PDA

View Full Version : More M1a questions

Flinchrock
02-07-2012, 08:25 AM
I found a good deal on a fair quantity of factory PMC 147fmj ammo,,is that brass considered ok for reloading? never used it before.

Also, is Mobile-1 synthetic grease good, bad, ugly, for lubing the grease points on a M1a?
I'm asking because I HAVE it,,,but I will GET whatever I need...

As you boys can see,,,I am the proud owner of a brand new SA standard, and I want to feed it right and care for it properly! So any advice is much appreciated as far as care and feeding.

I have been doing research,,,this is part of it.

phonejack
02-07-2012, 08:50 AM
PMC has the same volume as arsenal brass so load from there. Shooters Choice is the universal lube. Use grease,not oil on parts that slide against each other. That includes the bolt roller.There is an old "rule of thumb" on reloading for the "pogo stick". Reload twice and throw away. That way you don't risk a case head seperation.If you don't have a "broker case extractor" buy one, they are cheap.Some people neck size their brass instead of full length resizing.That allows the case to be reloaded more times. That's fine for single-loading, but in extending shooting where the barrel gets "hot" you will eventually have a case fail to fully seat or extract from the chamber.

Larry Gibson
02-07-2012, 03:38 PM
PMC cases are good NATO spec 7.62 cases. Use the RCBS X- die (regular one, the SB die is not needed) to size the cases and you'll get 16+ firings per case and won't have to trim.

I've use a marine litium based grease for many years on all my gas guns (M1, M1A, M1 Carbine, FN/FAL, Mini14, etc. + ARs. It is very similar to the lithium based grease that used to be issued in the little plastic contaners for use on M1/M14/BARs/M1 Carbines/MGs etc.

Larry Gibson

Flinchrock
02-07-2012, 07:54 PM
Thanks again fellows!

ilcop22
02-09-2012, 08:41 PM
I use Mobile 1 on both my prized Garand and my Springfield NM M1A. I also use it on cars. Works great!

DukeInFlorida
02-11-2012, 07:25 PM
The #1 lube for lubing these guns is: SUPERLUBE

http://markhudsonbowen.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/super-lube-tftp-grease1.jpg

Gtek
02-11-2012, 07:37 PM
The grease that was issued with the Garand was Lubriplate 135A. Things have changed a lot since
then in the world of lubrication. I use STP on some, mix Tri-Flow with 135 on others. That weapon design has heavy contact areas, shoot it a hundred times and every where it is shiny- put grease.
Gtek

ElDorado
02-11-2012, 08:40 PM
Plastilube was the grease that was issued with the M14. It’s reddish-brown in color, and most often found in those little clear cups with the yellow cap that fit in the buttstock. Scott Duff sells it in 2 ounce jars on his website. As I recall, its properties included the ability to stay tacky and not liquefy in extreme heat, to resist washing away during heavy rain or river fordings.
As a practical matter, just about any grease you have on hand will do. The Lubriplate for the M1 was mentioned, and it will work fine, as will almost any other lithium grease. If you have Mobil-1, go ahead and use it. Just make sure you know where it needs grease. I think that’s the most important thing.

Flinchrock
02-12-2012, 07:31 AM
I found this...

m14forum.com/.../96750-m14-detailed-lubrication-instructions.html

I hope that works,,,It is a very detailed pictorial pdf

ElDorado
02-12-2012, 10:56 AM
That’s a fairly good guide, except I think he puts a lot of grease where it’s not needed. I sure wouldn’t put any around the rear sight like he does. That’s a little overboard. I do like the little grease packing tool for the roller, I made a similar one for my own use. I think anything on his list of greases should suffice.

Here are some links to the old GI manual in two parts. The second part has the recommended grease points that the army used.

http://photos.imageevent.com/badgerdog/generalstorage/m14tecnicalfolder/FM25-8%20M14%20Part%20A.pdf

http://photos.imageevent.com/badgerdog/generalstorage/m14tecnicalfolder/FM25-8%20M14%20Part%20B.pdf

Flinchrock
02-12-2012, 08:51 PM
I agree,,,I kinda wondered about the rear sight thing also,,but all in all I thought it was pretty informative,,good pictures.

Gtek
02-13-2012, 07:35 PM
Inside the gas cylinder and Op- Rod tip, chamber, and firing pin and hole dry. You can grease how much and what ever you want everywhere else. Gtek

Hip's Ax
02-13-2012, 07:43 PM
I have an LRB lugged receiver NM M1A and my M1A smith of choice uses Mobil 1 synthetic grease and swears by it. I bought a pound after I picked up the rifle and it has seen no other grease.

P.S. You are going to love that rifle!

giz189
02-13-2012, 08:05 PM
I saw that on the m14 forum also. Around here where I live, I will have to clean it every time I take it out. It is really dusty here in the hot summertime. If I put as much grease on the rifle as he suggested, I mean.