PDA

View Full Version : .44 Wad cutter accidental, then deliberate!

Wayne Smith
02-05-2012, 01:30 PM
My only swage die is a '44 Special' by Herters - a half jacket die that I have been using 357Mag cases cut down, annealed and cleaned as half jackets. I was merrily making bullets when called away. When I got back I forgot that I had one in the die and proceeded to jam another in. This created a full wad cutter profile with the base of the case imaged backwards on the top. After I got the lead out of the nose punch I got to wondering, can I do this deliberately?

I took the punch from my 40 case sizer and put a case on it with the bottom up. I then took a bullet, put it in the die, and pressed. If the pics post you will see what I got. The dark one is the accidental one done several weeks ago.

Do I need to be aware of anything special loading these? I am going to assume that if I load them as a wad cutter in 44Mag cases I will essentially be creating a 44Special size powder compartment and need to load to that level.

Reload3006
02-05-2012, 03:25 PM
I am assuming that your nose punch is your lead bleed? the only thing I could think of that may be a problem at all would be weight variances. If they mic the right diameter they should be ok If your shooting them in a revolver set them so they will chamber with out interfering with the cylinder. work your load up as normal you should be good to go.

jimkim
02-05-2012, 03:43 PM
I kinda like it. I'd probably turn a top punch and add a primer sized HP cavity. How much do they weigh?

a.squibload
02-05-2012, 04:08 PM
So the nose is lead with a case head imprinted on it?
Looks great! Will punch a huge hole in paper, &
probably anything else it hits. HP would look good but
pretty sure it's unnecessary!

Wayne Smith
02-05-2012, 04:36 PM
Yes, the nose punch is the lead bleed. They were made, the extra lead cut off, then put back in. They weigh out at 295gr.

a.squibload
02-09-2012, 03:13 AM
Do I need to be aware of anything special loading these? I am going to assume that if I load them as a wad cutter in 44Mag cases I will essentially be creating a 44Special size powder compartment and need to load to that level.

Depends on how far you push 'em into the case, don't necessarily have to
seat 'em in all the way (flush with case mouth). I would try crimping at the
brass/lead line on the boolit, probably have plenty of room in the cylinders
for that.

StrawHat
02-09-2012, 06:55 AM
Yes, the nose punch is the lead bleed. They were made, the extra lead cut off, then put back in. They weigh out at 295gr.

Okay, a 300 grain wadcutter MAY be a bit heavy. I guess it depends on the target. I shoot a 235 grain WC in the 45 long COlt and 45 ACP revolvers.

Whistler
02-09-2012, 07:23 AM
Load them in Magnum cases, let the bullet stick out about .004" and use about 4-5 grains of N340 or Unique.

Wayne Smith
02-10-2012, 02:18 PM
Okay, a 300 grain wadcutter MAY be a bit heavy. I guess it depends on the target. I shoot a 235 grain WC in the 45 long COlt and 45 ACP revolvers.

Yeah, so I thought. I don't need a lot of impulse with these, I'm guessing that beyond about 25yds they will drop like rocks and have accuracy rivaling a smooth bore.

a.squibload
02-11-2012, 02:00 AM
Yeah, but within 25 yards they'll be like a gorilla throwin' a brick!

a.squibload
02-11-2012, 02:04 AM
Yeah, but within 25 yards they'll be like a gorilla throwin' a brick!

That didn't sound right.
How about "major-league-pitcher-gorilla"?

Anyway they should smash into stuff real good.