PDA

View Full Version : Point of Impact Jacked vs Cast

walkswithsticks
02-05-2012, 12:38 PM
Over the years, I would get my hands of a rifle or pistol that was just the bee's knees for accuracy with the fabled jacketed bullet. Since I don't dabble in such heathen pursuits, I would immediately begin to work up suitable cast boolit loads.

The first order of business is usually to adjust or replace the sights to lower the point of impact. Bear in mind that I work well within the lower end of the power and velocity spectrum as my old shoulder and wrist do not tolerate much abuse.

I find that a heavy boolit and a fast burning powder such as Unique, Red Dot, or HP 38 in the lower 1/3 of the powder chart yields good accuracy and modest velocity in handguns. As an example, I have had the same result with Unique and Red Dot in 30/30, 300 Savage, and 38/55 in Rifles.

A recent experience with a 10" Contender barrel in 32/20 shooting 3.5gr of HP 38 behind a 115 gr RNFP of WW shot 10" high at 75 yd with the sights cranked all the way.

Why does this happen?

odfairfaxsub
02-05-2012, 01:04 PM
if your rear sight is cranked all the way up it will shoot high, lower the rear sight it shoots low. the same reason why high front sights are used to lower impact. just the rule of thumb.

i forget time to time how the logic worked, i take my thumbs and stare though the thumbnails and then adjust the one to see how the barrel has to be moved or visa versa.

mooman76
02-05-2012, 01:11 PM
Also light loads will often shoot higher because your bullet is moving slower and the recoil will raise the muzzle sooner raising your point of aim.

runfiverun
02-05-2012, 03:09 PM
what mooman said.
it's in the bbl longer and is being tossed up there.
try a lighter boolit and the poi will come down.

canyon-ghost
02-05-2012, 03:14 PM
[smilie=s: You said the magic words there. It has a pretty high arc until it hits down at 100 meters. I love mine with a 4-12 Leupold riflescope. It hits about anything you can maintain your aim on.

http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx228/3rdshooter/contenders/32-20WCF005.jpg