PDA

View Full Version : Ballard in 32/20

exblaster
02-05-2012, 12:54 PM
I have a Marlin Ballard #2 that was originally a 32 rim fire. I plan on shooting a 90 gr. cast soft lead boolit over 2 1/2 gr. Trail Boss and small rifle primers. What do you all think ?

Exblaster

Wayne Smith
02-05-2012, 01:36 PM
You didn't say, but I assume it's now a centerfire and re-chambered? Small pistol is what I use in the 32-20 and I think that's whats recommended. I'm lost with Trail Boss, don't use it.

Chill Wills
02-05-2012, 01:53 PM
If you do use the small pistol just watch out for the breach block cratering in the old soft Ballard. The brass is designed for the deeper “rifle” primer.

DHB
02-05-2012, 08:08 PM
I had a 32-20 in a Ballard #2 and don't remember what I shot in it. BUT I use 11.5 gr 4227 with a 115 gr boolit in a Stevens 44. Should be about the same. With that load from a rest and a scope,:mrgreen: I get one exaggerated hole at 50 yards.

.22-10-45
02-10-2012, 02:30 AM
I don't have Dutcher's book with me, but just curious if that No. 2 is a cast action? If so, I would be leery of too hot of a load. I have an original No. 3 in .25-25 Stevens & have decided to use only black (swiss 3FG).
As for the difference in height between small rifle & small pistol primers..there is none. The large pistol primer is shorter than the large rifle primer.

uscra112
02-11-2012, 03:45 AM
The popular fear of cast Ballard actions is a overblown. Many years ago a gun historian (who really should have known better) wrote that the cast Ballards were "cast iron, which has left a bad impression, propagated over and over in the popular literature. This might have been true of some of the Civil War relics, (I haven't found one to examine), but the Marlin cast Ballards are clearly a low carbon steel.

The problem for us today isn't how the receiver was made, but how the gun has been treated in the ensuing 120+ years. There are reports of cracked receivers, (I've never seen one, but others say they have). Unlikely that a .32 rimfire model ever saw stress enough to crack it, but it's worth a close look. I have found one breechblock that had a crack around the firing pin area. Rust damage is of course an issue. Bunkhouse gunsmithing is even more so.

I want to ask if yours has the sliding extractor with the slot cut in the receiver at 6 o'clock under the barrel, and does it have the reversible firing pin breechblock? These features were common in rimfire models, and they do weaken the system.

But if yours is sound metal, has the pivoting extractor, locks up tight, and it has the firing pin bushed, it should handle any handbook .32-20 load. Obviously it should be proofed with a max load, using the proverbial long string, but it will pass that easily unless it's got damage to the receiver or breechblock.

If you've got a beat-up, loosey-goosey gun with the reversible pin and/or the two-piece extractor, it should be restored and upgraded before you fire anything at all in it.

exblaster
02-15-2012, 11:10 AM
Thanks for the replys. The rifle is a cast steel action with a bushed firing pin and a pivoting extractor and yes it locks up tight. As to the proof load I will not be trying any thing more than black powder pressure levels in a Ballard of any type. At that pressure level the stress on the action should not be grater than the .32 rim fire it was designed for.
Thanks for your interest and comments.

Exblaster

uscra112
02-16-2012, 12:10 AM
Enjoy it! There's nothing in the world like a nice Ballard. :drinks:

Phil

BTW check your twist rate. .32 rimfires I have known have a slow twist, and need 90 grain boolits.