PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 gas block material

roysha
02-07-2012, 08:37 PM
I've been thinking of installing a low gas block with a single top Picatinny rail on my AR and have been getting conflicting advice in regard to the material that is acceptable.

It seems that nearly everyone believes the steel will last much longer than aluminum (depending on what they have to sell) but some have said that unless the gun is full auto, the aluminum will last nearly as long and they (the aluminum ones) are a lot less expensive.

I realize that it is not something that is changed regularly so I suppose the initial cost should not be a factor, but why spend the money if it is not necessary.

What are your thoughts?

tomme boy
02-07-2012, 10:11 PM
I went with the Brownells low profile. It is steel. I also had a Alum one on a varmit barrel. But that one was a oversize one with the rail on top. I never had a problem with either. It depends on how much you shoot, and how fast. The alum will erode faster than the steel. Your gas port is going to be worn too much before you see a problem with the gas block. But at the same time, if your gass port is oversized like most seem to be now, it is going to erode both faster.

camaro1st
02-07-2012, 11:59 PM
i haven't seen a problem with either. have shot alot of lead through both and no problems. the steel will expand and contract with the barrel better but i dont think it makes any difference.