PDA

View Full Version : something I find interesting

Fly
02-07-2012, 02:39 PM
I have been shooting my Lyman GPR this week working on loads & so
on.I shoot off the back porch cause I can & not many people down
here at the lake this time of year.

My patch lube has mostly been 50% bees wax & 50% olive oil.I started
trying pure mink oil, here of late.I really like it, cause it's real easy to clean.
But it shoots about 2 inches lower at 50 yd's than the bee,s wax, olive oil lube.

Same patch,ball powder load.No big deal I just raised the rear site.But I never
had a lube that changed it that much.I guess the bee's wax make a tighter
fit, & builds more back pressure, is all I can figure.

It,s winter also, but really not that cold here in Okla.Have any of you run
into this with one patch lube to another?:lovebooli

Fly

stubshaft
02-07-2012, 04:02 PM
I've run into POI changes by varying the amount of lube I put on a patch. That's why I use Dutch Schultz' method of applying lube.

Omnivore
02-07-2012, 04:43 PM
Fly; I'm guessing that your assessment is correct. I tried some 180 grain BallEtts out of a Remington .44 revolver, and with the same powder charge it delivered far higher velocity than the lighter, wadded round balls. Maybe there was some difference in the seal, but these are big (.457") round balls with wads. My hypothesis is the same as yours - higher pressure makes for a hotter burn, still higher pressure, a more complete buring of the powder inside the bore, and more velocity.

Fly
02-07-2012, 06:55 PM
Well that'a all I can think of.Remember it's like 45 degrees here.Not bad cold but
enough to make my bee,s wax pillow ticking stiff.Mink oil is not that way at all.

The guy's that love mink oil, tell me they like it for cold days hunting cause it
does not get stiff.Now this summer all bets are off.I know I'm not the only guy that has
noticed this.But then again there are not to many using it as other lubes.

Fly