PDA

View Full Version : Info needed on a .41 boolit

MikeyPooh
02-07-2012, 12:33 AM
Hi all, I am in the middle of working out a local craigslist deal and a guy sent me a pic of some lead .41 mag boolits, and they don't look like anything I've ever seen before... they don't seem to have any lube grooves??

http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/3203/002dif.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/849/002dif.jpg/)

Am I missing something here, or should I run away from these?

Blammer
02-07-2012, 12:41 AM
they could be OLD swaged bullets from a manufacturer, they used a dry lubricant on them. They may be good for plinking, (read not high velocity loads).

From the looks of the pics there is no lube on them at all, of course it is blurry and hard to see.

I would be very wary of them if all the lubricant is gone.

littlejack
02-07-2012, 12:48 AM
+ 1 on what Blammer said.
Maybe a fella could smear some LLA on them for low velocity. But then again, if they fit good and tight in the bore, you may not have any trouble with them.
Jack

runfiverun
02-07-2012, 01:01 AM
i'd put them in a half jacket......
you'll have to roll them over/between a file to knurl them if they are large enough then lube but i'm pretty sure they are cores for half jacket bullets though and pure lead.

stubshaft
02-07-2012, 01:23 AM
Depends on the price. TL with a little xlox and use for light plinking loads.

Jim Flinchbaugh
02-07-2012, 01:49 AM
you'll have to roll them over/between a file to knurl them

This is a brilliant idea-stored away for future reference
Thanks!

MikeyPooh
02-07-2012, 11:17 AM
Depends on the price.

See and that's what I hate. Why does nothing ever go smoothly!? There are 175-200 of these, but that is just part of the lot. Spent about an hour and a half coming close to a deal thru email last night and now this monkeywrench, lol.

Well thanks for everyones input, I was clueless on these, much obliged.

skeet1
02-07-2012, 01:07 PM
Those might be from a company called "Alberts" (not sure of spelling). They made some bullets that had a dry lube without lube grooves if I remember correctly.

Ken

Bosshaug
02-07-2012, 01:47 PM
Those look like a bunch of 38 special bullets I have. They are swaged and tumbled with mollylube. Got a good deal on 5K of them back in the 80's when they were popular. Still have a few left, I load them mid to low range velocity, using Trail Boss powder.