PDA

View Full Version : AR in .222 Remington for coyotes?

Johnny_Cyclone
02-05-2012, 04:51 PM
I've been wanting to build an AR in .222 Remington for coyotes for a while. So I'm hoping I can get some suggestions, from our vastly more knowledgeable than I members, on where to get it from.

I'm wanting this first rig to be a HBAR profile 20" free float flat top. I'm not shooting up a prairie dog town. Just a quick couple shots at some called coyotes, and maybe some Sunday go to meeting slow fire 200 yard target work ...

I just can't help thinking a 1:14 twist triple-duce would be the ticket for a cast only AR. Maybe I'm wrong on the twist, but I'm dead set on the .222...because that's what I want.

Anyone have barrel recommendations?

Wanting it to run well with some of some of our 55gr-70gr group buy boolits.

Thanks,

cdet69
02-05-2012, 05:17 PM
1:14 twist is the best for a 22 Remington. All my bolt actcions have this twist. As for cast I do not know.

sffar
02-05-2012, 05:18 PM
Don't know where to find a barrel, exactly, but I read once .222 AR's are popular in France where owning firearms chambering military cartridges is restricted. Maybe find a fine, French barrel for that AR. Magnifique!
I always liked the idea, as I like the .222.

Larry Gibson
02-05-2012, 05:52 PM
+another on the 14" twist for the 222 AR. A 55-60 gr cast at 2200 - 2400+ fps will do the trick on coyotes to 200 yards for sure.

Larry Gibson

x101airborne
02-05-2012, 06:11 PM
Anyone with some decent lathe experience can make your barrel. All the parts are the same for all other parts of the upper. You will need: Someone willing to do your machining, a bull barrel of your preferred twist, a barrel extension, a blank upper reciever of your choosing, bolt and carrier assembly, gas tube, gas block, handguards and attachments.
The build for the upper is the same as any. Since you are wanting a custom twist and chambering, just get someone to machine contour the barrel and thread it for the barrel extension. The extension is what has the barrel indexing stud on it. Once torqued, it is on there good. Secure the barrel in a drill press and triple measure the distance for the desired gas port length. Drill the appropriate hole. Index the gas block over the gas port and mark the barrel with a hardened punch for the gas block retaining pin. Remove the block and if a mill is not available, you can use a round punch to cut the slot in the barrel for the pin to hold the gas block on. After that, the upper is built just the same as any other. Really not that big a deal.

Johnny_Cyclone
02-05-2012, 09:08 PM
So who's barrel blanks and machine work do you folks recommend.

I was kind'a hoping for a one stop shop recommendation.

A finish chambered, 1:14 Barrel, with barrel extension, matching bolt, and a rifle length gas port location. In an HBAR profile... Threading if there is any cash left over.

hope that helps, as I'd like to place an order call with someone by the end of the week.

quick update:

Found this:
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=27011/avs%7CManufacturer_1=SHILEN/Product/AR-15-M16-SERVICE-RIFLE-BARREL-BLANK
SHILEN: Heavy Varmint - 24” (61cm) long. .940” O.D. at gas block, .920” O.D. at muzzle. 1-14” twist, 6 groove rifling. Unchambered. Includes M4 barrel extension with integral feed ramp barrel extension pin not included. Gunsmith fitting required

I think my local smith and machinist could do something with this as in thinning an' shortening the bull barrel, along with chambering it for .222, but its out of stock...Grrrr.

or is there some better way?

Hamish
02-05-2012, 09:22 PM
In case you get frustrated and allow a little leeway in your parameters:

http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/productdetail.aspx?id=GM-M15

Historical:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/924691433/Guns/Rifles/Colt-Military-Tactical-Rifles/Original_AR_15_222_Re.htm

One stop shopping:

http://sskindustries.com/ar-15

x101airborne
02-05-2012, 09:24 PM
I dont KNOW of a better way to get what you want. I wish I had my manufacturing licenses in and my shop built. One day you will be able to call me and I can make it happen.

Johnny_Cyclone
02-05-2012, 09:25 PM
Crud.... I didn't read it close enough. That particular SHILEN barrel combo has been Discontinued by Brownells.

That 1:12 in .223 looks tempting, but my heart is set on the .222.
That's what I'm set up for as it is, and I like it that way. ;)

Historical:
To rich for my blood :)

One stop shopping:
Not really wanting to buy a whole upper. I did see they had one available in .222 Magnum...sweet, but not what I'm after right now.

x101airborne,

That would be nice. I'd rather buy from a fellow Boolit caster who understands, than try to explain when they say "you wanna do what!, shoot cast in an AR!"

Johnny_Cyclone
02-05-2012, 10:23 PM
Just sent an email off to Green Mountain Barrels to see if they would sell me one of those A1 1:12 barrels, but chambered for .222 Rem. or unchambered so I can have it done here.

http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/product...aspx?id=GM-M15

A little lighter than what I had envisioned, but the price looks good. It might be a little snappier handling when more than one coyote comes rushing in.

Maybe I'll hear back from them Monday.

gzig5
02-06-2012, 01:30 AM
Try calling White Oak Precision / White Oak Armory. John Hollinger builds some of the best XTC competition AR's out there and also builds uppers/barrels for varmint guns. Good folks to work with. He carry's 12" twist .224 barrels for his varmint uppers but might have a .222 reamer and access to a 14" twist if that is what you want. Not everything he does is on the website so give them a call and tell them what you are looking for.

Johnny_Cyclone
02-06-2012, 06:11 PM
gzig5,

I sent off an email last night to White Oak Precision / White Oak Armory and received this reply today:

The barrel you describe is not part of our standard offering and due to our workload we are unable to do custom work at this time.

Thank you for your interest in White Oak Armament.

Sincerely,

Jane Grogg

White Oak Armament

www.whiteoakarmament.com

309-376-2288

I'm still waiting on a reply from Green Mountain.

Johnny_Cyclone
02-12-2012, 03:57 PM
Reading more it looks like a 20" with a Mid-Length gas port is the way to go for a cast boolit shooting AR in .222 Remington.

Hummm..:coffeecom ..stock dia. port with extended dwell time... leaves room to enlarge port for more gas or cut back barrel to shorten dwell if... if..

Combat Diver
02-19-2012, 10:45 PM
I remember when I was in Germany in the late 80s seeing Colt SP1s in .222 Rem. E.R. Shaw champers and reams .222 Rem and 1:14.

CD

303Guy
02-20-2012, 12:46 AM
The 222 Rem doesn't give up much to a 223. That long neck appeals to me and I'm also thinking of building one for my great nephew but in single shot or perhaps on a Lee Enfield action and maybe in the rimmed version. And of course, specifically for cast. I happen to have a 1-in-14 .223 barrel (off a TOZ 22).

I wonder how fast one could run a 1-in-16 barrel with cast and what weight? (I have two).

leadman
02-20-2012, 11:38 AM
303Guy, I have a 22LR rebarreled to 22 K-Hornet. I believe T/C used 1 16 twist.

I have pushed the Lyman 44gr RN to 2,800 fps and had decent accuracy and no leading. I have shot it faster but there is no accuracy and after a couple of shots the barrel needs to be brushed.

huntinmo
02-21-2012, 01:18 PM
Reading more it looks like a 20" with a Mid-Length gas port is the way to go for a cast boolit shooting AR in .222 Remington.

Hummm..:coffeecom ..stock dia. port with extended dwell time... leaves room to enlarge port for more gas or cut back barrel to shorten dwell if... if..

Are you having any luck with finding a barrel? This is a very interesting project, but I do not know much about AR barrels or what is available. I do see 22lr barrels in the twist rate that you are looking for. It might be possible to rechamber to 222 Rem and have a gas port cut if you could find someone to do that work, but I do not know if that is a good solution. Just wondering if you have made any progress.

sffar
02-23-2012, 09:19 PM
Here Green Mountain sells a 1:14 twist blanks advertised for .22 mag that look like they could work.
http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/catalog.aspx?catid=25inchroundblanks
Sam

Johnny_Cyclone
02-23-2012, 09:38 PM
I managed to get the last Shelin 1:14 twist, 24", Unchambered, AR Varmint Barrel Brownell's had in stock. Discontinued didn't mean completly out :grin:

Another phone call vs web page dramas..

Anyhow, I'm just waiting on my PTG floating pilot reamer and go-gauge.

I think I'm just going to leave it profiled as is for now. See how it shoots then decide if I still want to trim it up.

I was almost to the point of buying one of those 389.00 W-world Remington 700's in .223 with the 1:12 twist. Then having the barrel set back three turns (if possible) and rechambering it to .222.

But, that didn't happen. Still sounds good though.

Right now I'm in wait mode. I'll post more as it advances along.

Later,

sffar
02-23-2012, 09:49 PM
Excellent! Pays to call and find things out for sure.
This guy may also have them, for what it's worth . .
http://ar15barrels.com/faq.shtml
Sam