PDA

View Full Version : win 94 tang screw hole

adrians
02-09-2012, 12:33 AM
hi i was thinking of putting a tang sight on my 94 (mfg in 1954) but there is only one tang screw on these , not much good for a sight ,with two mounting holes.
did winchester expect you to drill and tap the other hole yourself or is there a tang sight out there with only one mount hole ?.
i suspect not ,,,, just curious... .
the lyman aperture side mount on it now works wonders for my aging eyes anyhoo....:twisted::rolleyes::evil:

FromTheWoods
02-09-2012, 12:43 AM
Your rifle should have two screws to mount that tang sight--one screw at the rear of the tang that passes through to the threads in the lower tang; another smaller screw just behind the hammer that goes nowhere.

You will need longer screws to mount the sight. They usually come with the tang sight.

brnomauser
02-09-2012, 06:55 AM
did winchester expect you to drill and tap the other hole yourself or is there a tang sight out there with only one mount hole ?.

Yep - you or a 'smith

adrians
02-09-2012, 07:12 AM
Yep - you or a 'smith

thats what i thought .
i guess it gives you the option of choosing a sight that isn't restricted to a certain center to center hole lenght [smilie=1:[smilie=1:....
when the gun was past down to me that was the first thing i noticed, and the question arose in my head was ,,,, " where the h%#$ is the other hole "
and the thought it must have been made on a monday or a friday (old auto joke!!).
:evil::drinks::twisted:

adrians
02-09-2012, 07:34 AM
Your rifle should have two screws to mount that tang sight--one screw at the rear of the tang that passes through to the threads in the lower tang; another smaller screw just behind the hammer that goes nowhere.

You will need longer screws to mount the sight. They usually come with the tang sight.

FromTheWoods, look no hole, crazy ain't it ?

:evil::confused::twisted:

stubshaft
02-09-2012, 07:08 PM
LOL - There was a time when they didn't have the holes on the side of the reciever too.

FromTheWoods
02-09-2012, 11:19 PM
Crazy! Throw it Back!

I have never seen one of those.
Checked my Renneberg Book and there is a photo of one just like yours.

What were they thinking?

Sorry for the worthless advice.

adrians
02-10-2012, 12:16 AM
What were they thinking?

i'm not sure FTW, but somebody with alot more knowledge than me must know why they didn't d/t a second hole,, like i said crazy!!!!!!!

Jon K
02-10-2012, 11:59 PM
Check and see if the c-c of the 2 holes is 2.185".....then no need to d&t. Winchester used 2.185" & 2.250".

The rifles that didn't have holes were post 1947, unless special order, as with other available options.

Jon

olafhardt
02-11-2012, 02:50 AM
One screw and a carefuiiy applied dob of epoxy might do the trick.

adrians
02-11-2012, 10:25 AM
One screw and a carefuiiy applied dob of epoxy might do the trick.

now thats what i was thinking, just hope the "elmers" holds under normal recoil.
wouldn't hurt non to try would it.?
the rifle was my wife's fathers( R,I,P) and she is very attatched to it ,,,,even though she doesn't shoot long guns and she has already threatened me with certain death if try any attempt at "bubberizing" her daddy's rifle ,WHICH I WOULDN'T DO ANYWAY.
would adding a hole in the tang be bubberizing ?,,,, well it's [smilie=l:borderline

45-70bpcr
02-11-2012, 10:41 AM
I don't have my '94 here to look but I thought my marbles sight came with a longer stock bolt screw to be used along with the one factory drilled sight screw hole?

02-11-2012, 11:59 AM
now thats what i was thinking, just hope the "elmers" holds under normal recoil.
wouldn't hurt non to try would it.?
the rifle was my wife's fathers( R,I,P) and she is very attatched to it ,,,,even though she doesn't shoot long guns and she has already threatened me with certain death if try any attempt at "bubberizing" her daddy's rifle ,WHICH I WOULDN'T DO ANYWAY.
would adding a hole in the tang be bubberizing ?,,,, well it's [smilie=l:borderline

JonK is exactly right. Post war 94s came with the receiver sight DTs in the receiver but no DT front tang mounting hole. Since the market/demand was moving away from tang mounted sights in favor of receiver sights- they just opted not to put the extra hole in the tang. I'm not sure about all the post 64-to date variations.

You're very right in not wanting to "bubba" that rifle. While not antique, the post war/ pre-64 94s do carry a value premium if in original condition. So drilling another hole will hurt value!

You can get a M94 type tang sight along with the longer mounting screw and epoxy the base to the tang. Clean both surfaces with acetone or alcohol. JB Weld would be my choice. It can be reversed with judicious application of heat. JB Weld has a fairly high break-down temp compared to other common epoxies. The only damage might be a small loss of bluing on the tang.... but no extra holes!

Also, those receiver mounted sights like the one shown in the picture work so well... I don't exactly understand the "need" to add a tang sight. After all it's not a 1000 yard gun :)