PDA

View Full Version : Converting highway patrolman to 44 special

Love Life
02-05-2012, 03:37 PM
Done.

mellonhead
02-05-2012, 03:53 PM
Your current cylinder has plenty of meat to be rechambered to 44 special. You could have the current barrel rebored to 44 also. That way no parts need fitting. Just taken off and the work done.

Toby

Kraschenbirn
02-05-2012, 04:02 PM
Don't remember much in the way of details, but George Nonte (back in the early '70s) wrote a couple of articles for one of the shooting rags on converting N-frame S&Ws to .44 Spl and .45 LC. As I recall, he used the original cylinders, rebored, with replacement barrels. And, just FYI, all the N-frames use the same diameter cylinders, regardless of caliber, but I believe that, originally, the 'magnum' cylinders may have been heat-treated by a different process than the 'standard' calibers.

Hope this helps.

Bill

mellonhead
02-05-2012, 04:18 PM
Just about any good pistolsmith can perform the work. Bowen, Clements, Stroh are just a few that come to mind.

Toby

stubshaft
02-05-2012, 04:42 PM
What about making a 357/44BD?

Larry Gibson
02-05-2012, 04:49 PM
I had a 4" M28 converted to 44 SPL back in the mid '70s. The cylinder was rechambered and the barrel bored out relined. Sorry, I do not remember who did the work (done in the mid west). It was an excellent carry revolver and I liked it a lot, even managed a nice mule deer buck with it (429421 over 16.5 gr 2400 in modern cases for 1050 fps). Then I got a M29 and let a "friend" talk me out of the converted M28 because I "didn't need it any more". That was a mistake I've regretted to this day..............

Larry Gibson

Bret4207
02-05-2012, 05:08 PM
You'll miss the 28!

sagamore-one
02-05-2012, 05:28 PM
Contact Andy Horvath / Diagonal Road Gun Shop.

Piedmont
02-05-2012, 05:56 PM
You would be ahead to sell the M28 and buy a .44 spl Smith. It is cheaper. Also, the M28 is a low luster gun and the M24 barrels are high luster so there is some additional cost matching them up.

If you were to go ahead with the conversion and have an old pinned .44 barrel and a newer non-pinned frame, have you gunsmith drill the new frame for a pin. It will look classier.

GLL
02-05-2012, 06:41 PM
Buy a S&W 24-3 or 624 !

Jerry

http://www.fototime.com/11340082315E6D3/orig.jpg

GLL
02-05-2012, 07:44 PM
The 624 spends a lot of time out east of Death Valley, the Nopah Range, and off into southern Nevada ! :)
It makes a perfect field gun for those areas !

Jerry

9.3X62AL
02-05-2012, 11:53 PM
I would be reluctant to part with ANY N-frame S&W these days. Better to set aside money over time and buy what you want. Late-series 24s and 624s are around, and not all of them have 4-figure asking prices. I'm learning with a couple other projects that gunsmithing is NOT a cost-effective way to arrive at a given example. A Model 29 down-loaded to 44 Special ballistics isn't a bad plan at all. I do that all the time with my Redhawk, though I also have a 624 x 6.5" in the safe. And now a WinOku 92 levergun. 44 Special brass isn't especially hard to find, but is nowhere near as widespread as 44 Magnum brass.

Just a few ideas to chew on before you sell off a fine revo or submit it for rework.

stubshaft
02-06-2012, 01:05 AM
What is that?

The 357 Bain & Davis was a bottleneck created by necking down the .44 mag to 357. The only mod was recutting the chambers.

StrawHat
02-06-2012, 06:35 AM
I reworked a M28 to accept the 45 ACP cartridge. I did this in the late 70s, long before S&W offered the ACP in the Mountain Revolver package. I wanted a skinny barreled 4" ACP revovler and could not afford the older collectors pieces. I have never regretted what I did and still use the revolver as my EDC. Would I do it again? Only if the revovler I wanted was not available as a factory piece. Hmmm, a new 32 WCF built on the K frame with target sights and a short action...

NSP64
02-06-2012, 11:50 AM
Is that the same one you have in S&S section?

Ed K
02-06-2012, 03:39 PM
A 44 mag mountain gun is a very good plan. I know it is not a 44spec and does not have the mystique. However it seems to me that with most everyone looking to hotrod their 44 spec much of the time, just starting out with a mag to begin with is a reasonable approach.

Alan
02-06-2012, 04:08 PM
I have a K-32-20, and no it is not for sale. 8) A friend converted it back in the 70's. Would cost a fortune now, as the cylinder would have to be fabricated from scratch, I think.

Alan
02-06-2012, 04:08 PM
And I would not touch the M28 - just get a 29 MG and shoot specials out of it.

gunfan
02-06-2012, 04:57 PM
And I would not touch the M28 - just get a 29 MG and shoot specials out of it.

I agree. there's no sense in altering that Model 28. There are so many Model 29 revolvers around it is silly to ruin such a fine, old revolver.

JMHO,

Scott

Piedmont
02-06-2012, 05:26 PM
This looks like the perfect choice for me.

3 inch barrel-Great backpacking size
steel frame- Helps with recoil
adjustable sights- Yippee
Price- :-(

What do you all think?

I think that isn't a 3" barrel.

GLL
02-06-2012, 10:39 PM
LL:

I think the 3" barrel got stretched an extra inch ! :)

Jerry

rockrat
02-07-2012, 12:19 AM
I have a 357/44 B&D cylinder and dies, thought about making a 38-40. PM me if you are interested.
Ended up with a Buckeye 38-40/10mm

GLL
02-07-2012, 01:26 AM
I think you would prefer the older versions ! :)

Jerry

629-3
http://www.fototime.com/8276251088D8D63/standard.jpg

StrawHat
02-07-2012, 08:16 AM
I have a K-32-20, and no it is not for sale. 8) A friend converted it back in the 70's. Would cost a fortune now, as the cylinder would have to be fabricated from scratch, I think.

I would think the 22 LR cylinder would be a suitable "blank" Not sure if the 38 Special cylinder could be lined. The barrel can be lined, no problem but the cylinder might be a bit thin.

All this just to get adjustable sights on a 32 WCF!!

[Sorry for the thread drift, we now return to our regularly scheduled thread.]

Alan
02-07-2012, 09:11 AM
I would think the 22 LR cylinder would be a suitable "blank" Not sure if the 38 Special cylinder could be lined. The barrel can be lined, no problem but the cylinder might be a bit thin.

All this just to get adjustable sights on a 32 WCF!!

[Sorry for the thread drift, we now return to our regularly scheduled thread.]

I checked around, as I was thinking of getting another cylinder for .32 Mag, or maybe .327. .22LR cylinders have dried up. If you find one they are VERY expensive. The barrel on this one has been re-lined.

Alan

DaveCampbell
02-07-2012, 09:59 AM
Like Mr. Gibson, I had a M28 converted in the mid-'70s to .44 Specal. I was fortunate to acquire an original, raw (not polished or blued) 1950 Target barrel in .44 Special from Bob Sconce of MMC fame before he passed away. A SoCal pistolsmith named Tim LaFrance did the conversion, but to the best of my knowledge he no longer is doing that kind of work.

I had him trim the barrel to 5 inches. One glitch we ran into was that S&W had begun to crush the threads in the frame when fitting barrels. This meant that you could not change the barrel. Tim was able to convince Smith to replace the frame without fitting a barrel. It turned out to be one of the most accurate revolvers I own. Still have it.

Since then I have acquired several more revolvers in the perfect caliber, including a 3 1/2-inch and 4-inch M24s. Those looking for an original S&W .44 Special have a much better chance of success today than we did back in the '70s. They may not be as available as potato chips, but with patience you can find one at a more-or-less reasonable price.

Beware, however, once you buy one and shoot and carry it for a while, you'll find yourself compelled to get more of them. Thet are beautiful instruments!

Best,

Dave

GLL
02-07-2012, 12:40 PM
LL:

You should be able to find what you are looking for at the Reno Show ! You are lucky it is so close to your home.

Here is another one you might consider ! It is a little heavier which would be good for .44Mag ! My old wrist can no longer take these short barrel Magnum revolvers shooting full-house rounds !

Jerry

29-5
http://www.fototime.com/26F05246D45397A/standard.jpg

exile
02-08-2012, 06:30 PM
I have a new (lock) model 629 Mountain Gun. It has never had anything but .44 Specials run through it. That seems to make more sense to me, especially since in the future .44 Special brass may be hard to find. (I just read John Wesley Rawles book "Patriots", so I am a little paranoid.)

This gun has only had 500 rounds or so through it, but I like it. By the way, that three inch .44 magnum with a non-fluted cylinder is a great looking gun.

If I had an older model N-frame I would keep it. Seems like those are hard to find.

Good luck with your decision.

exile

revolvergeek
02-09-2012, 07:04 PM

Actually, Hamilton Bowen makes cylinder and extractor blanks just for exactly this sort of conversion and sell them for $300 (plus boring them out, finishing, etc). http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/parts_store/cylinders.html

I am sorely tempted to use one to make a Model 15 in .32 Mag one of these days.... :Fire:

I wanted a lighter .44 and ended up putting a factory 3" skinny .44 mag barrel on a 6" 29 that I picked up cheap.
http://www.fototime.com/8C33BD940511C7F/standard.jpg

Thin Man
02-10-2012, 10:11 AM
I had the 44 Special fever in the 1970's like many others, at a time when they were very popular but available only if you had the resources to afford them. I wasn't in that category. My plan was to have a Special built to fit my interests.

I had a like new M28 at that time as the foundation. Being recently made, and chambered for 357 Magnum, I considered it would be heat treated and would hold stronger pressures than I would ever attempt to fire in it. I was at a local gun show and found one vendor with two (2) factory original, never installed S&W 44 Special barrels, both 6 1/2", blue, target front sight, wrapped in the moisture defeating paper. His asking price was "$35 for one, or the pair for $60." I immediately bought both. (At the following show 6 months later he was present, saw me and asked to buy one or both back. Told him one was being installed, the other was planned.)

Ron Power reamed the cylinder chambers and installed the barrel. The original 357 chambers had counter-sinks for the case rims, so the Special also has these to accomplish correct headspace. I installed a rear sight from a M27 (grooved and cross-grooved), polished the face of the trigger to a smooth profile, installed a pair of genuine ivory Magna grips and a Tyler t-grip to fit my hand.

There is a lot of satisfaction in carrying a plan to its conclusion. This firearm is what I wanted, and does what I have asked. It shoots better groups than I can. It responds well with boolits from 160 grain WC's (an older Lee pattern) up to 245 SWC styles. The gloss blue of the barrel contrasts slightly with the duller finish found on the 28, but it carries correct "44 SPL" rollmarks. It is a genuine pleasure to take along for travels in the woods. It is a good friend. It is not for sale, nor is the second barrel that is waiting for some other project yet to be determined.

Thin Man

Four Fingers of Death
02-10-2012, 10:30 AM
A 44 Special S&W would be a neat gun, but like most here said, just buying a 44Mag would be as easy as.

My friend at the range has a beautiful old Highway Patrolman. He is well into his 70s and doesn't do very well with it anymore. The last thing in the world I need is another S&W revolver, but I have never owned an N Frame and I really like owning guns that I know the history of. I have told him that if he ever wants to sell it, I will meet any reasonable offer (I also told him he could shoot it anytime he wants).

A nice 44Mag N frame would be good company for my old 44Mag SB Hawk that also belonged to a good friend.

David LaPell
02-10-2012, 11:57 AM
I would get ahold of Bowen arms, I have had work done for me by Hamilton and his staff and they do top notch work. With that being said, I would rather try and find a 4-inch 24 or even a pre-24 because you are going to be spending some money on the conversion. They turn up from time to time. I have had both a 24-3 and a 624 and both were excellent shooters. Don't be afraid to look into the Ruger .44 Special Flat tops either.

canyon-ghost
02-10-2012, 12:13 PM
Don't be afraid to look into the Ruger .44 Special Flat tops either.

Although single action, the Rugers are nice. Only revolver that I've owned that had NO issues whatsoever! They are made right, right out of the box!

I've shot mine to 15 yards and now, to 50 meters. Not lacking in accuracy at all !!

<< That avatar is this range rat's 44 flattop with lead bullets.

PS: I own a S&W 19-3, I'm prouder of the Ruger in 44 Special, not magnum. Also own a 41 magnum Blackhawk.

Four Fingers of Death
02-10-2012, 12:15 PM
A conversion to 45Colt would be nice as well. Nothing as grand as throwing those big babys into the chamber, makes a real special sound! Similar sound to 12Ga shotshells being dropped into a Side by Side. Mighty gratifying!

MT Gianni
02-10-2012, 12:18 PM
45 Colt would be a great conversion. Not for Ruger only loads but a dead killer for most cats and bears.

Four Fingers of Death
02-10-2012, 09:54 PM
45 Colt would be a great conversion. Not for Ruger only loads but a dead killer for most cats and bears.

One good thing about converting a 38/357 cylinder is that you can really control the size of the chambers.

This is especially important with the 45Colt apparently, but also good with the 44Sp/Mag.

It ain't cheap, but you end up with an awesome revolver with chambers that match the cases 100%. I think that I'd rather re-barrel than re-bore (not that we have a choice in Australia, nobody here rebores barrels anymore).

I think if I was spending this much money on a revolver I'd want to end up with a nice shiny one, so I'd probably not use the old dull finished PoPo gun. Not that it wouldn't be an awesome revolver, but money spent on a better finished gun would give the gun a greater value to a potential buyer or to raise money for you heirs when you've ridden on ahead.

Four Fingers of Death
02-11-2012, 07:10 AM
Great choice! Awesome looking revolver.

David LaPell
02-11-2012, 08:16 AM
No worries all. I have decided to not convert my Model 28 and to just get a 3 inch 44 mag. The picture of the one I will be putting on layaway is at the top of this page.

The reason for my sudden switch to 44 caliber is I had VERY disconcerting experience with a large mountain lion on Saturday. I need caliber that will punch through from all angles and not just a perfect broadside. I really miss my 454 at times.

Maybe its time for a Mountain lion thread!!

tek4260
02-11-2012, 09:42 AM
These can be found from time to time. I believe it is a -2.

Sorry for the bad pics.

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm35/tk3945/DSCN0036.jpg
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm35/tk3945/DSCN0034.jpg

DaveCampbell
02-11-2012, 05:37 PM

FYI, Lipsey's the distributor that brought the .44 Special Flat Top to us (I have two) has come out with the same .357-frame Flat Top in .45 Colt. I just got my 4 5/8-incher a couple of weeks ago. Preliminary shooting sez that it's a keeper! No need to go to the expense and hassle of a conversion for a Flat Top .45!

Best,

Dave