PDA

View Full Version : sr 4759

jthomastreadwell
03-14-2007, 09:11 AM
I read a few threads that mentiond sr 4759 and the .44 mag but no loading data. I have a few pounds and would like to burn it up. so any suggestions on a starting load? thanks for any help or thoughts.

44man
03-14-2007, 09:23 AM
Yes it will work but I think you will find it is very bulky for it's weight. I use a lot of it in other calibers and it is a fantastic powder in my 7R pistol and 45-70 revolver.
This is one powder I would never be without.
Let us know what velocity and accuracy you get if you try it. I can't find any data for it.

fourarmed
03-14-2007, 11:30 AM
Start a little below 4227 charge weights, and you should be OK.

AZ-Stew
03-15-2007, 01:11 AM
Pardon me. I've never posted a "flame" or "blast" message on this forum, but this post deserves one.

SAFETY FIRST!

There is ABSOLUTELY NO REASON to guess about proper charge weights. If you can't afford a loading manual (better, three), you have no business handloading! In this day and age, you even have the vast encyclopedia of the Internet on which to search for published data. How do you expect to come to this forum and get reliable information when it's passed on second hand? There's certainly worthwhile information here about casting bullets, but you're far better off relying on published data with regard to powder types and charge weights. Otherwise, you own all KABOOMS! and their collateral damage!

I just spent a few minutes searching the IMR and Hodgdon (who now owns the IMR label) loading data and found no listings for 4759 in the 44 Magnum. Nor did I find any in my old paper copy of Dupont's IMR powder loading guide. I didn't search all my loading manuals, but I suspect I'd find the same: No data. This is either due to the powder's bulkiness making it impossible to generate "Magnum" loads (and we all know that NO one wants to down-load the 44 Magnum) or that the maximum amount of this bulky powder that can be stuffed in the case will produce such low velocities with jacketed bullets (and we all know that NO one shoots cast in the 44 Magnum) that sticking a bullet in the bore is a distinct possibility. Point is, the manufacturer found this powder unsuitable for this cartridge for one reason or another. Therefore, no published data. If I were you, I'd take a hint from that.

If you're determined to use 4759 in the 44 Magnum, why not give Hodgdon tech support a call and see if they can give you any insight. To do otherwise would be neglegent. At least that's the way I'd see it if I was on a civil suit jury deciding a KABOOM! case where someone was hurt under these circumstances.

Regards,

Stew

44man
03-15-2007, 09:06 AM
Thats why I didn't try to guess a load! He has to find info first and I am sure someone here has used it at some time. That powder doesn't scare me much in the .44 because I doubt you can stuff enough in the case to get high pressures. A case full to the base of a boolit only weighs 15 to 18 gr's.
When I said I could not find any data, thats a clue he has to keep looking. I should have been more clear that he has to wait for someone with the experience with it.
I also mentioned that the powder works so good in other calibers that I would not be without it. My meaning was that he should not waste it for something it is not as suitable for but to hang onto it. Sometimes the age creeps in and I don't say it right.
There are many here that have used 5744 in the .44, so there must be someone that has used 4759 although neither is suitable.
How about someone with Quick load info?
I would still not waste the powder just to use it up.
Stew, I am glad you said it like it is so I could explain better.

woody1
03-15-2007, 10:19 AM
Data for 4759 in the 44 Mag. (Rifle) from Dupont ca. 1980:
240 grain jacketed 21.0 grains (compressed load) 1630 fps 38,500 cup
Start low, work up.
Regards, Woody

Mugs
03-15-2007, 10:26 AM
Speer manual #11 shows 21.0 grs. for 1236 fps. 23.0 grs. for 1345 fps. with 240 gr. bullet.
Mugs

44man
03-15-2007, 02:14 PM
1630 sounds way too high but the other info sounds great. I just might have to try it.

jthomastreadwell
03-15-2007, 02:46 PM
stew..............I enjoy coming to this forum. and i did search for the loading data . as you did with no succes.I use Sr 4759 for other things too.and i know thers lots more applications than you and I know of. thats why I came here .as you will see. theres a vast amount knowledge here stew........READ AND LEARN. thank you guys for the info.

fourarmed
03-15-2007, 03:57 PM
SR-4759 is too often thought of as only a powder for reduced CB loads in large-capacity rifle cartridges. In fact, it is one of the most useful powders for handgun silhouette cartridges, where consistency at lower velocities may be desired. One poster mentioned the 7R cartridge, which is a classic example. It is a necked-down .30-30 case, and is much overbore in a 10" barrell. 18 grains of 4759 with a 140 gr. bullet gives excellent accuracy at tolerable recoil levels. Likewise for the various chamberings based on the .357 max and .221 and .223 cases. Here, you get lower velocity and recoil, yet you have the accuracy advantage of a full case.

44man
03-15-2007, 06:44 PM
Some powders are more versitile then even the makers let on. I have an MOA 7BR that I don't use for silhouette any more. It shoots the 154 to 175 gr bullets so good I have shot several 3/8" 100 yd groups with them. But I want to now use it for deer with the 120 gr bullet. They just sprayed the target. Nothing I would do would make them worth a darn. I have Varget so I called Hodgden and they told me it would not work. I said they must be wrong so I worked up loads. It is fantastic with the 120 gr and velocity is still high. It burns clean with no pressure signs at all. This is the only powder that I found that will shoot the light bullet. It is now my deer load for that pistol.
You will not find a load for this powder anywhere for the 7BR.
Three powders I will never be without; Varget, 296 and 4759, the best of the best! By the way, Varget is THE powder for the 6.5X55.

RayinNH
03-15-2007, 08:17 PM
jthomas, not what you asked for, but the Lyman 3rd edition "Cast Bullet Handbook has SR4759 data for the .44 Special. You could always use the top end load as a starting point and work up from there...Ray

AZ-Stew
03-16-2007, 05:59 AM
jthomastreadwell

Maybe I came down a little hard, but whenever I see a post like this it really chaps my hide. Especially when the poster is new to ths forum. No telling how much experience he has, and if the posting isn't explicit about experience, past research, research materials on hand, etc., it really raises a red flag.

As I said in my earlier post, I didn't spend the time to leaf through the two dozen or so loading manuals I have. Others checked their copies and found some data. I only looked in the most obvious places. If I'd been obsessed with using this powder, I might have taken the time to dig a bit deeper. When I didn't find the info where I thought it most likely to be listed, I became concerned for your safety.

And to carry my appology a bit further, after reading some of the posts after mine, I went back and re-investigated the IMR Powders web site and found this: http://www.imrpowder.com/data/rifle/44remmag.php
Just as woody1 and mugs reported, there is the 21.0 grain load listed in the rifle section of the IMR data. My fault for only looking under the handgun section. There you go. Published data.

P.S. Did you contact Hodgdon? If so, what did they have to say?

Regards,

Stew