PDA

View Full Version : Partial Cure for Temp Fluxuations on Lee Pot.

Colorado4wheel
02-08-2012, 04:51 PM
So a long time ago I partially insulated the outside of my Lee 20lb pot. Then I spilled lead and kinda made a mess of it so I took it off. Never really ran it much before with out the insulation. I kinda had done a half-as. job of it as well. So the pot just would not hold temp. I decided to do a much better job this time. I packed fiberglass all around the heating elements and in between. Not super tight. Just taking up some space + 25% more. Then I made a sheet of it and wrapped the outside of the pot. Used some wire to hold it in place. This made a huge difference. I can actually get it to settle into 725F and it doesn't move much. If it moves, it moves more slowly. Still planning a PID but this might help those who are choosing to live with it.

buyobuyo
02-08-2012, 10:58 PM
I must have lucked into an exceptionally well made Lee pot. It drips, but nothing I consider excessive. Maybe one drip between pours if that much even. It also holds temp well and usually doesn't fluctuate until I get below half a pot. I also flux with sawdust and leave a thick layer floating on top while I cast, so maybe that has something to do with it.

popper
02-13-2012, 04:09 PM
So the inside the pot insulation actually prevents the pot from getting heated? Take the insulation OUT. The Lee pots control temp by a bi-metallic strip thermostat housed in the control box so it adjusts to the temp of the control box. The control box gets heat from the heater element tubing. Very poor temp control system, but it sort of works.

Colorado4wheel
02-14-2012, 01:05 AM
So the inside the pot insulation actually prevents the pot from getting heated? Take the insulation OUT. The Lee pots control temp by a bi-metallic strip thermostat housed in the control box so it adjusts to the temp of the control box. The control box gets heat from the heater element tubing. Very poor temp control system, but it sort of works.

Insulation is not packed inside the pot. It's wrapped around the outside and most importantly between the pot and the tower behind it. That prevents airflow that causes wild swings in temp. It defiantly works. I cast in a cold garage so that may be part of the issue.

popper
02-14-2012, 12:45 PM
I cast in the garage also, so I built the PID. Yes, insulating the control box and the calrod between the pot and the box should help a lot.