PDA

View Full Version : Removing headstamp from brass

MW3840
02-08-2012, 08:45 AM
Hello to all,

I didn't know which category to place this thread in, so I'll start here.

Is it dangerous to lightly remove the headstamp on the case head of the brass, after case forming to another caliber, with a dremel tool and then mark them with an engraver.

Thanks,
Mike

x101airborne
02-08-2012, 08:53 AM
As long as you do it BEFORE you fire form, I would think it would be ok. Essentially fire forming is setting headspace to the case, so I would either create a false shoulder for the cartrige to push on, or use a boolit seated way out to JUST engage the rifling and a light charge for fire forming. You could probably use something like 4 grains bullseye, but it depends on the case capacity for the cartrige you are fire forming. Just make sure the boolit leaves the barrel every time. You may have to deepen the primer pockets again, just be careful how much material you take off there. Comprimising the bottom of the primer pocket could be disasterous for you, you brass, and your weapon.

Jim
02-08-2012, 09:06 AM
I've done a bit of cartridge conversion from time to time and have courted the same idea. After considering all the methods I could think of, I concluded that it was a waste of my time. The conversions were nowhere near the same shape and size as the originals and I don't let anyone else shoot my ammunition. That being said, I pretty much have total control over the stuff I convert. So, I left the head stamps as original.

On the other hand, if you come up with a method of remarking the conversions without having to remove metal, I'd be interested in hearing what you did.

Be safe,
Jim

cajun shooter
02-08-2012, 09:40 AM
Jim, What about a card or information sheet giving all the information about the new caliber and the process to bring it to it's present state.
We all have control of our things until we take that last breath. Then others have the job of lining it all up.

Shiloh
02-08-2012, 10:08 AM
Is this to just skinny the base down a little, or to totally remove it??

Shiloh

Breadman03
02-08-2012, 10:29 AM
I don't have your answer, but what about color coding them by filling the stamp with enamel?

jimwill48
02-08-2012, 10:35 AM
Many moons ago (35 years) there was an ammo seller who bought out a another ammo manufacturer. For some reason they were not allowed to sell this ammo with the manufactures headstamp on the case. they solved this issue by lathe turning the headstamp off, this left a groove in the case head where the headstamp used to be. This in no way affected the reloadability of the case. I must of bought over a dozen cases of this ammo in 22/250 at the time. It was cheaper than reloading and in my rifles was sub minute of angle ammo....

curator
02-08-2012, 10:44 AM
OK with rimless cases before fireforming. With rimmed or belted rimless cases you increase headspace by thining the case head/rim. Keep in mind that removing material from the case head you are also affecting the primer pocker depth. You may need to deepen the pocket. This might not be such a good idea on high pressure cartridges.

Blammer
02-08-2012, 11:07 AM
I'd just paint the bottom of the cartridge with a colored magic marker, red, black, blue, whatever. It'll stand out as different for sure.

bobthenailer
02-08-2012, 11:10 AM
Over many years ive made brass for wildcats or hard to find brass ! 30 herret , 25x284 , 257 roberts improved , 7mm tcu , 7mm ishma, & 350 rem mag . I have never thought to remove the headstamps from that brass, as each case has a different shape than the parent brass.

MW3840
02-08-2012, 11:14 AM
Shiloh, I'm not talking about completely removing the headstamp, just enough to disfigure it enough to etch the new caliber with an engraver.

JimWill 48, I guess you answered my question.

Thanks to all for the help,
Mike

rr2241tx
02-08-2012, 12:24 PM
Probably be better to have a bunter EDMed with the correct information and use a log splitter to re-headstamp the cases if you're going to go to that much trouble in the first place.

Jal5
02-08-2012, 02:25 PM
Marking the case with a magic marker works at least until you tumble them for cleaning. Any kind of marker that won't come off? Joe

geargnasher
02-08-2012, 03:30 PM
Just take a dremel with a mini ball mill and swipe it across the caliber stamp, or part of it, to disfigure it enough to catch attention. Then use a mini stamp set to add identifying marks next to that if there's room. I saw a .35 Whelen case (reformed '06) once that had a big "5" stamped over the '"0" in ".30".

Gear

fredj338
02-08-2012, 03:44 PM
I think I read one of the other's but on rimmed cases, you wil increase headspace a bit, never good. On rimless, it won't matter much.

stubshaft
02-08-2012, 09:50 PM
I think I read one of the other's but on rimmed cases, you wil increase headspace a bit, never good. On rimless, it won't matter much.

Rimless cartridges are headspaced from the base to the datum line on the shoulder. If you thin the base prior to fireforming you still increase headspace by thinning the base. You would(should) form a false shoulder on the cartridge to headspace on before blowing out the shoulder.

HangFireW8
02-08-2012, 10:26 PM
When possible, I like to do case forming with military brass that has no caliber marking. For all else, I dip the case head in CB Brass Black and label the boxes clearly.

Mutilating the existing imprint might be OK, but the case head is one part of the brass I am loathe to mess with. Besides headspace, it is the only thing in between me and 50-60K PSI.