PDA

View Full Version : Problem priming LC brass for 38 spl

Jal5
02-05-2012, 11:16 PM
I have a bunch of these LC brass either year 77 0r 78 that I cannot prime with the Lee priming tool. The primer pocket seems too small for a normal CCI500?
What do you do with these? I noticed on depriming them that some of the old primers seemed to hang up in the pocket and I had to pull them out with a pair of plyers. Never saw that before. Are these milsurp rounds or something else?
Joe

MtGun44
02-05-2012, 11:28 PM
Crimped in primers. You will have to cut out or swage back the primer crimp. This is
required in most military ammunition. You can cut with a Hornady or similar chamfer tool,
or use a swager like the RCBS primer pocket swaging tool.

Bill

Sonnypie
02-05-2012, 11:28 PM
Much to the gasp of many, I still use the same primer pocket reamer Dad and I began with.
Because it works.
Everybody wants to stampede after this new method, or that new swaging die to reform their primer pockets away from crimped in Military specs.
But I just chuck up that sweet old reamer and in seconds apiece, I have great working primer pockets.

http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa382/Sonnypie/Acc-u-ream2.jpg

http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa382/Sonnypie/Acc-u-ream3.jpg

http://i1195.photobucket.com/albums/aa382/Sonnypie/Acc_u_ream1.jpg

I'm not sure we got our money's worth though.
After all, it did cost $3.95 and is still going fine.

beagle
02-06-2012, 12:57 AM
Some of the old WCC and FC military .38 Special cases were like that and a one time swaging will cure the problem really quick.

I can't for the life of me figure why they put a primer pocket crimp on a case that could only be shot in a revolver.

The added expense of the tooling for this operation tells me that it was a government cost plus requirement./beagle

Sonnypie
02-06-2012, 02:21 AM
Beagle,
That's Government Intelligence.
No more need be said.... :lol:

Jal5
02-06-2012, 07:53 AM
Thanks guys that explains it exactly. I saw a YOutube video last night too a guy used a simple 30 deg. countersink bit I may try that instead of buying another die. I do like that $3.95 tool though Sonny! Joe

WRideout
02-06-2012, 08:14 AM
Recently I was trying to prime some surplus 30-06 cases, and couldn't get the Federal LR primers in with my Lee tool. I used the case mouth chamfering tool to remove the crimp but the pockets were still tight. I may need to try swaging or reaming; I've got a lifetime supply of the cases.

Wayne

Jal5
02-06-2012, 02:47 PM
Check out YouTube, the guy is reaming the primer pockets of 223 milsurp brass using the counterbore bit, looks pretty easy. I have the Lyman Universal case cutter tool and I may try that on some of these using the chamfering bit that comes with that setup. Joe

Jal5
02-06-2012, 09:31 PM
I tried to ream them using both the Lyman Universal and the Lee hand tool. Each worked ok so I think the problem is resolved. Thanks everyone!

MtGun44
02-07-2012, 09:17 PM
We were all newbies once! Glad to help.

Bill

mooman76
02-08-2012, 12:10 AM
I just us a drill bit. Use one larger than the whole just to take the crimp out and then ream to hole with a primer whole uniformer to smooth the hole out. It doesn't take much and I used a variable speed rechargeable drill because you don't need or want allot of power.

1hole
02-08-2012, 01:36 PM
I've always suspected that most of the Lee AutoPrimes so many people have broken was from trying to prime GI ammo before the crimp was properly removed.

I prefer to use Lyman's pocket reamer chucked in a battery drill. Drill bits, counter sinks, etc, often remove too much metal from around the pocket hole and that increases the potential for a primer blow out.

beagle
02-08-2012, 01:39 PM
Love that M107 avatar./beagle

Recently I was trying to prime some surplus 30-06 cases, and couldn't get the Federal LR primers in with my Lee tool. I used the case mouth chamfering tool to remove the crimp but the pockets were still tight. I may need to try swaging or reaming; I've got a lifetime supply of the cases.

Wayne

beagle
02-08-2012, 01:42 PM
Be careful with those countersinks. Some of them remove a lot of metal. Much better to swage the crimp out into a usable form rather than remove too much. But, if that's all you have go for it. Better than wrestling with the crimps./beagle

Reload3006
02-08-2012, 01:45 PM
+1 with Beagle Better to swage the pocket ... but I have cut the crimp off of several with a pocket knife. (trust me not the best approach) but it worked. the reamer would be effective too.

303british.com
02-08-2012, 01:46 PM
Some of the old WCC and FC military .38 Special cases were like that and a one time swaging will cure the problem really quick.

I can't for the life of me figure why they put a primer pocket crimp on a case that could only be shot in a revolver.

The added expense of the tooling for this operation tells me that it was a government cost plus requirement./beagle

Hi. A crimp and primer seal used to be the military standard for keeping things water tight, for long term storage and proper functioning after rough handling. I say "used to" because I've noticed that military 5.56 cases don't have crimped primers. I've been out of the military for a number of years and they probably changed the way they do business.

Mk42gunner
02-09-2012, 10:45 AM
A Primer pocket swager is usally the way to go, but some times you need to ream the whole pocket as well.

I have about five gallons of LC-64 7.62 brass that has a tight spot once the primer is about halfway in. I really need to get a reamer for that particular lot of brass.

Robert

Jal5
02-09-2012, 01:31 PM
so far it is working to just chuck the case into my battery operated drill and pass the Lee deburring tool on the primer pocket. Fast and easy.

WRideout
02-11-2012, 01:03 PM
Love that M107 avatar./beagle

Meaning no disrespect, but it is a Howitzer, heavy, self-propelled, M110. The previous A1 version had the short tube; looked like a carbine. They were all traded in on missile launchers. I had a short stint with those, too.

Wayne