PDA

View Full Version : BTSniper 40 cal factory tune up offer!

BT Sniper
02-08-2012, 08:39 PM
For those of you with one of my improved CH 40 cal one step dies, and even those of you with the Ch die that may have got it dirrect from factory or second hand, I am offering an even better improvement offer. Call it a tune up for your original die. It incorperates all the advancements in design and materials I have learned and incorperated in the last 3 1/2 years of putting these together.

The new design makes a shorter nosed bullet with larger meplat, overall length of the bullet is also a bit shorter. This new design makes bullets right at .700 in length, when using standard 9mm brass for jackets and 120 grain core, which I feel is the max length for a bullet in the 40 S&W. I feel the shorter bullet/nose is better suited for use in the 40 S&W. It also allows propper seating of the bullet in the case vs. the original design that I feel has to long of nose.

For all my previous customers I offer you at a price of $50 + $10S&H the following improvments. For those of you that wish to upgrade your 40 cal swage die and purchased it from CH or else where the cost is $100 + s&h,

-bore nose cavity of die to .281
-supply one new .281 HP pin, additional point shapes can be had at extra charge
-supply new knurled top stop bolt and better looking/smaller lock nut
-reset your top stop bolts for new .281 pin
-clean overall die to look like new again
-provide "BTSniper" logo for your die box
-for those of you with lock nut base punch I will replace it with standard CH solid style base punch as I found it to work just as well or better then my orginal design, I think it was only the first 10 customers or so that got these lock nut base punches.

This is my standard base punch supplied with all current orders
http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/P1060963-1.jpg

This is what your new die set will look like.
http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/P1060963.jpg

here is a look at the improved 40 cal bullet on right and similar commercial offering on left.
http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/P1060948.jpg

Ship entire die set including box and base punch along with $50 + $10 s&h, I keep the original BTSniper .250 internial pin/pins that no longer work with the die. You get back the original top stop bolt and nut as well as the new knurled one. For those of you with facotry die internial parts you get them all back.

Great thing about this new improved die is that you can reswage bullets you have allready made to take on this new shorter nose shape!

This would also be a great oportunity to save a bit on shipping and pick up one of my XTP notch dies if you haven't got one allready.

I hope many of you will be able to take advantage of this offer. It brings your die up to the same level of perfection and quality as I am offering with the current design and impoved materials.

Good shooting and Swage On!

Brian Thurner
PO BOX 1783
Hood River, OR.

DukeInFlorida
02-09-2012, 07:24 AM
I just had this done, and I will say that the transformation is PERFECT!
I even see some machining refinements in Brian's abilities. He supplied some samples run with raw materials I provided when I sent the set back to him, and they are spot on!

If you have one of the early 40 one step sets, and want those shorter bullets, you need this done. If you have a CH4D set direct from the factory, you most certainly want this done!

warf73
02-09-2012, 09:50 AM
Brian that is a great offer, I'll gather up my stuff and get it ready for shipping.

Thanks Warf

a.squibload
02-10-2012, 03:37 AM
Dangit!
I just trimmed a bunch of 9mm cases, suppose they can be used
in the new setup, or should I swage 'em before sending in the dies?

Just to clarify, I think Duke said in another thread that the new setup
doesn't need to have the cases trimmed?
Got some reading to do.

I need to cast more cores, getting close to reclaiming my casting area.
Can't re-swage any of the previous boolits, they're all loaded up
or shot up!

Are you thinking of doing something similar for the 44 dies?
They probably don't need it.

BT Sniper
02-10-2012, 05:12 AM
With the new die I use 120 grain cores and annealed 9mm brass "as is". This makes, in my opinion, a perfect 183-185 grain 40 cal bullet that is no more then .700 in length. It also has a shorter nose so it can be loaded properly in the 40 S&W. I feel these improvments makes the best possible bullet from the original CH dies. I feel I have reached perfection with this set up.

I will tune up your old die and relpace old parts to make it exactly the same as the die I offer today.

Original version bullets allready formed can be simply reswaged in new die and VOLIA! a new perfect bullet!

Nothing wrong with trimed cases, just a little extra work. I do believe it to be unnessary with the bullets I am making now though.

Please feel free to inquire all you like. This is a long standing offer to anyone wanting to improve upon your allready improved Ch die!

Good Shooting and Swage On!

BT

BT Sniper
02-10-2012, 05:16 AM
The 44 cal dies? Well they allready have a .312 nose and I was using my improved HP pins from the very start with the 44 cal dies. No grade 8 bolts with any 44 cal die that I can recal.

If any one happens to have an unaltered, original 44 cal die and wishes to have the BTSniper heavy duty upgrade... Sure, I'll do it!

Cost to improve any stock 44 cal swage die is $100 + $10 S&H.

Should a previous customer with a 44 cal one step feel there is need for improvment I will be happy to consider all options.

Ch is a long time out on any additional 44 cal dies. I have in the works right now a 44 cal one step with a smaller .250 meplat design. Should be pretty good.

BT

DukeInFlorida
02-10-2012, 11:51 AM
To Trim or Not To Trim, that... is the question.....

Here's the answer:

It depends on what weight bullet you want to end up with.
The new design nose has nothing to do with resultant weight. Only with the shape and length of the bullet.

So, if you want a 185/187 grain bullet, with the new nose or the old nose shape (doesn't matter which), you use a 124 grain cast core in an un-trimmed 9mm case.

However, I love the 165 grain .40 bullets. To make those requires the use of a 105 grain cast core, and a 9mm brass case trimmed to the same length as a 380 auto case (or, if you have access to them, actual 380 auto cases). I don't bump into as many 380's as I would need to support the need, so I have developed a trimming system to take a few thousandths off the 9mm's and they come out perfect at 165 grains.

I've been depending on traded cast cores for the 165's (the cores are 380 auto 105 grain boolits) in the past. However, I am soon expecting to receive the 380 auto mold from a recent Mihec group buy:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=117608

That will keep me in 105 grain cores!

Just to clarify, I think Duke said in another thread that the new setup
doesn't need to have the cases trimmed?
Got some reading to do.

DukeInFlorida
02-10-2012, 11:53 AM
Brian,
I'm not sure where my 44 mag set was, in terms of the meplat design. But, I love the results I get currently. My swaged 44 mag bullets are exact copies of the Hornady notched HP's. Same weight, same shape, same length, etc. Love em!

The 44 cal dies? Well they allready have a .312 nose and I was using my improved HP pins from the very start with the 44 cal dies. No grade 8 bolts with any 44 cal die that I can recal.

If any one happens to have an unaltered, original 44 cal die and wishes to have the BTSniper heavy duty upgrade... Sure, I'll do it!

Cost to improve any stock 44 cal swage die is $100 + $10 S&H.

Should a previous customer with a 44 cal one step feel there is need for improvment I will be happy to consider all options.

Ch is a long time out on any additional 44 cal dies. I have in the works right now a 44 cal one step with a smaller .250 meplat design. Should be pretty good.

BT

BT Sniper
02-10-2012, 01:38 PM
[QUOTE=DukeInMaine;1583843]To Trim or Not To Trim, that... is the question.....

Here's the answer:

It depends on what weight bullet you want to end up with.
The new design nose has nothing to do with resultant weight. Only with the shape and length of the bullet.

So, if you want a 185/187 grain bullet, with the new nose or the old nose shape (doesn't matter which), you use a 124 grain cast core in an un-trimmed 9mm case. QUOTE]

I do not recommend the 124 grain core any longer for bullets intended to be shot in the 40 S&W. Sure it works very well and still makes perfect bullets but I feel the 120 grain core is better suited for a bullet made to be shot in the 40 S&W and is what I set up all current dies for.

You might not think 4 grains would make a difference...... well I still recommend the 120 grain core for a max weight bullet of 180-185 grains to be used in the 40 S&W when using standard untrimed 9mm brass for the jacket. My bullets are all under .700 in length now and that's just the way I like it :)

Good shooting and swage on!

BT

a.squibload
02-11-2012, 01:56 AM
I didn't pin it down very well.

Sounds like the heavy 40 boolits will be fine with untrimmed 9mm brass,
and the light 40s (380-length 9mm brass with 105gn cores) will still be fine too.

I've always liked heavy boolits (44 influence), but kinda like the light 40 BTJHPs.
Was a little worried about seating depth with the heavy ones, but the shorter
nose should leave a little more room. (Does that make sense?)
The heavies have shot fine for me, no problems.

I'll let you know when I scrape together a few bucks!

DukeInFlorida
02-11-2012, 07:19 AM
Yes, makes perfect sense. The heavy bullets are shorter with the wider meplat. In a 10mm assembly, no issues. However, in a .40 S&W, you want a short bullet.

a.squibload
02-11-2012, 07:24 PM
I still have over 100 untrimmed 9s that are annealed,
refuse to throw 'em in the scrap box!
Brian, you'll hear from me shortly.

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-12-2012, 11:07 AM
BT,
I am considering this...sounds like a great fix to the long bullet issue.
BUT, to be honest, I was hoping to solve this issue by buying a S&W 610 :) lol
Jon

a.squibload
02-14-2012, 04:02 AM
That should work, buy me one too!

BT Sniper
03-07-2012, 04:49 PM
The two customer dies I have are finished and going out in today's mail. You should have them by Saturday. Results turned out perfect. You guys have a better then new set of dies again.

Thanks for your support,

BT

sargenv
03-09-2012, 12:12 PM
I personally shoot the 40's I load in a 1911 pattern gun so i can load the older very long swaged bullets to 1.240" so I need not worry about SAAMI OAL. I'm on the fence right now whether I want my old dies changed to the new fangled design since I have a new set on the way already. I kind of like the ability to choose a very deep HP, a flat point, or something in between. As is it now, I don't need to trim the 9mm brass if I want a lighter bullet as the deep HP will adequately swage the lighter core and even though it's a long bullet when it's done, I already load them long, so it's a moot point for me. I think I am going to stick with my old 3-option die and use the new one for the shorter bullet if I desire that profile.

a.squibload
03-10-2012, 02:14 AM
Thanks Brian, I'll hit the PO tomorrow.

Been thinking about making a flat-point pin as an alternate to the HP.
Mainly just for a different style, but could make the boolit even shorter.
What is that nylon looking washer for, alignment? If a bolt can be used that
doesn't need lathe turning, I might could do it with my limited equipment.
Otherwise would it be possible to order a flat point pin from BT Industries?

I know, should have asked before!

Methuselah3
03-10-2012, 01:27 PM
For clarification, I'm thinking your universal XTP punch die is a separate die from this offer and it would save on shipping to buy it with the offer.. I'm thinking that the improvement to C&H will make a smooth ogive HP bullet only and the XTP die would be separate purchase . Is that correct? How do you compensate for cast or swaged cores where they vary several grains and also the hulls vary several grains without a squish die?

For those of you with one of my improved CH 40 cal one step dies, and even those of you with the Ch die that may have got it dirrect from factory or second hand, I am offering an even better improvement offer. Call it a tune up for your original die. It incorperates all the advancements in design and materials I have learned and incorperated in the last 3 1/2 years of putting these together.

The new design makes a shorter nosed bullet with larger meplat, overall length of the bullet is also a bit shorter. This new design makes bullets right at .700 in length, when using standard 9mm brass for jackets and 120 grain core, which I feel is the max length for a bullet in the 40 S&W. I feel the shorter bullet/nose is better suited for use in the 40 S&W. It also allows propper seating of the bullet in the case vs. the original design that I feel has to long of nose.

For all my previous customers I offer you at a price of $50 + $10S&H the following improvments. For those of you that wish to upgrade your 40 cal swage die and purchased it from CH or else where the cost is $100 + s&h,

-bore nose cavity of die to .281
-supply one new .281 HP pin, additional point shapes can be had at extra charge
-supply new knurled top stop bolt and better looking/smaller lock nut
-reset your top stop bolts for new .281 pin
-clean overall die to look like new again
-provide "BTSniper" logo for your die box
-for those of you with lock nut base punch I will replace it with standard CH solid style base punch as I found it to work just as well or better then my orginal design, I think it was only the first 10 customers or so that got these lock nut base punches.

This is my standard base punch supplied with all current orders
http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/P1060963-1.jpg

This is what your new die set will look like.
http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/P1060963.jpg

here is a look at the improved 40 cal bullet on right and similar commercial offering on left.

Ship entire die set including box and base punch along with $50 + $10 s&h, I keep the original BTSniper .250 internial pin/pins that no longer work with the die. You get back the original top stop bolt and nut as well as the new knurled one. For those of you with facotry die internial parts you get them all back.

Great thing about this new improved die is that you can reswage bullets you have allready made to take on this new shorter nose shape!

This would also be a great oportunity to save a bit on shipping and pick up one of my XTP notch dies if you haven't got one allready.

I hope many of you will be able to take advantage of this offer. It brings your die up to the same level of perfection and quality as I am offering with the current design and impoved materials.

Brian Thurner
PO BOX 1783
Hood River, OR.

DukeInFlorida
03-10-2012, 03:15 PM
Yup, Brian's XTP tool is a separate purchase, and yes, it would save you the shipping if you bought it at the same time.

For the pistol bullets, I see no difference whatsoever as a result of the variations in the core weight. I have made, loaded, and fired thousands of them at this point, and they all shoot the same point of aim every time. As I like to tell my reloading students, if you are loading them correctly, they will be more accurate than the ability of the shooter to shoot them.

The XTP die is a universal tool, and can be used on every and all other swaged bullets you might want to make. It's the ONLY way I do pistol bullets these days!

Rifle bullets are the ones that go out further, and you want those to be much more accurate in weight. Hence the reason the rifle die sets come with the core die.

For clarification, I'm thinking your universal XTP punch die is a separate die from this offer and it would save on shipping to buy it with the offer.. I'm thinking that the improvement to C&H will make a smooth ogive HP bullet only and the XTP die would be separate purchase . Is that correct? How do you compensate for cast or swaged cores where they vary several grains and also the hulls vary several grains without a squish die?

BT Sniper
03-10-2012, 05:43 PM
Yes the XTP universal die is a seperate die. It holds the XTP notch insert as well as expanding mandrels.

Yes I have plenty of them ready to ship and would be happy to combine shipping.

Here is the XTP universal die with optional mandrels

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/P1060980.jpg

this is what it allows you to do

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/P1060582.jpg

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/P1060583.jpg

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/xmasandnotches001.jpg

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/xmasandnotches002.jpg

Here is the formed bullet next to a factory round

Here is the potential of the recovered bullet

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/P1060064.jpg

http://i636.photobucket.com/albums/uu87/BTSniper/P1060066.jpg

I hope that helped sum up some confusion. It realy is a very good tool and works perfect for forming the 6 notches in teh top of the jacket. It does work with any caliber from 17-50. What more can I say? Cost is $140 for the XTP die and I would recomend the expanding mandrel as well for $35 additional.

BT

a.squibload
03-11-2012, 05:47 AM
I think you missed my questions about a flat-point pin?

I checked, die not here yet, will try again Mon. or Tues.

Thanks Brian, I'll hit the PO tomorrow.

Been thinking about making a flat-point pin as an alternate to the HP.
Mainly just for a different style, but could make the boolit even shorter.
What is that nylon looking washer for, alignment? If a bolt can be used that
doesn't need lathe turning, I might could do it with my limited equipment.
Otherwise would it be possible to order a flat point pin from BT Industries?

I know, should have asked before!

DukeInFlorida
03-11-2012, 08:50 AM
the 9> .40 set I got from Brian included a flat nose punch, and shallow HP punch, and a deep HP punch. I can make all three nose styles with that set. Not sure if he's still shipping them that way. For my needs, the deep HP makes the most sense. However, the resultant bullet weight is the same no matter which punch you use.

I think you missed my questions about a flat-point pin?

I checked, die not here yet, will try again Mon. or Tues.

BT Sniper
03-11-2012, 12:09 PM
The very first 10 40 cal dies I shipped 3 years ago included 3 different nose punches. I now set up all dies with 1 HP punch. It is no problem to offer additional nose punch designs including small HPs and FN, even different shapped HPs. Just let me know if you need any additional nose pins.

With this up grade I only include/offer the one HP .281 replacment pin.

BT

a.squibload
03-11-2012, 11:03 PM
Thanks, but what is the nylon washer for on the pin?
Just trying to figure out whether I can do it, to save some money!

BT Sniper
03-12-2012, 03:30 AM
Nylon washer is a "buffer" to cushion the blow from using a hammer to eject the bullet with. It also serves as a spacer because without it you would have a shorter length pin and would have to adjust the top stop bolt quite a ways down into the die possibly running out of thread. Or you have a long pin that sticks out the bottom of the die and gets in the way. Or it is "just right" with a nylon spacer that doubles as a buffer to avoid damage to die or pin.

BT

a.squibload
03-13-2012, 12:32 AM
Nylon washer is a "buffer"...BT

Thanks, that's what I needed. Might be a while but I might try it.
Probably don't need to, the new HP pin looks to be shorter.*

*Tuned-up die arrived, looks good! :D
Thanks for the sample boolits, I'll show 'em off now and then.
(Why haven't I tried squishing lead without a jacket?)
The .50 looks impressive! (Huge)
I'll squish some soon, already have seated cores.

jonblack
03-15-2012, 08:52 AM
I think I am going to send my swage die in for a tune up. Thank you for offering the service.

jonblack

BT Sniper
03-15-2012, 11:57 AM
Good to hear from you Jon. Feel free to send it in any time. PM me for details and shipping address.

Thanks

BT

a.squibload
03-28-2012, 02:16 AM
Haven't shot any yet, should be the same.
Want to swage some light 40s from trimmed cases
but now that the die is adjusted for my cores
(about 123gn using stickons & pipe)
I don't wanna change it 'til I run out of cores!
Most of 'em looking like these:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-TMi1Qs7pepU/T3KoLxZRHII/AAAAAAAAAZ8/WvadEV9pVRM/s640/new%2520HP.JPG

My cores are not perfect, still have some that don't fill the jacket
up to the mouth,
for those I add a bit of lead from garage floor splashes.
Drop it in the HP and swage again. Maybe I'll buy a bag of shot some day.

Still doesn't take long to make a pile:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-uLZCnZ-1gqY/T3KoMTZFTXI/AAAAAAAAAaI/2UHdULJw2OA/s640/new%2520pile.JPG

BT Sniper
03-28-2012, 02:29 AM
I sure love to see my customers make great bullets. Those are every bit as good as I can make. They look great! That HP !!!! Don't know what to say without sounding bias :) heck I made it :lol: but NICE WORK! I guess I don't get to use my dies as much as I would like. To busy making them for customers. Perfect match of the tip of the lead to the tip of the jacket by the way.

Yes some simple lead shot makes it very easy to adjust weights. Trick is trying to find it in less then 20lb bags. You might ask around a bit, I bet some one would be willing to give up a pound or two.

BT

p.s. Take a pic when you get them all loaded up. We don't get enough bullet pics. Thanks for posting yours!

a.squibload
03-28-2012, 03:25 AM
No problem. I'll take a couple pics when I load 'em up.

I just read a post by a guy who got 5 bags of shot
at a garage sale for $50. I need to drive around that neighborhood!

Looking for a place to post my LCC press modification, guess here is OK?
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-LFw4-k3dBPc/T3KoLpiVv1I/AAAAAAAAAZ4/ugdjOtorORc/s640/extension.JPG

All garage scrap, extra pin made from a bolt.
Can feel the difference.
Also easier to get the boolits out of the die when they don't want to.
Used swage lube on all moving parts.

String is for a counterweight, just keeps the handle from flopping down
as it is heavier now. String probably won't last but will figure something out.
Replaced wooden knob with a tennis ball but it's too soft, coming loose.
Got a baseball, will try that next.

All my original design except for the part I stole from your pictures.
OK, that means most of it!

BT Sniper
03-28-2012, 03:31 AM
COOL! Extra leverage makes a big difference dosn't it!

I use baseballs for all my press handels. Works great plus it keeps me in touch with the glory days of playing ball if only slightly.

a.squibload
03-29-2012, 01:58 AM
Yeah, gives it a better feel.
So far no evidence of bending of the shellholder slot.

How do you affix a baseball to the handle?
For that matter did you just drill a hole in it?
I was thinking glue, not sure I can make the proper size hole
for a pressfit.

a.squibload
04-11-2012, 12:45 AM
Lee Classic Cast with extended links:

The extra leverage helps a lot but the stops on the vertical links
do not stop the action any more, they pass by the other links.
I accidentally got too close to the cam-over point and the linkage popped underneath the ram
and locked there. Took a little force to pop it back toward the front. Result:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-GcCzSbPcfw8/T4UJDFy5IjI/AAAAAAAAAak/89PXxj8VArQ/s640/base%2520punch.JPG
Cracks in the base punch correspond to the slot in the top of the ram.

Barely got the 40 punch out of the ram top, the punch is a little deformed.
The 44 punch still fits but some of my RCBS shellholders are a tight fit,
one doesn't go in.
I was thinking the adjustment was just right, most of the boolits were filling up
to the jacket mouth, but the die must have been too high.
Better to have the die a little lower, easier to feel when to stop.

Might be able to straighten out the ram top, it's not bad.
So at the least I'm in the market for a new base punch!

DukeInFlorida
04-11-2012, 07:33 AM
That's where Brian's threaded rams come in handy!

There's no T-slot to collapse. Takes me all of 3 minutes to drop out the regular ram, and push in the solid, threaded ram.

I can alternate between using the press as a reloading press, and using it as a swaging press, and never ever worry about the slot getting damaged.

BT Sniper
04-11-2012, 10:18 AM
I also have threaded shell holder addapter, then you can use the threaded ram with standard shell holders for reloading too.

BT

a.squibload
04-18-2012, 10:51 PM
Received new punch, looks good, will squish a few ASAP.

BT Sniper
04-18-2012, 10:55 PM
Cool! Looking at those pics of your bullets again....... WOW! They look perfect!

BT

kd185
04-20-2012, 07:11 AM
Cool! Looking at those pics of your bullets again....... WOW! They look perfect!

BT

found this and thought of brian

http://awesomegifs.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/bullet-bill-bomb.gif

BT Sniper
04-20-2012, 12:05 PM
That's COOL!

Ervin
04-20-2012, 03:58 PM
Brian,
I love your logo. That bullet looks "fast and furious".
Ervin

a.squibload
04-21-2012, 01:18 AM
Who knew that boolit was SO BIG!

kd185
08-31-2012, 08:49 AM
heres another pic of brian

http://engrishfunny.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/engrish-funny-that-capitalist-pig-bowser-believes-he-alone-should-rule-mother-mushia2.jpg

warf73
11-07-2012, 05:23 AM
Is this still being offered?

BT Sniper
11-07-2012, 12:51 PM
Yes this offer is still good. Yes I'll be happy to upgrade any of your CH 40 cal dies.

Send me a PM

Thanks

BT

warf73
11-08-2012, 03:13 AM
PM in bound sir

scarry scarney
02-09-2013, 03:31 PM
Brian

I know I'm bring out an old post. Now that I'm getting back into the swaging thing. Do you still offer the tune-up deal? What's the new price? Reading thru the original post, I must have an early die of yours, I have a lock nut base punch.

BT Sniper
02-09-2013, 03:45 PM
Yes I can tune it all up for you. Still the same price. Send me eveythign you have and I'll fix it up with new parts to make it same as I offer now.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Brian