PDA

View Full Version : Rossi 92 brass ejection problem

makicjf
02-06-2012, 02:46 PM
My boys rossi 92 has a preference (actually its strong enough to be a prejudice) for starline brass: starline is the only brass it ejects every time. I have cleaned the bolt face, under the "grabber" and the recess umpteen times. If I mix brass it will not eject 2 or 3 out of ten.
It slugs almost .452 and shoots unsized (roughly .454) best so I have to segregate rounds for it anyway. It would be nice if someone 1) had an idea why it leaves some brass in the chamber and 2) why it never fails to extract and fling starline. I'd like to be able to mix brass.
Thanks,
Jason

JayinAZ
02-06-2012, 02:55 PM
Just a guess, but perhaps there is a burr on the extractor, and the Starline rims are just a bit thinner.

Boerrancher
02-06-2012, 03:53 PM
Couple of questions and some possible solutions.

First off did you buy the gun new or used and did it just start this or has it been doing it since you got it?

You obviously have an extractor problem. The question is how is the best way to fix it? If it were mine I would closely examine both the brass that it extracts and especially those that it does not. You can tell by the scratch on the brass where the extractor slipped off, how deep it is going over the rim of the case. Once you discover this then you need to examine the extractor while it is on the rifle. If it is a new rifle and has been doing this since you got it, there is a chance that there is either dirt or a bur under the extractor not letting it drop down for enough. You can check this by examining the extractor in relationship to the bolt. If the body of the extractor is not resting on the bolt body there is something holding it up. If it is resting on the bolt body there is a chance that the extractor claw was some how damaged. If the extractor body is resting on the bolt body, there is two things you can do. The first is remove and replace the extractor, and second is remove the extractor and grind the body of it a few thousandths to let the claw drop deeper onto the brass rim. I am betting that the extractor claw is broken, and the extractor needs replaced. To get a replacement extractor go to Numeric Arms/Gunparts Corp. and order one, they are not that expensive. If you have any mechanical skills it is not difficult to disassemble the M92 and replace the extractor. If you are worried about it take it to your local gun smith, and he will do it in about 30 min or less.

Best wishes,

Joe

runfiverun
02-06-2012, 05:49 PM
you do know different brands of brass have different internal dimensions right.
i have seen over 50 fps change in velocity just by using a different brand of brass in the 45 colt.
in fact from using magtech,rem,win,and starline i saw 75 fps differnce from lowest to highest with 19.2 grs of 2400 and the 452664 bullet at 452 through my two 24" Bbl'd rossi's.

makicjf
02-06-2012, 05:50 PM
I purchased it new last June, and its always been a bit finnicky about extraction. It has, however, worsened. It just visibly scratches the unextracted brass. I am not certain in which plain the claw needs to sit flush. It protrudes about an 1/8 to 3/16 in front of the bolt on the action surface of the bolt and the proximal, top surface is flush to just recessed. I am average at mechanical stuff, but would probobly take it to a smith. I have a propensity for losing little parts... though if I could figure out how to take it apart i could more than likley get it back together. though when I found a peice later it would be vital to safe operation! I'll stop by the shop tonigt and see what they think.
Thanks for the info guys.
Jason

runfiverun
02-06-2012, 10:20 PM
open the bolt and knock out the pin holding the extractor. airc theres a spring in there somewhere.
they should lie flat along the whole length of the bolt.
then slip over the rim as the bolt is closed.
i had to pull one from a 94 and bend it down in the front, then do a little filing to get it to fit in the notch better.

Boerrancher
02-06-2012, 10:23 PM
Look at the bolt face where the extractor claw extends out of the bolt face. On the face of the bolt it should sit in the very bottom of the slot in the top of the bolt. There should be no gap. If there is a gap disassemble the gun, and removing the bolt. I am not sure if the butt stock has to come off or not, it has been too long since I took mine apart but I remember it was a very simple design and easy to disassemble and reassemble, so keep in mind these instructions are very general and may not exactly match the gun in detail. Once you get the bolt out there should be a pin that holds the extractor on, be careful when removing it, because It could hold not only the extractor in but also the firing pin. Remove the extractor and clean the grove that it sits in really well. If you have a dremmal tool remove a few thousandths from the bottom of the extractor from the claw to the retaining pin hole. Do no go past where the retaining pin goes and do not grind on the claw as it is too short to do it's job as it is. This should lower the claw on the extractor by how ever much material you removed. If this does not solve your problem you can try to take it apart again and remove more material in the same place. If you remove a bit to much material you can possibly shim the extractor on the bottom behind the retaining pin to push the extractor claw deeper, or your other option is just replace the extractor. I would first though, before I did anything call Rossi and tell them your problems. I have heard their customer service is pretty good though I have never personally used it. They may tell you to send it back, or tell you where to get it fixed free of charge as it seems to be a factory defect.

Best wishes,

Joe

runfiverun
02-07-2012, 01:51 AM
you do have to pull the buttstock.
the trigger spring is under the tang.

eljefe
02-07-2012, 08:45 AM
I sold one that had extraction problems, it was
new. I contacted Rossi customer service, and
they sent a call tag to get the rifle back.

Once it came back, the note said that the extractor
was out of spec, and was replaced. The gun shoots
fine now and it didn't cost me or my customer anything.
They had the rifle for about 4 weeks.