PDA

View Full Version : Lyman sizer die problem

Tatume
02-08-2012, 08:36 PM
Hello Folks,

When I bought a mold recently the fellow threw in a 0.459" Lyman sizer die. My brother didn't have one, so I gave it to him. He called me and said it doesn't fit all the way into his RCBS Lubri-sizer. It seems to have a fatter taper at the bottom. The problem is that no lube is dispensed into the bullet lube grooves.

Have any of you ever seen this before. I use lots of Lyman dies in my RCBS sizer with no problems.

Thanks, Tom

stubert
02-08-2012, 09:32 PM
Maybe There is a crud ring in the sizer keeping the Lyman die from going in all way? Are the RCBS and Lyman dies the same length? Sometimes, when I switch from one Lyman die to another in my own 450 sizer, it is a pain.

stubshaft
02-08-2012, 09:35 PM
I haven't had any problems switching the RCBS and Lyman dies back and forth.

beagle
02-08-2012, 10:04 PM
Very little difference in Lyman and RCBS dies except I have noted a 1/8" long raised portion at the top of some RCBS dies that is maybe .010" larger in diameter than the body. It didn't keep the die from being used but I detected it when I used it in my nose first rig. After that, I measured all my dies and found about three total out of 90 something.

I'd look for a dried crud ring as has been suggested./beagle

geargnasher
02-09-2012, 12:19 AM
RCBS dies won't fit in either of my Lyman 45s, but fit the 450s ok although they are snug going in and sometimes require extra "encouragement" to remove. I was under the impression that the RCBS die bodies might be a bit bigger at the top AND the bottom than Lyman, so I'm surprised to hear that a Lyman H&I set is having issues going into a LAM.

Gear

220swiftfn
02-09-2012, 12:26 AM
RCBS dies won't fit in either of my Lyman 45s, but fit the 450s ok although they are snug going in and sometimes require extra "encouragement" to remove. I was under the impression that the RCBS die bodies might be a bit bigger at the top AND the bottom than Lyman, so I'm surprised to hear that a Lyman H&I set is having issues going into a LAM.

Gear

I ran into the same problem (RCBS dies in a Lyman 45) and fixed it by polishing down the bottom of the die with emory cloth.....

Dan

C.F.Plinker
02-09-2012, 12:30 AM
Can you measure the diameter at the top and bottom as well as the overall length so we can see how it compares with other Lyman dies we may have?

I recently wrote RCBS about some of their dies not fitting Lyman 450 sizers. Their reply was that about 90% of their dies will fit but the other 10% are too big. They didn't say which dimension(s) were responsible for not fitting. Perhaps someone who has made or modified dies can give us some help here. This problem seems to be happening more often than it used to.

geargnasher
02-09-2012, 01:40 AM
I ran into the same problem (RCBS dies in a Lyman 45) and fixed it by polishing down the bottom of the die with emory cloth.....

Dan

Yep, same thing here, the jam fit in the bottom of the housing is a different tolerance I guess, sure is tight with the RCBS dies. The top part of the RCBS die is what won't work in my Lyman 45s, the shoulder at the top of the die body is a smidge too big to go all the way flush.

Gear

Calamity Jake
02-09-2012, 10:29 AM
Hello Folks,

When I bought a mold recently the fellow threw in a 0.459" Lyman sizer die. My brother didn't have one, so I gave it to him. He called me and said it doesn't fit all the way into his RCBS Lubri-sizer. It seems to have a fatter taper at the bottom. The problem is that no lube is dispensed into the bullet lube grooves.

Have any of you ever seen this before. I use lots of Lyman dies in my RCBS sizer with no problems.

Thanks, Tom

Have your brother adjust the depth rod(at the bottom of the sizer) to allow more boolit into the die, also have him check the top lube holes in the die for plugs that someone may have installed.
I have 2 LAM IIs and a 45 with both companys dies and no problems with interchangeability.

C.F.Plinker
02-09-2012, 10:52 AM
I have two Lyman and tow RCBS dies as well as a 450 sizer and a LAM2 sizer. The ID of the Lyman die retaining nut is .725 in. and the RCBS is .727 in.

The outside diameters measured above the O-ring are (Lyman dimensions first) .721, .721, .715, and .715.

The OD of the dies just above the lube holes are .703, .703, .702, and .701.

The OD of the dies above the bevel are .703, .701, .699, .700.

The ODs at the bottom of the bevels are .600, .600, .550, .545.

The overall lengths of the dies are 1.560, 1.557, 1.568, and 1.570.

I have used one of the RCBS dies (the third one in the above measurements) in the 450 without any problems. I have not yet used any of the Lyman dies in the RCBS sizer.

For these dies it looks like the RCBS dies are just a hair smaller than the Lyman dies.

From the prolems described in earlier posts it appears that the interferences with the RCBS dies fitting into Lyman sizers can be at either the top of the die (beagle and gear) or at the bottom (220swiftfn).