite is a TC Contender with 4-16 Weaver riflescope. That gun flat gets out there to 100 meters. I heartily recommend 40 grain roundnose for distance.

Echo
02-10-2012, 02:48 AM
When I started shooting competitively it was suggested that, if I wanted to buy my own rather than use USAF issue .22's, I should check out what most competitors shoot. That was the S&W 41. I did, and broke 2600 with it. Later I got a 30x Day Conversion from Bob Day, and it will be the last gun I ever sell - I will probably leave it in my will to my son, who also competes.

All that being said - I hate to dis the Browning, but one VERY SELDOM sees one in use in competition. It may be a very good design, and handsome, but no one uses them, which tells us something.

Get a Ruger - or a High Standard - or a Smith. Can't go wrong with them.

My dos centavos...

gandydancer
02-10-2012, 03:08 AM
71 years old. that just means you have made it this far others will not. others have not. what ever you can afford to do. (do it) you are not coming back this way again and don't worry about the last day that will take care of it self. 7 17 71 its all a gift enjoy it.

PS get the 22

boltons75
02-10-2012, 03:14 AM
Buckmark is an awesome gun, great trigger out of the box, ability to easily swap barrels. Check out rimfire central, chim has detailed write ups on how to make an awesome gun better. It's very fun to shoot.

Sent from my rooted, mikg'd, aggressive freedom'd Evo 4g.

Longwood
02-10-2012, 03:39 AM
When I started shooting competitively it was suggested that, if I wanted to buy my own rather than use USAF issue .22's, I should check out what most competitors shoot. That was the S&W 41. I did, and broke 2600 with it. Later I got a 30x Day Conversion from Bob Day, and it will be the last gun I ever sell - I will probably leave it in my will to my son, who also competes.

All that being said - I hate to dis the Browning, but one VERY SELDOM sees one in use in competition. It may be a very good design, and handsome, but no one uses them, which tells us something.

My dos centavos...

Was the airforce issuing the plastic handled, SW model 46 then?
A friend had one and it would shoot almost as well as my 41's.
I owned a 7 1/4" then a 5 1/2" barreled 41's and the sights on the 5 1/2" made a lot of difference for the better.
I have shot at least three Buckmarks, all of the high dollar Rugers, the Hi Standard Victor and X10 and you would have to add a lot of money to trade me two of any of them for my 5 1/2" SW 41.

Longwood
02-10-2012, 03:42 AM

My dos centavos...

I owned a 7 1/4" then a 5 1/2" barreled 41's and the sights on the 5 1/2" made a lot of difference for the better.
I have shot at least three Buckmarks, all of the high dollar Rugers, the Hi Standard Victor and X10 and you would have to add a lot of money to trade me two of any of them for my 5 1/2" SW 41.

PS
I had a Colt Woodsman Match Target for a while. It shot gret,was very pretty, but too small for my hands.

thehouseproduct
02-10-2012, 03:55 AM
I'm waiting for the time to get my 617. I have a semi auto 22lr, next I need a revolver.

runfiverun
02-10-2012, 02:14 PM
oooh a vote for favorite 22 handguns.
either the ruger target model or the dan wesson.
they both shoot the federal eagle stuff without issues and with good accuracy, but it is a bit too slow for hunting small game in the revolvers.
i hate chasing grouse around after shooting them.

shooterg
02-10-2012, 02:39 PM
Hurry up and get it before you turn 72 !
I vote for the Ruger 5" heavy barrel, always easy to move if you don't like it anyway.
Put a red dot on it if the eyes are going, give the squirrels a fit !

exile
02-10-2012, 02:44 PM
Glock 17L? Good for you. I remember being at my local shooting range once discussing the attributes of a Glock 9 with the salesman. An older gentlemen standing next to me that I had never met handed me his Glock 17L and five rounds and said, "See for yourself." Later when I had purchased a Glock in .357 Sig, I repaid the favor for a bunch of guys who would probably never buy a .357 Sig pistol. They were thrilled.

But I digress. Once you have paid your range fee for the day, it seems like some rounds through a good .22 pistol would be a pleasure after you have run out of center-fire ammo.

My opinion is that the grip angle on the original Ruger Mark II most closely approximates the grip angle of the Glock. I have also heard that the Ruger Mark III will not shoot anything but the CCI mini-mags reliably. Don't know if that is true or not.

I have had three Ruger Mark II's at one point or another. Wish I had the other two back again. They were great pistols, as is the one I have now. I can't say I have heard great things about the Buckmark, but if you want one, go for it.

Have you considered a .22 conversion kit for your Glock 17L? The Advantage Arms kits used to be easy to find, but not so much anymore. I hear that they are worth the money.

Good luck.

exile

Uncle Jimbo
02-10-2012, 09:45 PM
I own several guns and I like them all, but my 22lr's are by far the funnest to shoot. I bought my first and only 22lr revolver in 1965 and no exaggerating, I think I have shot over 2 million round through it. Oh by the way, I'm 63 years old. And I don't need an excuse to buy another gun.

snglstack
02-10-2012, 11:52 PM
Let's see here...Colt NF Buntline .22 bought new in 1974; Ruger Mk I Target 6 7/8"; Ruger MkII Government BB; Ruger 22/45; Ruger Super Single Six; H&R Sportsman: High Standard Sentinel; oops, here's another 22/45; sold the Ruger SP-101, gave the S&W Mod 34 to my daughter-in-law; Taurus PT22; a .22 magnum deringer...holy cow, that's just the .22 handguns!! My goto gun these days tho is a Ruger SSM in .32 H&R. With .22 ammo gettin so costly I can shoot it for less and more fun, what with castin and lubin and loadin and weighin and measurin...

Echo
02-11-2012, 01:43 AM

Sure was - and the armorers @ Lackland loved it! Basically the same as the 41, without the nice blue job and the loaded chamber indicator. Sweet gun, and I would buy one in a heartbeat if they were available. All the Lackland guys had to do with it, out of the box, was touch up the trigger a little, and away it went. That's what they gave me, along with an AFPG wad gun, for my master's kit.

I have a HB 41, slide and bbl ported & relieved, with Herret .45 Trainer grips - makes it feel almost exactly like a .45. Sweet gun. Also have a 7.5" bbl 41, but like the HB better. And actually seldom shoot either - my Day 30X beats them all!

Idaho Sharpshooter
02-11-2012, 02:25 AM
Just buy the 22 conversion kit for your Glock...
And stop worrying about passing stuff on. That isn't why I buy things. I buy things because I have the income, and the desire to own them.

Ask me what's going to happen to my African trophies when I die? I do not know, and could care less. But I am going again for two weeks on April 29th.

Rich