PDA

View Full Version : 1894 Krag parts help

x101airborne
02-07-2012, 12:00 AM
Hi all. I recently purchased a reciever, stripped and origional for a 1894 Craig rifle. I would like to make a shooter rifle out of it, but of course, I need more parts. If anyone has any parts whatsoever for this build, I would be interested. Please post here or PM me. Thanks in advance.

John 242
02-07-2012, 12:22 AM
Do you mean a 1894 Krag?
If so, do you have the US made receiver or is it a Norwegian?

John 242
02-07-2012, 12:31 AM
Here's a start for a US Krag... if that's what we're talking about.
http://www.poppertsgunparts.com/webdata2/search.html
I assume you just want a shooter and you're not trying to restore it?

x101airborne
02-07-2012, 09:03 AM
Thanks, guys. I forgot these are spelled Krag. It is a springfield reciever, so I am guessing it is US. I have never had one, shot one, or anything so this is very much a new experience. I am looking for just a shooter, not a restoration. Thanks for the link.

John 242
02-07-2012, 12:16 PM
Don't know if this is any help, but its a schematic for a 1896. Some parts may not be the same as a 1894.
Found it here;
http://www.weaponeer.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11105&PN=2

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_15334f314a5061c4d.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=3834)

If it's a Springfield receiver, then it's a US Krag.

Numrich doesn't have much specifically for the 1894, but some of the parts between models may interchange. You'd have to call and ask for specifics.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Search.aspx?filter=Krag+

Sounds like a fun project. Just be aware that the Krag with it's single front locking lug isn't as strong as some rifles. Don't expect to hot rod it.

x101airborne
02-07-2012, 12:55 PM
So, your saying no weatherby mags? Just Kidding.

I was thinking of either a 38-55 or a 444 marlin. Both seem to run about 40,000

KCSO
02-07-2012, 01:09 PM
Prepare for a shock as right now Krag parts are worth more than a complete rifle. If all you have is a receiver you wiilll need a barrel and Numerich were out of the 139.00 specials last time I looked. A complete bolt local price here is $70 add Stock and sights and samll parts and you would be cheaper buying a badly bubbaed sporter some where. If you have to put on a barrel have someone who does KRAGS do the job so you can lap in and headspace the Krag for bearing on the safety lug.

John 242
02-07-2012, 01:49 PM
So, your saying no weatherby mags? Just Kidding.

I was thinking of either a 38-55 or a 444 marlin. Both seem to run about 40,000

Well, only if you can get a barrel chambered for the .30-378....
just kidding.;-)

x101airborne
02-07-2012, 04:30 PM
You think the 30-378 or the 338-460?

Hey, if I could get a bolt for 70.00, I would probably do that. The above link said 115.00 for a complete bolt. That is why I was hoping some of you old gunsmiths and tinkerers had parts laying in old cigar boxes that I could buy direct.

madsenshooter
02-07-2012, 05:00 PM
The late Frank DeHass said his son got the 444 to work through a Krag action with a little help from Mr. Dremel. Seems everyone and his brother is trying to restore some of the old cutdown Krags. Even a front barrel band brings near $100 now. Maybe you should consider a 9mm Medved on a Mosin action. That's a 7.62x54 necked up to 35, I think Medved is Russian for bear. In any case, I'm sure parts are cheaper and easier to come by. Biggest difference in Krag parts is that the carrier/follower for a 98 won't work in the 92(1894) or 96 models. 92 takes a long shaft magazine cutoff, and there's minor differences in the sideplates and magazine gate too.

leadman
02-07-2012, 10:31 PM
The CMP has a forum, kinda difficult to find but click on sales on the home page. The are many parts for sale there and most of the members are willing to help out with info.
Just don't look at the rifles for sale or you will become a Garand addict!

I have a good shooting old 1898 Krag sporter that I gave $300 for. As others said it might be cheaper to go this way.
If you ever get close to one of the CMP stores they are selling Krags returned from the Legion and Vets clubs. Most are in bad shape but mostly complete.

Good luck on your getting this up and firing.

uscra112
02-08-2012, 01:57 AM
I've worked 7x57R and 8x57R cartridges through the mags of mine, just as an experiment. (Obviously they don't chamber all the way, but they do feed.)

Another possibility would be a Krag wildcat, like the .35 Krag, which is so close to the .35 Remington in case capacity that you can use the data. I'm having a clapped-out Krag carbine barrel rebored by JES Reboring right now. Expect it back in just a few days. Pretty soon I'm going to do a 7x57R, too.

Gunbroker is a very good source for parts, by the way. Prices I've paid in the last years or so were well below Popperts' list prices. Sometimes you have to watch for a few weeks to get what you want.

Hasn't been mentioned yet: One thing to watch for in Krags is cracks in the bolt lug. They are a bit prone to that, so any used bolt should be inspected very carefully; magnaflux or x-ray would be a good idea.

Also occurs to me that you could build a single-shot. It was common to convert Krags for the Hornet, .22 Lovell, and .219 Zipper cartridges back in the day. Oftentimes they would trim off the magazine on the right, omit the cover plate on the left, and put it into a "normal" looking stock. Here's one of mine:

x101airborne
02-08-2012, 09:15 AM
That is a really interesting rifle. I had the idea to do that, but wasnt sure if I would be comprimising the reciever too much. Now I know. If doing a conversion to the reciever, would it be possible to do a blind magazine like a remmy 700 adl? Even if it was only able to hold a round or two, that would be enough. I really like the 35 cal conversion, also.

uscra112
02-11-2012, 03:08 PM
It seems to work, at least for the small cartridges. Accuracy of my Lovell is 2-3 m.o.a. without ever having done any load development at all. (J-words only.) I have never fired my .219 Zipper Krag.

Yes, it is possible to make a blind magazine. There's another thread around here somewhere with a drawing, even. You cut back the existing magazine well, make a flat plate that covers it, modify the stock follower assembly, and braze it to the cover plate. It gets loaded from the top, 2 rounds as I recall. It was a popular mod with hunters - that fat OEM magazine makes it very hard to carry the rifle in one hand with any comfort. This mod preserves the original style stock.

BTW the .22 conversions very often used a surplus US Govt. rimfire barrel. They were cheap back then, and they screwed right in. Groove diameter was only .222 about, which is why Sierra still makes a .223 J-word 45 grains.