PDA

View Full Version : little help

bryonbush
02-08-2012, 12:12 AM
i was loading some .40's tonight sized and lubes with my star a few weeks ago. ive noticed that the lube seemed very dry and flakey. some of the lube fell out of the grove even. im using the JPW/canning wax/LLA and hint of oil treatment. AKA- bryon bush has no clue what hes using, just mixed **** up to make a lube for the first time- Lube! im thinking i may need to re mix it with some bees wax or something to soften it up or something.

runfiverun
02-08-2012, 03:01 AM
you got parrafin,,burnt parrafin,parrafin with some carnuba and some solvents to round it all out.
the solvents dried out and left you with crumbly parrafin.
the parrafin is not a good carrier of the alox.
if you added some beeswax you would have a better carrier but still not a proper lube.
add about 10% vaseline [yeah another parrafin just not burned] this will help as a plasticizer.
and about 25% white lithium grease [yeah another parrafinic but a stearate]
both of these will help to soften the lube add lubricity and the white lith will act as a binder.
if you need more softness then some good ole atf a table spoon at a time to a half pound will add softness to the lube that won't evaporate.
lanolin will add stickyness to the lube.

DukeInFlorida
02-08-2012, 08:16 AM
two words: BEES WAX

Use that as the wax base.

RandyRat here at the forum is the go-to guy for bees wax.

No more paraffin.

cajun shooter
02-08-2012, 09:55 AM
You may want to try the White Label lubes until you have the lube making down a little better.
Sometimes new loaders or casters don't think about how important the correct lube is when loading ammo.
Lube may make a difference of several inches on your target or cause stringing.
The lubes made by Lars are cheap and work very well. The BAC would be a good choice for your
The lube you mixed up was headed for problems from the start. Take a piece of JPW and leave it out exposed to the air and see what you end up with. It will crumble and fall apart.

bryonbush
02-08-2012, 12:00 PM
thanks so much fellas for the advice. the first batch i made up worked really well on my 45's and didnt have the issues like i do now. heading to the swapping and selling spot now to buy some bees wax!

9-toes
04-13-2012, 09:44 PM
I see a lot of references for white Lithium. Is there a particular reason? I have a can of this I was thinking about using:
http://www.valvoline.com/products/brands/valvoline/grease/66

It shows as a NLGI #2 Grade Lithium Complex EP Grease - should I just save it for the wheel bearings?

9-toes
04-14-2012, 12:42 AM
Didn't mean to hijack the thread - just something I kept seeing.

runfiverun
04-14-2012, 01:47 AM
it will be pretty tacky.
you could try using about 35% of it to beeswax.
white and brown lithium both make a good lube, the final result can be pretty soft.
that's not a bad thing.

too sticky can cause issues in the bbl, and in storage though.
and some of the number 2 greases will harden up severely with just a small amount [10%] of bees waxwax added.
also the blending can be problematic the grease won't melt till upwards of 350-500*f.
there are ways around this issue.
but trying it is the best way to find out what will and won't work.