PDA

View Full Version : My first S&W Model 18

Cactus Farmer
02-06-2012, 08:42 PM
I found a Model 18 at the show.......just walked up to the table........$390! Slight blue wear but tight as a vault otherwise. It has a Millet rear sight and Houge grips but is other wise all S&W. I have 2 Model 17s that are tack drivers but I always wanted a short barrel one........[smilie=w:.
Tomorrow we (me and the little woman) get to wreck todays cleaning job.

beagle
02-06-2012, 11:28 PM
Man, Texas must be full of Model 18s. I bought two when I was stationed at Ft. Hood. One fully dressed and one plain jane.

No better .22 for the ordinary shooter and woodsman and I'd not sell mine. Too bad S & W is turning out **** now.

You got a gem there./beagle

Olevern
02-09-2012, 08:46 PM
If this is your first does that mean it won't be your last? I got one last summer and haven't gotten to put it thru it's paces yet, too much working to buy even more guns. I had this model years ago and regreted trading it. Hope to get it some exercise when the weather changes.

Cactus Farmer
02-09-2012, 09:03 PM
Yep, the first one,I do have two old 17s. A 1947 and 1952 vintage. Accurate beyond your wildest dreams. The 18 was zeroed @ 150 yards or so. I screwed it down tight and backed off a few clicks. I'm now on @ 50yards and it's shoting min. of soda can. I'll try to find a good day to bear down on it and see what it will do on paper. The 17s will dispatch jack rabbits @ 100 yards with regularity.........life is good,'sept if your a rabbit on my place.
And,you bet I'd buy another for that price. It's not new but it shoots as good as new and I don't have to worry about any small scratches.;-)
BTW, it has a narrow smooth trigger. I've got some Smiths with the smooth combat (medium width) triggers but it's my first smooth narrow one. Anyone know what the deal is with the smooth narrow ones. I LIKE it. Feels as good as the combat and aught to be cheaper to buy.

cobroller
02-10-2012, 10:58 PM
I have two 18's and a 4" bbl model 17. I love to carry the 18 around the farm. I also have a K-22. None of them have been less $400. You did good.

Jack Stanley
02-11-2012, 09:10 PM
I had a model eighteen over twenty-five years ago and it's still the one I wished I had never traded out of :oops:

Enjoy your new tackhammer :bigsmyl2:

Jack

Cactus Farmer
02-13-2012, 04:01 PM
Jack,
Do I need to keep my eyes open for another one? They are around it's just that most folks want to hord them, what moi? I'd buy another just to have two but then again there is that #2 Cincinati mill.[smilie=1:
Tools are my downfall!

Jack Stanley
02-13-2012, 09:46 PM
If ya like tools then getting another rimfire will only hold up you getting the mill of your dreams . Now , if you was to find an nice five screw for a give away price it would be wise to jump on it . [smilie=l:

Jack