PDA

View Full Version : Auto loaders vs Wheel Guns Advantages and Disadvantages

Judan_454
02-09-2012, 11:37 AM
I got me concel carry permit for Wisconsin in December. I thinking about carrying a revolver, I know the disavantages of a revolver are capicity and faster reloading. To me in the area that I live I dont know if im ever going to be in a situation where I going need 15 to 25 rounds of ammo. And if ever had to expend that much ammo hopefully all those rounds hit what I am shooting at. As a concel carry permit holder im going to have to a account for all those rounds that I fired. For me I feel much more comfortable with a wheel gun because I hunt and shoot one much more. I dont how many of you guys have tried to pick 9mm brass off the ground when your done shooting your autoloader. Yes I do know that revolver vs auto loader is personal choice. Manufactures have powerfull calibers in both revolvers and autoloaders. Would be interested in your input on the topic.
Thanks guys
Judan.

sargenv
02-09-2012, 11:42 AM
If you get yourself a 627 S&W you get 8 instead of 6... moon clipped ammo makes for much faster reloads.. I hate picking up brass when practicing.. picking up ammo from a moon clipped gun is so much easier.. if 8 shots of 357 doesn't stop things, well... you either missed or made whoever you were shooting at deaf and blind from the flash :)

Dan Cash
02-09-2012, 12:01 PM
I have carried a hand gun most of my adult life 40+ years and have drawn it once and put a hand on it twice. The presence of the weapon ended the attacks without shots fired. If you don't go places you will have to shoot your way out of, a single shot would probably suffice. Pack what you shoot well and what is concealable for you.

Reload3006
02-09-2012, 12:05 PM
practice and you shouldn't need mega amounts of ammo. Wheel guns are more reliable IMO but I have and carry both depending on the circumstances. If I am out hiking hunting im carrying my S&W 629 not to worried about concealment but looking for knockdown It will do the job. In the City depending on what i am wanting to wear Kahr cw9 or S&W 45acp M&P or a 686 just all depends. I don't really have a big preference but if you cant shoot what you have it won't matter what it is PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE.

Larry Gibson
02-09-2012, 12:28 PM
Whichever you are more comfortable with, especially in a very adrenaline pumped scenario, is the one to use. Both have good and bad points but as you mentioned you won't be laying waste to East LA like Starsky & Hutch. If you are more comfortable and more practiced with the revovler then that would be my advise.

I have ran a lot of handgun training as a LEO firearms instructor and SF Weapons NCO and can say I've seen a lot more revolvers jam that semi's. Most were due to poor maintenance because everyone knows revolvers don't jam so they didn't take care of them. Point is; if you're going to bet your life on a weapon, any weapon, maintain and take care of it.

A small frame 5 or 6 shot revolver of similar make to the ones you mostly use of 38 or 357 caliber will do just fine. They are small enough that you will carry it all the time. Larger guns are often left at home or in the glove box, especially in warmer weather. a speed loader (I prefer the HKS) in a pocket is good for a reload. With a little practice you'd be surprised how fast a relaod is with a speed loader. I never felt under gunned with a small frame revolver for personal defense and still don't.

Larry Gibson

Silver Jack Hammer
02-09-2012, 02:03 PM
Judan 454, You said it yourself, you feel more comfortable with a revolver, get a good holster for the one you trust. I have been a peace officer for 30 years and what I have seen is people carrying a mouse gun pocket sized pistol when they should be carrying a “main frame.” They leave their main frame behind because they don’t have a decent way of carrying the pistol they really trust.

In the pocket sized pistols the revolver is king, the pocket autos are underpowered and statistically their failure rate is very high. Small semi-auto’s are prone to jam when snub nosed revolvers do tend to go bang, even when you have it jammed into the ribs of the other guy who is beating you in a ground fight. But I would recommend moving up from the pocket sized pistol all together. Full sized autos are reliable unlike their pocket sized little sisters. You can easily carry a full sized auto or revolver if you invest a few dollars on proper leather for your main frame pistol.

Get a heavy duty belt that is 1 ½” double stitched heavy leather and buy pants with belt loops large enough to accommodate that belt. Then spend over $100.00 on a holster that will keep your handgun secure. Get outer clothing that covers your carry and you should be good to go. I have carried full sized pistols for years all the time without difficulty, steel .45 revolvers and autos with barrels over 4 inches.

What I see too much of is guys leaving their polymer framed double stacked 40’s behind and sticking a rinky dink pocket pistol with a dorky safety in their pocket. If they would have invested in proper carry leather they could carry a full sized main frame comfortably and been prepared to deal with what unfolds before them. We can’t carry rifles around so we have to use pistols, but that does not mean we should rely on palm pistols and we don’t have to. Good leather is expensive but costs less than a pocket pistol.

Frosty Boolit
02-09-2012, 02:21 PM
I had a revolver jam once. It was 4 screw M&P .38 and the exrtractor rod had he knurled nut on the end unscrew and bind the thing up. The guy at the range was sure it was my "reloads".

subsonic
02-09-2012, 02:26 PM
Carry both. One of each, or maybe 2 of each.

I am more likely to shoot my revolvers because they are more cast/reloader friendly and don't toss my brass. I beleive that the first couple of rounds on target is the major factor, so mostly I carry a revolver.

Char-Gar
02-09-2012, 02:39 PM
I have always prefered sixguns to autoloaders, but when it comes to a serious social hangun I choose an autoloader every time. Protecting myself and my family is just too important to select anything but the finest tool for the job and I can't let my love of sixguns get in the way.

As you know, autoloaders are flatter, carry better, reload quicker and hold more rounds. The new breed is a reliable as any sixgun with good ammo. I can't come up with a rational reason not to carry one. I won't give in to emotional reasons with something this important.

Survival is a matter for the head and not the heart. I detest Glock pistols, but that is what I have for social hanguns.

Matthew 25
02-09-2012, 02:40 PM
A +1 to what Silver Jack said, sounds like he has a little experience as well.

I think the tiny 380s etc are neat, but I have no desire to buy one. I have an SP101 that rides in a leather Bianchi all day, walking, driving or whatever and it's covered by a T shirt. I also have a Para P12 if I think I need 13 rounds of 45, it too carries very well in a leather Bianchi.

For me, it is rare when the tiny light Titanium 38 is the only thing I can conceal, but I have to say it's nice to have one for such occasions.

waksupi
02-09-2012, 05:10 PM
Pick what you like. I personally think a pistol that carries more rounds makes a person a worse shot, because of the spray and pray aspect.
It seems people always assume they would only be in an all out fire fight if they needed the firearm, and want all the rounds they can get. It just doesn't happen like that as a rule. Just look at all of the Armed Citizen accounts in the NRA magazines. One or two shots end the confrontation, assuming you can hit the target. It is over in seconds. Certainly not enough time for 18 well aimed shots. If it's going to last more than a few seconds, you should have been putting distance between you and the aggressor, or have got to a better gun (rifle or shotgun).
5 or 6 shooters are fine for carry. I prefer my Combat Commander for every day use. To each, his own.

Char-Gar
02-09-2012, 06:12 PM
In my part of the world down here on the Border, trouble comes in threes, fours and fives. Six in the wheel might be fine is there is a single bad guy, but when the numbers start to increase, the more rounds you have becomes very important.

Pray and spray can also be done with a sixgun. It takes "fire control" and a cool head to keep you head attatched to your body. If you don't have a cool head, it does not matter what kind of handgun you have.

It is indeed an individual choice, but it should be a reasoned, informed choice based on the reality of personal protection and not some warm feeling about a cold piece of steel.

I live just three miles from the Rio Grande River and have Cartel members living in my little community of 2,000 persons. As long as they don't violate US law, they can't be touched by US authorities. There is lots of "spill over violence" here, but the Mexican Cartels contract with local youth gangs and prison gangs to do the dirty work on this side of the river. Three or four 14 years old all high on coke often get their targets mixed up. When you live within spitting distance of a killing field and you pass some of the killers on your way to buy a bottle of catsup, things start to look different. You will have to look long and hard down here to find a sixgun fan. Class III firearms sell like hot cakes down here to folks with the money who will put up with the legal hastle to own one. I would own one, if I had the money. Not having the money it is a shotgun and a Glock.

I keep a Glock 17 with a 32 round clip in the house and drop out the the long stick mag and put in a 17 rounder when I go out the door pistol in hand. I have the pistol in one hand, when I walk the dog in my own front yard. I have fully loaded 12 ga. is leaning against the wall next to my bed. I practice with the pistols on a weekly basis and am known to have a cool head under extreme conditions.

I am sorry I am such a pissant on this subject, my point of view had changed in the past couple of years. Before that I was a dyed in the wool sixgun man. Some of you are probably asking yourself why I would choose to stay here? The answer is simple...family!

Judan_454
02-09-2012, 06:12 PM
I do agree with you that most gun fights are over in secounds. Its the same with hand to hand combat which I have 35 yrs Shotokan Karate experiance. One well placed punch or kick and most of the time the fiight is over. Because most low lifes do not expect you to fight back with your hands or feet or a gun.

Judan_454
02-09-2012, 06:27 PM
It is indeed an individual choice, but it should be a reasoned, informed choice based on the reality of personal protection and not some warm feeling about a cold piece of steel. I live just three miles from the Rio Grande River and have Cartel members living in my little community of 2,000 persons. As long as they don't violate US law, they can't be touched by US authorities. When you live within spitting distance of a killing field and you pass some of the killers on your way to buy a bottle of catsup, things start to look different.[/QUOTE]

I do agree with your with all your points it does matter were you live in the country on what gun you use. But if you have to go up against 6 Cartel members armed with AK 47's I dont think a M4 with 30 round magazine is going to matter.

JDBrowning
02-09-2012, 06:46 PM
You are only outgunned, If You Miss!

David LaPell
02-09-2012, 06:50 PM
I have been in the law enforcement field for over 7 years and our duty weapon is a Glock 21 and prior to that I did some higher end armed security and I split the difference there with a 1911 Govt model and also a Model 19 Smith & Wesson revolver. My personal carry guns are revolvers, either a Model 27 or a M & P .38 Special. I never feel outgunned anywhere with these two guns. I have always been able to shoot and carry them very well. Most personal defense shootings take place with only two or three rounds and at a fairly close range. I think that the extra ammo capacity is fine and if you feel more comfortable carrying a pistol with it, fine. I used to carry a hi cap 1911 and a Browning Hi Power, but I always felt better carrying one of my sixguns, even if I do get picked on by some of the guys I work with for being old school. On the other hand, most of these guys have seen me shoot and don't seem to have any issues when I can score a perfect 250 qualification with either the departments gun or mine.

stubshaft
02-09-2012, 07:22 PM
I'm outdated and carry a 4" mdl 66.

Mk42gunner
02-09-2012, 09:35 PM
Whichever you are more comfortable with, especially in a very adrenaline pumped scenario, is the one to use. Both have good and bad points but as you mentioned you won't be laying waste to East LA like Starsky & Hutch. If you are more comfortable and more practiced with the revovler then that would be my advise.

I have ran a lot of handgun training as a LEO firearms instructor and SF Weapons NCO and can say I've seen a lot more revolvers jam that semi's. Most were due to poor maintenance because everyone knows revolvers don't jam so they didn't take care of them. Point is; if you're going to bet your life on a weapon, any weapon, maintain and take care of it.

A small frame 5 or 6 shot revolver of similar make to the ones you mostly use of 38 or 357 caliber will do just fine. They are small enough that you will carry it all the time. Larger guns are often left at home or in the glove box, especially in warmer weather. a speed loader (I prefer the HKS) in a pocket is good for a reload. With a little practice you'd be surprised how fast a relaod is with a speed loader. I never felt under gunned with a small frame revolver for personal defense and still don't.

Larry Gibson

I was a rangemaster/ armorer in the Navy. I can't say whether I saw more revolvers jam than semi auto's; but if a semi auto jams, there is a heck of a lot better chance you can clear it and continue firing without tools than with a revolver.

One command I was at had a bunch of worn out S&W Model 10's. Whenever we took Security Dept to the range we took a couple of extra guns; until I ordered new Model 15's from Crane.

I have always prefered sixguns to autoloaders, but when it comes to a serious social hangun I choose an autoloader every time. Protecting myself and my family is just too important to select anything but the finest tool for the job and I can't let my love of sixguns get in the way.

As you know, autoloaders are flatter, carry better, reload quicker and hold more rounds. The new breed is a reliable as any sixgun with good ammo. I can't come up with a rational reason not to carry one. I won't give in to emotional reasons with something this important.

Survival is a matter for the head and not the heart. I detest Glock pistols, but that is what I have for social hanguns.

I prefer revolvers too, but for social work a service sized semi gets my vote.

Pick what you like. I personally think a pistol that carries more rounds makes a person a worse shot, because of the spray and pray aspect.
It seems people always assume they would only be in an all out fire fight if they needed the firearm, and want all the rounds they can get. It just doesn't happen like that as a rule. Just look at all of the Armed Citizen accounts in the NRA magazines. One or two shots end the confrontation, assuming you can hit the target. It is over in seconds. Certainly not enough time for 18 well aimed shots. If it's going to last more than a few seconds, you should have been putting distance between you and the aggressor, or have got to a better gun (rifle or shotgun).
5 or 6 shooters are fine for carry. I prefer my Combat Commander for every day use. To each, his own.

You used to see this all the time when hunting, too. The kid that started out with a single shot .22 always got more squirrels than the one that started out with a repeater.

-----

No military that I am aware of issues revolvers as a standard sidearm now, auto loaders are so much easier for the rank and file to properly maintain.

As long as you get a quality double actionrevolver and maintain it, you shouldn't have any problems. I still grab the GP-100 about half the time when I go out to see what the dogs are baarking at.

Bottom line is to get and carry what you are comfortable with.

Robert

rintinglen
02-10-2012, 01:48 AM
When I carry A gun, it's round. When I carry two, my primary is a bottom feeder and the back up is round. My experience is totally opposite of Larry's. In security classes and LE requals involving hundreds of shooters, I can count on my fingers the number of revolvers that failed to function. I have seen scores of autos fail. However, the point has been made, and I believe accurately, that when a revolver fails, it is usually broke and will require the services of an armorer to resume service. A pistol that chokes can usually be returned to service with a "tap-rack-bang" drill.

The most salient point that has been made is that your gun should fit your experience and skill level. The one you shoot most will usually be best. And the first rule of gunfighting is to have a gun. Better a little gun that is always there, than a big one that is a nuisance and gets left behind...

oldgeezershooter
02-10-2012, 02:04 AM
I just got a Charter Arms Pit-Bull in .40 S&W, it's fairly compact and compliments my XD40 perfectly, what sold me on it was no moon clips.
I just holds five rounds, but I practice a lot, both off-hand and point and shoot.

StrawHat
02-10-2012, 07:24 AM
As many have stated, pick what YOU are comfortable using. For me, it is a revolver, this one in particular.

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc194/StrawHat/IMGP1415-1.jpg

I recently used a 1911 for 6 months and just sold it because it did not generate the confidence I feel when using a revolver. If I were closer to the Mexican border instead of the Canadian one, maybe I would feel differently. What you are most familiar with is what you will be most comfortable using. I can easily switch among the revovlers I own because they are all S&Ws and the controls are where I am used to finding them. And they come in a variety of sizes (J, K, L, N) and a vast array of cartridges. For me, a perfect solution. You will be most confident using that with which you are most comfortable.

Bret4207
02-10-2012, 08:13 AM
If I lived in a dangerous area like Chargar I'd probably carry 2 40's or 45's and a J frame 38 too. Where I am I carry occasionally and when I do it's a 38 Body guard or Charter BD. Do what feels right to you.

The larger question to me is why is our gov't at the state and Fed level not making war on the cartels and gangs that are making Chargars area turn into a war zone?

exile
02-10-2012, 09:01 AM
If others with more experience than me had not already said it I would hold my tongue, but since they did I will.

I have not owned or shot nearly the number of handguns others have on this forum and probably never will. I am just a guy who likes to go shoot cans at the farm.

Having said that, I will say that every revolver I have owned has given me some kind of problem, but the auto-loaders have not. I feel that the best point that has been made is that if a revolver malfunctions you are in trouble, if an auto-loader malfunctions it can be dealt with.

Still, it does you no good to shoot something you are not comfortable with. So, do what seems best to you.

exile

Ed in North Texas
02-10-2012, 09:45 AM
There are a number of factors which should be considered in making the decision of what to carry. Most have been well addressed already. I think one that has been mentioned by Bret is the climate where you live. If you live in one of the cooler areas of the country, concealing anything is relatively easy. In areas like the Southern states, the summers make it somewhat more difficult.

Early in my career I had an issue S&W 66, 3" bbl. Not difficult to conceal for me because:
1. I bought my own leather and only bought quality; and,
2. I had to wear suits for work; and,
3. I was 25 pounds lighter than today.

Today I'm retired and would look really odd in a semi-rural area wearing a suit any time of the year (other than at a funeral), but particularly in our TX summer. When still working, I've seen guys get on the elevator in the Dallas Federal Building, who put on a few extra pounds, carrying a revolver under a suit jacket. I didn't know them, but the revolver was really obvious. Keep your clothing appropriately sized for concealment and the weather.

And when selecting a weapon, consider factors such as whether you sweat a lot. If so, leave the nicely blued steel weapon at home and carry stainless or plastic.

No matter what you decide you need to carry, follow the advice of all the others and practice until it is second nature for you to use the weapon. Do not forget that you need to practice more than just shooting the weapon. The draw is an equal part of the use. It doesn't do a lot of good to only go to a range which doesn't allow you to draw and fire. If that is all you have available, make sure to take your UNLOADED (check it 3 times) weapon and practice drawing in front of a full length mirror, with you as the opponent. Not as good as actually shooting from the holster, but better than not practicing the draw at all. And finally, remember that you will be carrying with different clothing at different times of the year. Don't only practice with an open light jacket on when you will be wearing a Parka in January.

Just my $0.02, which isn't worth much these days.

Ed

Four Fingers of Death
02-10-2012, 10:16 AM
Autos are flatter and usually more comfortable to carry concealed, but theres really not much in it.

As to the reliability issue, I have never fired a shot in anger, but practiced plenty at work (all Model 10 Smith and Wesson 38) and also with my guns at the range over the past 30+ years. I have owned about 30-35 handguns in that time and the ratio autos-revolvers is about 40-60. Over those 40 years I have fired many thousands of rounds and generally attend the range 2-3 times a week.

I'm no Micakluk or Robbie or Evil Roy, but have put in plenty trigger time and the only gun that I have had fail was a revolver. My 586 S&W broke the tip of the firing pin off and was kaput in the middle of a big law enforcement match. It also locked up cold once using Remington lead factory ammo. All attempts by me and the gunsmith at the range shop failed to free it up and it took about six healthy whacks with a large rubber mallet to free it.

Sooooooooooooo, if you ask me, autos are more reliable based on my experience :) . None of my autos have ever missed a beat and jams are rare when ammo is well sorted and suits the gun.

Col. Askins (I am sure it was him) got into a bit of serious trouble with a Mexican bandito when working for the Border Patrol many years ago and he pulled his S&W revolver during the life and death wrestling match. The bandito knew guns and grabbed onto the cylinder and hung on for grim death (which is exactly where he was headed if old Officer Atkins had his way). He couldn't dislodge the Mexican guy and the arrest was finally made with help from another officer from memory. Col. Askins went out and bought a 45ACP Colt1911 pistol as soon as the shops opened when he got back to base, lol.

If you do get an auto and are going to reload, buy your brass in bulk, carry to the range in neat little trays if you so desire but collect the empties loose when you have finished. Don't stick them back into the neat trays because you will be searching everywhere for the last one or two. I pick up what I can see and leave it at that. I refuse to have my day spoilt grovelling around for 75cents worth of brass, lol.

Ease of brass retrievable is one of the advantages of revolvers, but I have seen Police officers using their carry gun at the range and carefully dropping the brass into their bucket. They lose a second or two in the timed shoots, but have a bad habit that may get them killed one day. Brass is cheap lives aren't. Dump it fast, let it fall, worry about it later.

Good luck with your choice. Any quality gun with a decent holster and cartridge will do, go with what feels good for you.

Judan_454
02-10-2012, 11:34 AM
I guess the only fair way to compare a auto verus a revolver in terms of reliability is new out out box with the same amount of rounds shot out of both. It would like comparing a new car with a car that had a 100,000 miles on it to gun that 100,000 rounds shot though it, the more likely you are to have trouble with it.

Four Fingers of Death
02-10-2012, 12:11 PM
Either platform with quality ammo or reloads will probably be as reliable as you need if you stay away from junk guns.

If I was carrying and it looked like I might have to use the gun in actual combat, I think I would buy a practice gun to match the carry gun and set them up the same. The carry gun would just see enough ammo to break it in and ensure that it was ok, the donkey work would be done by the spare.

smkummer
02-10-2012, 12:24 PM
The flat profile of a autoloader is sometimes easier to hide especially with summer clothing. My Smith escort in 22LR simply gets carried almost all the time because it so easy to leave it without a holster in my winter leather jacket inside pocket. The j-frame 5 shot Smith is smaller than the d-frame 6 shot Colt. I have a finished worn alloy Colt agent stuffed with Plus P hollow points for when I intend to carry.

Silver Jack Hammer
02-10-2012, 12:56 PM
Reference the grabbing the cylinder concept; years ago a buddy of mine was disarmed in a multiple hostage situation by an offender who had decided he was not going to survive the incident. My buddy grabbed for the cylinder his K frame in the hostage taker’s hand and tried to prevent the revolver from firing. This officer was very good in a scrap but he said he could not stop the cylinder from rotating against the pulls of the trigger. He took most of the rounds in the cylinder and tackled the offender. There were no fatalities.

Not so long ago in this state we had three LEOs killed with their own gun, one right after the other. The offenders got control of the officer’s striker pin guns that fire like a revolver with no manual safety, just pull the trigger. One would reason a 1911 or a 4506 with a manual safety might have saved their lives. Then two buddies of mine were taking down an armed robber, one had a 1911. He unintentionally discharged his 1911 and killed the other officer. One might reason a heavy trigger pulled 4506 or DA revolver might have prevented that tragic death.

Personally I love the revolver, and really like the one in StrawHat's post. I have carried them for years but carry a semi auto because it’s flatter, has a manual safety and a better trigger pull than a revolver. Round count means very little to me, but no matter how many rounds you have in your gun, always carry a reload.

Char-Gar
02-10-2012, 02:38 PM
If I lived in a dangerous area like Chargar I'd probably carry 2 40's or 45's and a J frame 38 too. Where I am I carry occasionally and when I do it's a 38 Body guard or Charter BD. Do what feels right to you.

The larger question to me is why is our gov't at the state and Fed level not making war on the cartels and gangs that are making Chargars area turn into a war zone?

Her are the answers to your question as best I know them. These are not excuses, just explanations.

1. The State of Texas has put all the resources down here it has. A task force of Texas Rangers, dozens of State Troopers, boats on the river and helicopters in the air.

2. Local police are incompetent, corrupt and their leaders are mostly in Obama's pocket who denies there is a problem down here as a matter of policy. The official Federal word is the Border is more secure than it have ever been and all information to the contrary is disregarded in favor of politics.

3. The Border Patrol and ICE have very limited jurisdiction. Their concerns are catching wetbacks and drugs. This id very difficulty due to the course of the river. A 100 mile line on the map turns into 400 or 500 miles of twists and turn in the river. The fence has been a million dollar per mile absolute failure.

The long and short of it is the Federal government does not have the will do deal with the problem, so they deny it exists. The State government has the will but lacks the massive resources. Local law enforcement lacks both the will, resources or competency to do the job.

So, I carry a Glock to walk the dog, and watch my 6 at all times. That is life on the Border these days.

oldfart1956
02-10-2012, 02:39 PM
Hmmmm...tough choice. I carry both but not at the same time. Revolvers are tougher to hide. Snatch up an apple...stick it in your waistband. Sucks don't it? Sucks more by the end of the day. Try sitting in yer car with that apple gouging into your waist/hip/back. And I won't tuck it in the front. But it's small, lightweight and reliable. And besides...sometimes...you don't want to leave empty cases laying around. I'm just saying is all. Like the auto-loaders to. Flat, easier to conceal if it's small enough. I like the Kahr...but don't reccomend it to anyone. (bad design flaw) Shoot'em a lot to break in and build confidence, as well as finding an accurate load. Also have a 1911. Great pistol. Couldn't imagine dragging that thing around all day on a belt. My pants would be down to my knees. Would work great in a Miami Classic rig if I could dress like that. Just my ramblin' thoughts. Audie....the Oldfart..

Char-Gar
02-10-2012, 02:45 PM
It is indeed an individual choice, but it should be a reasoned, informed choice based on the reality of personal protection and not some warm feeling about a cold piece of steel. I live just three miles from the Rio Grande River and have Cartel members living in my little community of 2,000 persons. As long as they don't violate US law, they can't be touched by US authorities. When you live within spitting distance of a killing field and you pass some of the killers on your way to buy a bottle of catsup, things start to look different.

I do agree with your with all your points it does matter were you live in the country on what gun you use. But if you have to go up against 6 Cartel members armed with AK 47's I dont think a M4 with 30 round magazine is going to matter.[/QUOTE]

You are straight on correct. In a head to head fight with a half dozen Cartel soldiers, I will be dead. But that will be after the fight. I have seen videos they have taken showing what they do with their prisoners. I would rather be in the hands of the Apache or Comanche, which is not a good place to be. So in any fight I cannot win, I will be dead, one way or another.

waksupi
02-10-2012, 04:34 PM
Considering you are in that area, I bet you are dealing with a lot of Apaches. There is a lot more Indian than Spanish blood in most of the citizens there.

9.3X62AL
02-10-2012, 09:13 PM

I haven't been part of a wheelgun vs. auto discussion since the time of 8-track tape decks and lines at gas stations.

What Charles said. The Glocks are about as aesthetically pleasing as dog droppings on a putting green, but the ugly things WORK. They are simple to "learn", easily maintained, and much tougher than their polymer construction would initially indicate. Use Glock mags, use good ammo, and they are first-rate.

The double-action revolver had the rep of being "utterly reliable" for a lot of years among the LEO ranks. I have seen these revolvers fail during firing, most often after extended strings of fire when a powder flake gets under the extractor star. Is this a valid concern for a citizen CCW? Your call, but most armed encounters end without shots being fired, or with less than a "weapon's capacity" being discharged. Except, of course, when they don't.

The Glock 23 (40 S&W, 14 rounds in line) is my most frequent social accessory. If I or anyone else gets in a firefight where 14 rounds don't resolve the issue, THEY OR I ARE IN A WORLD OF HURT. I strive mightily to avoid any situation that his any hint of threat or menace--parking garages after dark, bars after 9 P.M., et cetera. I had a young dork try to carjack me in a fast-food drive-thru line once (surprise, surprise.....), so I now circle such parking lots/perimeters before getting in line after dark. The same apparel that conceals the pistol serves to conceal my 2 spare magazines. Is 40 rounds on tap a bit much? Is 15/18 rounds in a wheelgun + 2 HKS loaders overkill? Better to have and not need than the other way around.

Four Fingers of Death
02-10-2012, 10:14 PM
"Is 15/18 rounds in a wheelgun + 2 HKS loaders overkill? Better to have and not need than the other way around."

That was my maxim with my work, 'I'd rather have the gear and not need it, than need the gear and not have it!'

Got to try the cylinder hold/try to fire thingo soon (on an empty cylinder or one full of snap caps, lol).

atr
02-10-2012, 10:52 PM
I am more accurate with a wheel gun than I am with an autoloader....so for me the choice is what I am more accurate with.
Here in WA state we have an open carry law...if you want to open carry you can, no permit required. If you conceal then you need a permit. I've tried it both ways and with the open carry you draw alot of attention, so Ive switched back to carrying concealed more often.

Judan_454
02-11-2012, 03:09 PM
We have open carry here in Wisconsin too but you are limted to where you can carry it unless you have CCW. I guess carrying a gun in the open makes people a little nervous so carrying conceled is better just because of that. Yes I too can shoot a wheel gun much better than an auto.I too think that accuracy is much more important than the number of rounds you have.

wtfooptimax200
02-11-2012, 09:50 PM
This is one of my favorite questions to ponder. I go back and forth on it all the time. I think that revolvers, despite their greater thickness, are more concealable in most situations due to their curvy lines (when they print through clothes they don't look as 'gun-like' to an uneducated eye in my opinion). On the other hand, I'd hate to run out of ammo in a self defense situation. If there are 3 bad guys, the 5 rounds in a J frame could run out very quickly. I still can't decide...maybe I'll carry one of each? :bigsmyl2:

9.3X62AL
02-11-2012, 10:28 PM
If I'm out seeing the back-country, the sideiron is the S&W 686 x 4" with 158 JHPs taking up cylinder space and speed-loader slots. There is also a rifle and/or shotgun behind the truck seat, mostly because every drive I take through the back-country is also a varmint or game/bird hunt. The legal/evil 30 round mag in the Mini-14 takes nothing from its utility as a coyote- or jackrabbit-strafer, and I had occasion in 2007 to be greatly comforted by its presence and heft near Silverwood Lake. Stinkin' meth freaks.

Matthew 25
02-12-2012, 12:57 AM
You know 9.3, I wouldn't understand what you're saying about a 30 round mag until I got an AR. There's just something about a 30 round magazine. The AR or a scoped 308 is always behind the front seat of the 4-door.

Four Fingers of Death
02-13-2012, 09:00 AM
Our Gubbermint don't trust us with big mags! 10s the limit in anything. Some greenie / gun grabbers were trying to convince the politicians that they should ban 10 shot mags as well because you could put one up the spout, load a full mag and end up with 11. Not allowed to cuss on this site, so I'll end now, :)

garym1a2
02-13-2012, 09:14 AM
Gen 3 Glock 19/23 are hard to beat unless you can carry the Glock22. They are super reliable and not that hard to learn to shoot well, plus they are grab and go.
Plus 15 rounds are great to have even if you don't need them all.

35remington
02-14-2012, 12:38 AM
Two comments:

A 1-7/8 or two inch .38 or 357 small frame is the most problematic thing you ever have seen to get the empties out of due to its very short ejector rod stroke, drastically increasing reloading time, and,

The very small automatics are often reliability challenged, as are the cut down, normally service sized but "shrunk in the wash" autoloaders that have had the slide shortened.

Less breechface overtravel past the magazine well means less time for the round in the magazine to rise into the feeding position before the breechface returns forward.

Not good. Look with a very jaded eye upon reduced overtravel autoloaders. Rack the slide and take a look before buying. A weakened magazine spring in some of the overstuffed magazine designs does not help.

Too many cartridges in too short of a magazine is also not good. Never trade an extra shot for decreased reliability.

StrawHat
02-14-2012, 08:32 AM
...A 1-7/8 or two inch .38 or 357 small frame is the most problematic thing you ever have seen to get the empties out of due to its very short ejector rod stroke, drastically increasing reloading time,...

If they stick, you are doing something wrong.

Keep the muzzle skyward as you work the ejector, let gravity help you. If the casings still stick, polish the chambers.

Ed in North Texas
02-14-2012, 10:36 AM
Two comments:

A 1-7/8 or two inch .38 or 357 small frame is the most problematic thing you ever have seen to get the empties out of due to its very short ejector rod stroke, drastically increasing reloading time, and,

snip

Too many cartridges in too short of a magazine is also not good. Never trade an extra shot for decreased reliability.

The ejection reliability issue is precisely why the "Treasury Round" was developed (for all practical purposes a .38 Special +P+, though the issue rounds used to have no caliber markings at all). Of course the revolver issued to Agents was a 3" barrel too.

I've not experienced feeding problems with my Glock 30. My old Star PD doesn't like Remington Match 185 grain ammo, but everything else I've fed it has worked well.

Ed