PDA

View Full Version : New 224 dies from RCE

Lizard333
02-07-2012, 10:52 PM
I got my new dies in today from RCE. I must admit I thought I kind new what was up before I got these in the mail, but after seeing these in person, I must admit it is very overwhelming. I have read through the included instructions almost a dozen times but they just don't seem to make sense. Maybe when the walnut hill press I ordered shows up, supposed to be back ordered till the middle of this month, I might have a better understanding. The dies are labeled from left to right in the back, then left to right in the front.

224 S 190
224 P6 072
224 C
224/243 J with a START on the bottom
Nothing on the black one?
Now front:
224 S 190
224 C 205 RF
224 C 198
224 C 200
224 P

It also came with the bag full of a couple completed rounds and some example 22LR jackets. I think the small rod is supposed to push the finished jacket out of the die.

I also got a wire cutter. I have no idea how that's supposed to mount yet. I guess I'll see.

MIBULLETS
02-08-2012, 12:11 AM
Let me try to help identify what you have.

The die and punch with "S" are the core swaging die and punch, makes a .190" diameter core.

The die and punch with "C" on them are for seating the core in the jacket.

The die and punch with the "P" on them are the point forming die and punch, the P6 means it is a 6S shape point forming die.

The 224/243J is your rimfire case jacket maker die and the dark one is the punch to push the cases through the die to unfold the cases and make them into jackets.

All of the dies will screw into the press ram and the punches will screw into the punch holder you will get with the press, which goes in the top of the press. The only exception is the jacket maker, it will screw into the top of the press and the dark punch into the ram.

The small rod is probably only needed if you want to make 243 jackets from 22 cases. In that case you only push the case into the die far enough to unfold the rim, them push it back out. When making 224 jackets, you will just push the case all of the way through the die so it comes out the other side.

Hope that helps or is what you were looking for.

bfuller14
02-08-2012, 01:33 AM
Lizard333,
Go too Ammosmith.com
http://ammosmith.com/
Chose the Video Library
Go too the right and chose Bullet casting/Swagging (4th from top)
chose #2 Advanced Bullet swagging nine part series

Very good
Regards,
Barry

Reload3006
02-08-2012, 08:08 AM
here is a video making rimfire jackets that I did. its using your exact gear as I have the same stuff. It should clear up your questions on your jacket making stuff.
Other than that MI pretty much summed it all up
the S marked punches and dies are for cores
the C marked punches and die are for core seating .. you should have about 3 or 4 different punches for that in different sizes to fit your jackets
the punch marked P is for point forming.
and if you have or get some that have L its for cleaning up your lead tip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN1BrZM-U2Q

Lizard333
02-08-2012, 09:18 AM
You guys are great. I'm hoping to have the press within the next couple of weeks. I'm going to be heading to Al's (Blaster62), and see if I can get some hands on training. I will be able to make some lead wire for the cores and gets some hands on. He has Corbin dies and presses but I think I should be able to get the idea.

Does anyone have one of RCE's wire cutter? Could I see a pic of how it is mounted?? That thing has got me scratching my head. Thanks again guys!!

Reload3006
02-08-2012, 09:37 AM
I have the RCE wire cutter. If you looked at the video I made and linked you will get to my site. On one of my swaging videos i shot that cutter in action. You will be glad you get one once you have it ... it still hurts LOL a lot of money.

Reload3006
02-08-2012, 06:21 PM
one other thing you may want to do I dont know how long it will take Richard to get your press to you it was only a few months for mine. But if you wanted to get started that die will work in your single stage Reloading press make sure you screw start side down. take the .224 draw punch out of its holder and have one of the lathe people on here make you a reloading press slotted punch holder for it and you could be making jackets while you are waiting.

Lizard333
02-14-2012, 09:26 AM
I got an email from Richard. He got some of the parts he needed for the presses yesterday, and he said he would be shipping out the presses on Friday. I'm stoked!!

This Friday I'll be at Al's (Blaster62). I'll be learning how to use these diss and making some wire for the 22.

BLASTER62
02-14-2012, 09:21 PM
I got an email from Richard. He got some of the parts he needed for the presses yesterday, and he said he would be shipping out the presses on Friday. I'm stoked!!

This Friday I'll be at Al's (Blaster62). I'll be learning how to use these diss and making some wire for the 22.

The planets are aligning! Glad to see you got it in short time.[smilie=w:

Utah Shooter
02-14-2012, 09:53 PM
Fantastic. I am very curious how these will come out. What was the ogive on these again 6s? Oh and what press are you getting again?

Lizard333
02-14-2012, 10:39 PM
I'm getting Richards Walnut Hill press. I believe the dies are a 6s ogive. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

taminsong
04-04-2012, 04:29 AM
Lizard333,

Any news on your press? Have you got it? I have ordered one from Richard and still awaiting confirmation if he's ship it or not.

Lizard333
04-04-2012, 07:50 AM
Yes it did. I am very happy with it. Give Richard a little time. If you have questions I found the best way to get a hold of him was through an email. Just ask.

midnight
04-04-2012, 07:27 PM
I talked to Richard today. He responded to my email within the hour. He said he has Walnut Hill presses on the shelf and would ship one today if I wanted. He also said the Sea Girt press was only built when he got an order but they are selling much better now and he is beginning to stock them. I told him I wanted to wait til after tax day. It's a lot of money to spend, especially when you add jackets, lube, & an adapter for S dies and probably some more add ons I'll think of between now and the day I order.

Bob

Utah Shooter
04-04-2012, 08:01 PM
So any groups or photo's of projectiles?

Lizard333
04-04-2012, 10:28 PM
Some of the first ones I made. I have yet to put them on paper but I hope to in the near future.

BLASTER62
04-05-2012, 11:45 AM
Some of the first ones I made. I have yet to put them on paper but I hope to in the near future.

Doug Look at a Hover metplat trimmer & pointing die To close up points will shoot Great then

Lizard333
04-05-2012, 12:58 PM
I found the stuff you are taking about here:

http://www.bullettipping.com/index.html

I sent them an email about getting the pointing die made for my bullet. Thanks Al!

Utah Shooter
04-05-2012, 01:42 PM
Doug Look at a Hover metplat trimmer & pointing die To close up points will shoot Great then

Yeah I had a buddy make me a smaller ejection pin for my set. Does not let them get as closed as the tip dies that is for sure.

I did find that getting the meplat smaller on the 55 gr projectiles made from 22lr starts to squeeze the lead out. Next batch I think I will try 52 gr projectiles.

BLASTER62
04-05-2012, 11:07 PM
Yeah I had a buddy make me a smaller ejection pin for my set. Does not let them get as closed as the tip dies that is for sure.

I did find that getting the meplat smaller on the 55 gr projectiles made from 22lr starts to squeeze the lead out. Next batch I think I will try 52 gr projectiles.

With the 22 lr you have to make them like you said, or go to 22 mag to get a longer jacket. Then you might have to trim jacket to your weight & profile.

Lizard333
04-06-2012, 11:56 AM
Will the 17 HMR brass work? It looks like a necked down 22 Mag. What do I know.... I found some the last time I was at Ben Avery, but have not tumbled them to give it a try.

Work seems to be interfearing with my swaging, casting and reloading........;)

Reload3006
04-06-2012, 12:23 PM
you have to cut the necked down part off. But if your using them for 224 it will be tough.

Lizard333
04-06-2012, 07:20 PM
So what your saying is it probly isn't worth the time and effort. Fair enough. Thanks for the info.

Reload3006
04-07-2012, 09:22 AM
CCI Stinger cases will make your heavier .224 bullets with the de rim set you have. They are pretty cool too because of the nickle plating they look bad ***

newcastter
04-08-2012, 08:01 PM

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/195124f0630c3890bb.jpg
Do you think the Hover pointing die could close these tips up a bit?

Utah Shooter
04-08-2012, 09:44 PM
Looks like you need to tighten down the point die a bit more.

newcastter
04-09-2012, 10:48 AM
Looks like you need to tighten down the point die a bit more.

Thats as small a metplat the danr dies allow, again pertaining to my question does anyone have any experience with the Hover tipping die to know if this would help with making a smaller tip

Utah Shooter
04-09-2012, 12:30 PM
Thats as small a metplat the danr dies allow, again pertaining to my question does anyone have any experience with the Hover tipping die to know if this would help with making a smaller tip
Sorry. Yes the tipping die will tighten those down. Not sure if it will get it really tight though. I would get in touch with Dan about that being the smallest the meplat will allow as well.

MIBULLETS
04-09-2012, 05:23 PM
I don't think it will help those much. The tipping dies are generally used to almost close a tip that is pretty small to begin with.

Utah Shooter
06-09-2012, 07:56 PM
So any results Lizard? I am curious how they shoot?

rasto
06-10-2012, 02:02 AM
For that kind of money (Hoover tipping die) it is not worthy although I was thinking about it as well.
First of all, try to change the upper punch which offers you smaller hollow point.
When I was measuring my final bullet the inner diameter was exactly 0.090"
That is the max what I can do with my Dan's dies.

http://i48.tinypic.com/25a83gk.jpg

Utah Shooter
06-10-2012, 02:27 AM
Max or the tightest? Does a large meplat and the rim line in the back make them less accurate?

rasto
06-10-2012, 02:51 AM
Tightest of course ;-)
I do not care about pin point accuracy because they are for my M4 IPSC shooting where amount counts :-)