PDA

View Full Version : Marlin mfr. 1948 with non-microgroove

rjathon
02-07-2012, 11:03 PM
I found the above, well worn and dull on the outside, but with a bright bore and strong rifling. Does anyone have any experience with these older ones?

Thanks,

Russ

Yellowhouse
02-07-2012, 11:59 PM
Older is good! But what do you have?

Guesser
02-08-2012, 12:09 AM
I have a 1949 Marlin 336A in 32 W.S. 24" barrel, half magazine, 1949 Weaver K2.5 mounted in Buehler mounts and rings. The rig was bought as a package and has never been broken up except to have the scope rebuilt in 2002. Reinstalled and shoots as good as it ever did.

Dan Cash
02-08-2012, 12:13 AM
It is a magnificent rifle in a choice caliber. Some will say it is a shame that it was drilled for the scope but what ever pulls your trigger.

northmn
02-08-2012, 11:28 AM
http://i550.photobucket.com/albums/ii425/Davidpeck16/Buck%202011/Buck2011002.jpg
I have had a little experience with my older Marlin in 35 Remington. I like the design and the 24 inch barrel. Now have reloading dies for it and can make up plinking loads with 38 pistol bullets. Changed the Red Dot to a 1.5X4 power rifle scope. While it does detract from the collecter appeal somewhat to have one scoped, my older eyes appreciate it.

DP

Guesser
02-08-2012, 11:35 AM
Dan, if the drilling had been done after the fact I might agree, but this is all the same time period and sold as a package from a long gone gun shop in a small town in Eastern Idaho. The scope is verified 1949 production as are the mounts and perfectly mated to the rifle when all were new and never fired. It will shoot 3 shot clover leafs at a hunnert yods with any bullet, cast or jacketed, that I have developed loads for, won't even come close to doing that with modern factory loads. Yup, good combo and a piece of historical gun lore.

W.R.Buchanan
02-08-2012, 02:42 PM
Microgroove barrels started in 57 or 58 I have a .30-30 made in 58 and It has MG.

You gun is a classic and if you have plans to refurbish the finish on both the wood and metal I would encourage you to do so.

None of these guns have any collector value. They are shooters pure and simple. Refurbishment would add to the value and it would end up increasing the life of the gun dramatically.

It's 62 right now just like Me! Unlike me it could easily make another 62 years.

The thing about guns is their longivity depends entirely on care and maintenance . More so than most other things we hold dear. They tend to be stored for long periods of time, and unfortuneatly sometimes they are rode hard and put away wet.

The invention of the readily available gun safe has increased the likelyhood that guns enclosed in it wil be kept nicer than those just stuffed into a closet. Still, even a decent soft case and a good coating of oil or a serious wipedown with a silicone rag will keep them looking good for along time, and is certainly much better than just laying there in a corner collecting dust.

I was digging thru my step fathers car trunk one day and I found a gun I didn't know he possessed. It was a pristine M92 Winchester in 25-20 and there was even a box of cartridges with it. However it was only pristine on one side and when I picked it up the side that was laying down on the blanket was rusted solid.

I almost threw up! It was trash. He said it was in his car for a year or so wrapped in a blanket. This gun would have required a very expensive trip to Turnbulls to save.

So if your gun is nicer IE no signifcant rust or cosmetic problems, finding someone to reblue it and then refiinishing the stocks would be a good thing to do and It would be something to be proud of for along time to come.

Pretty sure that gun was drilled for the scope mounts at the factory during construction. I don't know exactly when they started D&Ting them but my 1958 model has it. They were also Drilled and Tapped for Lyman receiver sights. 2 holes on left side near the ejector pin.

Randy

barkerwc4362
02-08-2012, 09:32 PM
As early as 1954 Marlin started using the Micro-Groove rifling and by 1956 Micro-Groove was being used in all firearms. This is according to Brophy. Again according to Brophy, in 1956 Marlin started drilling and tapping the 336 receiver for scope mounts. .35 Remington was first offered in the 336C in 1953.

Bill

Muddy Creek Sam
02-08-2012, 09:38 PM
My old Marlin 1894 Is 38-40 and has a 3 digit serial number, last patent date on barrel is 1893. Wish I could get a manufacture date on it. Shot Straight.

Sam :D

W.R.Buchanan
02-08-2012, 10:40 PM
I do need that Brophy Book on Marlins, he is definately an authority.

Randy

madsenshooter
02-08-2012, 10:45 PM
As early as 1954 Marlin started using the Micro-Groove rifling and by 1956 Micro-Groove was being used in all firearms. This is according to Brophy. Again according to Brophy, in 1956 Marlin started drilling and tapping the 336 receiver for scope mounts. .35 Remington was first offered in the 336C in 1953.

Bill

Brophy don't know it all or Marlin just slid a few by him. My 35Rem 336 was made in 55, has cut 7 groove rifling, and must've been factory drilled and tapped as a Lyman Tru-Lock mount for the 336 went right on it, after I removed the plug screws. But Brophy didn't know all there was to know about Krags either.

wrench man
02-09-2012, 01:03 AM
I've got a 1950 336A 35 Remington, the ballard barrel on it will put hand loaded Remington 200grn CoreLockt's into a tinny little group!, it also has been drilled and tapped, I got it with plug screw in it and found that the standard Weaver base went on with NO! issues, I believe that it was drilled later in life by the Marlin factory?, weather or not the Weaver K-4 looks right at home on top!
Brophy's book is a good one, but I agree, there are some discrepancy's.

northmn
02-10-2012, 07:52 PM
My Marlin was probably not drilled and tapped by the factory as the 4 screw holes do not quite line up and it is not exactly straight. Had to do some creative shimming to get the scope to center. It is not microgrooved and is a "waffle top". Also had a compass inlayed in the butt that i would like to replace as it is cracked and ahrd to read. In addition had to do some forearm work as it walked to the right as it heated up. It now shoots good enough fo my uses. Probably the forearm work was the reason it is in such good shape.

DP

pls1911
02-12-2012, 12:38 PM
I have examples of nearly every Marlin from '93 thrugh 1956.
I am among those who think drilling early waffle top receivers is sinful, but if it's already done, then so be it. In fact the last gun I bought was a 1951 with a vintage El Paso Weaver.
Older guns, grayed around the sharp edges and bluing mostly gone from hinest use have a charactor which can't be denied. I' oil 'em up repair the stocks, and shoot bullets sized .311 or .312. The result is wonderfully accurate guns with the warmth of years.
Yours sounds like a great find. Clean it up and enjoy it... PLEASE do not modify it.

Guesser
02-12-2012, 05:32 PM
My 1949 was state of the art and hunters were just coming to understand what a scope could do for them. If it had been the "fad" to not poke holes in them then we wouldn't have scopes on anything today. The guys that bought a new Marlin in 1949 and put a scope on it were the second generation of smokeless cartridge shooters, think progress of the day. And they bought that Marlin so that they could have a center line scope installed, not hanging off the side.

Old Goat Keeper
02-12-2012, 07:44 PM
The early Marlins (pre mid 50's) were NOT d&t from the factory guys. And I have a 1950 SC in 35 remington so Marlin made levers in 35R atleast back to 1950 guys. Brophy does have some good info BUT he is NOT the ultimate authority on Marlins!

T-o-m who collects Marlins