PDA

View Full Version : Grips for my Ruger

Sasquatch-1
02-07-2012, 08:46 AM
I am thinking about ordering a set of grips for my New Model Blackhawk Convertable from a company called "Altamont". http://www.altamontco.com/products/pistol/ruger/superblackhawk.php

Has anyone here ever used them? Or does anyone know of a better place to buy?

For $75.00 I can get a set of bonded ivory (better known as fake ivory) scrimshawed on both grips.

DaveCampbell
02-07-2012, 01:19 PM
I have no first-hand experience with Altamont thus far, but while perusing the Ruger website looking for faux-ivory grips for my New Model Blackhawks I noticed that the ones you get from Ruger are made by Altamont. One thing to be aware of is that Altamont offers instructions on fitting individual grips, but I see nothing to suggest that they will do it for you. Whether that is an issue is up to you, of course, but I just wanted to make sure you were aware of it.

Best,

Dave

P.S.--I just spoke with Doug at Altamont and he very quickly took my order for two sets of bonded-ivory grips. They are the same that came with my New Model Blackhawk in .45 Colt, and those seem satisfactory. Will let you know how these are when they arrive.

--DC

Sasquatch-1
02-07-2012, 04:11 PM
P.S.--I just spoke with Doug at Altamont and he very quickly took my order for two sets of bonded-ivory grips. They are the same that came with my New Model Blackhawk in .45 Colt, and those seem satisfactory. Will let you know how these are when they arrive.
--DC

Thanks I would greatly appreciate it. Looking at the on line instructions it appears they will fit well. The gun that I will be putting these on is an older New Model. After talking with Ruger I found that there are two or three frame sizes in the New Model Blackhawks. I was going to call Altamont today and ask about the frame sizes.

ReloaderFred
02-08-2012, 01:55 AM
I have half a dozen Altamont grips on Rugers. The only issue I've ever had with them was I needed to put a little dab of glue in a couple of the screw inserts to keep them from turning when I installed the grips. They all fit exactly as they should, and are of great quality.

Mine are all Fleur-de-lis grips of Super Rosewood. They're also admired by everyone who sees them...........

http://www.altamontco.com/products/pistol/ruger/blackhawk.php

Hope this helps.

Fred