PDA

View Full Version : Leftover Duro Felt???

Just Call Me...G
02-08-2012, 07:04 PM
Howdy Gents,

I read previously in other posts that many of you highly recommend Duro Felt for your over-powder wads.

I went ahead and bought a yard as well as hole punches for my .44 cap-n-ball and my .54 front-stuffer.

The product came in a couple of days ago and I made a whole bunch of wads, I am impressed with them. The transaction with the supplier was absolutely great, excellent communication and customer service.

I wanted to ask a bit of an odd question for those out there making there own wads...what do you do with the leftover (punched out) felt???

I was raised in a family that is very true to the "waste not, want not" philosophy and just feel weird about tossing it if there is something else that I can do with this material. I'm not a hoarder, so if there is no practical use for the remnants, then in the trash they go.

Your comments and recommendations are truly appreciated.

Keep The High Ground,

G

Maven
02-08-2012, 08:13 PM
+1 on dealing with Duro Felt. As for the punched out remnants, I cut them to fit into an empty Bag Balm can to use as padding and store my cast .50cal. RB's in it. ! pc. on the bottom and 1 on the top protect them well.

Fly
02-09-2012, 03:21 AM
My & I thought I was cheap (Wink)

Fly

Dan Cash
02-09-2012, 08:13 AM
I have a cutting/punching jig on a drill press for making wads. My hound takes care of the scraps. She will take care of the good stuff too if I don't watch out.

Hanshi
02-09-2012, 02:00 PM
Durofelt is tops in my book. The leftover scraps can still be used as wadding and that's what I do with it. Just take a wad of it and seat on the powder of a rifle or smoothbore.

John Boy
02-09-2012, 04:53 PM
what do you do with the leftover (punched out) felt???
Garbage Can.
And Ashya is a sweetheart. Back in 2003 when the Frontier Spot forum was still alive, we were talking about felt wads. I found Duro Felt, emailed Ashya asking for smaller pieces for the various widths and hardness for us CAS C&B shooters. Bingo, she put up a link within a week and it's been there ever since

Just Call Me...G
02-10-2012, 01:26 AM
Thank you gents,

You have given me some options that I had not considered.

Finished processing the wads...some dry, some lubed.
Compared them with the commercial ones and they are frontrunners in comparison.
I also have some muslin, pillow ticking and 100% Irish linen to process into patches.

This weekend going to finish taking care of the .54, it came to me in need of some serious TLC.
If time permits, I'll take her out to the desert for a little dance.

If not, next weekend.

Keep The High Ground,

G

Fredx10sen
02-10-2012, 01:39 AM
I have wondered about this myself. The ability to break it down and re matt it would be a nice trick. ??? Might have to experiment a little.