PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 45 & Gas Checks

Jason30-30
02-05-2012, 05:01 PM
I was not sure if the lyman 45 could be used to seat gas check onto the shank. I visited lymans website and they said it COULD NOT be done. I would imagine it could seat them just not crimp them right?

jerryv
02-05-2012, 07:53 PM
I find the answer you got from Lyman interesting. When I bought my 45 in the mid 1960's it was about the only lubericator readily available and Lyman sold gascheck. They did not say anything about seating them on the 45. I wonder what has changed. Mine seated gaschecks then and it still does.

Mk42gunner
02-05-2012, 10:20 PM
I've got an RCBS lubeamatic not a Lyman, but it uses the same dies. Mine seats and crimps gas checks just fine. The gas check crimps as the boolit is pressed into the die.

Lyman does sell a gas check seater, which I believe goes between the die ands the ejector mechanism to provide a solid surface for the gas check to stop against when the boolit is pressed into it. A flat piece of metal across the top of the die retaining nut will do also, if the g/c doesn't seat normally while running the boolit into the die. I don't do that unless I have to, it means adding a few more steps to the lube/sizing process.

Back when Lyman was making the 45 they also made gas checks that were a slip fit (non crimping), The later Lyman g/c were made by Hornady, and packaged as Lymans.

Robert

02-06-2012, 12:02 AM
I must be doing something wrong, because my 45 crimps gas checks same-same my 4500.

Recluse
02-06-2012, 04:57 AM
News to me and my Lyman 45's. Like 462, guess I've been doing it wrong for all these years.

Me thinks Lyman simply wants to sell you another new tool or two.

:coffee: