PDA

View Full Version : Do you need 2 handguns ???

bobthenailer
02-05-2012, 12:06 PM
In the March 2012 issue of Guns & Ammo , theres a write up by Patrick Sweenney titled ( Light or Heavy ), he says that when useing factory ammo, and he uses Kahr pistols for his senairo, although other senairos are brefly talked about. He recomends that you should buy a Kahr PM9 in 9mm with a 3 inch barrel for carry use , as it only weighs 15.9 oz with a polymer frame and only occasional firing it and then buy a Kahr MK9 same gun but with a steel frame that weighs 24 oz for pratice as its easer to shoot and with less recoil & faster sight recovery . @ 8 oz difference

He never talks about loading ammo to a lower velocity to make the PM9 easer to shoot
Just about spending another $650.00 + tax to buy MK9 for pratice !
I would buy a reloading outfit new or used for much less and really save BIG !!!!!!!!!!!!
I have 2 Kahr pistol , a PM9 and a CW 45 which i really like ! accurate , reliable with a excellent trigger & sights . I just shoot slightly down loaded ammo with cast bullets for pratice. and use my money to buy componets

subsonic
02-05-2012, 12:15 PM
Of course. That way when your life depends on the light little gun that you don't shoot, you are really familiar with the other one.

But they sell more guns that way.

I guess you don't get paid if you can't come up with SOMETHING to write about.

44man
02-05-2012, 12:39 PM
You need more guns---ALWAYS---need more guns.
Why stop with ONE or TWO????? :Fire:
Get some revolvers and single shots too.
Darn it, I know you love to shoot.
But shoot the best loads all the time, you do not need reduced anything.

wtfooptimax200
02-05-2012, 01:10 PM
You ALWAYS need more than one gun, but that's another story, though. I do agree that you should practice with what you carry. It's like a basketball player practicing with a women's sized ball and playing with an official ball during games, what sense does that make? Why would you want practice time to be easier than 'game time'?

On the PM9 topic, however, I was skeptical about it based on all of the talk that you hear. After getting one for XMas three years ago, all of that skepticism was erased. The gun is a small gun which does make it harder to control than a full size, but it is still very manageable. I love it.

GLL
02-05-2012, 01:27 PM
Two? :) :)

http://www.fototime.com/6DFF2F88F82FFCA/standard.jpg

Jerry

btroj
02-05-2012, 01:32 PM
More important- do you need to listen to what gun writers say?

They have a magazine to fill. Only so many things to write about so someone needs to come up with something.

If it makes you happy the do it. I don't buy into exactly what he was saying but that is only my opinion. Since it is my money I would be spending I listen to my opinion above all others.

Beerd
02-05-2012, 01:35 PM
jerry,
how long have you been waiting for the opportunity to post that picture? ;-)

bob208
02-05-2012, 01:46 PM
after skelton, keath and jordon . most gun writers are jut pitch men for gun and ammo sales.

i have nothing againest owning more then one gun.

GLL
02-05-2012, 01:49 PM
jerry,
how long have you been waiting for the opportunity to post that picture? ;-)

:) :)

Jerry

HeavyMetal
02-05-2012, 02:05 PM
The idea makes good sense to some extent.

Owned several Star PD's at one time and hated to shoot one of them extensively for fear of cracking an aluminum frame!

So a carry gun that got shot a little and a practice gun that got shot a lot made sense, when it was cheap enough to be realistic!

Many big time IPSC guys had a "stable" of game guns, many times because they would break during or just before a big dollar match, and that makes sense to.

Today I don't shoot as much as I did in the 70's and 80's and I don't carry, but might give that two gun idea some thought should that need come up.

The question to ask yourself: what is your life worth to you?

then base you gun needs and practice levels on that dollar amount.

You might be surprised at the answer!

Ohio Rusty
02-05-2012, 03:03 PM
The Kahr is a nice looking gun. Although from time to time I come across posts from Kahr owners of pistol problems ... FTF, FTE, feed issues. The other thing that kinda turned me off to Kahr was you have to shoot $600 worth of ammo to get the gun broke in.

I carry as often as I can ... my go to gun 90% of the time is my S&W scandium .357 with 125 grain SJHP's. I carry that just to answer HeavyMetal's question - what is your life worth? I never have an issue with a revolver -- never. My .357 is serious stopping power at close range. Yes ... the gun has recoil ..... The blast the criminal is receiving on the other end is alot worse than the little bit of recoil of my pistol.

In the summer during low clothes time, I carry my Keltec .380. It took some work, polish and fluff-n-buff to get the gun to the point where it is virtually 100% reliable now. I don't have an issue with carrying either, and having more than one gun for different occasions or where you need truly deep concealment is a good thing.
Ohio Rusty ><>

44man
02-05-2012, 03:10 PM
If you need a "shooting" gun because the "carry" gun might break, throw out the carry gun fast. [smilie=s:

garbear
02-05-2012, 03:26 PM
Practise with what you carry. If you are worried about it breaking get one that wont. I have one hand gun a ruger sp101 3" barrel in 357. I carry it everywhere.
Garbear

stubshaft
02-05-2012, 04:41 PM
If you need a "shooting" gun because the "carry" gun might break, throw out the carry gun fast. [smilie=s:

That goes along with the old adage that "the saddest sound ever heard is a click when you expected a boom".[smilie=w:

MT Gianni
02-05-2012, 05:05 PM
Two handguns? No I don't need two, but if pushed I could get by with 12.

MtGun44
02-05-2012, 05:28 PM
WOW!

THAT is a cool picture!

Bill

W.R.Buchanan
02-05-2012, 06:00 PM
I'm on board with the carry what you pratice with, as you really need to be good with it or you shouldn't be carrying it..

I don't carry a gun since I live in CA, however If I did carry one it would probably be something like a Glock 23 and since I have other Glocks I could come up to speed quickly with the new one. But,,, I would train extensively with the G23 before I started carrying it.

I think his mentailty was the lighter gun would be easier to carry however if the lighter gun won't stay together for the 800-1000 shots it would take to get good with it then it isn't a very reliable gun and the extra weight of the steel framed gun wouldn't be notice after awhile. Besides knowingly carrying an unreliable gun seems kind of dumb? Just me?

I fail to see how a properly made aluminum frame gun wont last. Browning sold a gun known as the BDA. It was basically a Sig with the Browning name on it. They had a steel slide and an aluminum frame that was hard anodized. The guns wore the slide out long before the frame was ever hurt.

Hard anodizing is 78 Rc in hardness. Those slides are made of some kind of Cro-Moly and might be 50 Rc. This was 30 years ago and it is hard for me to believe that Kahr doesn't know this now. Especially with all of the gun parts made from aluminum nowadays.

I wonder if Sweeney really wasn't trying to draw a parallelism to shooting a Model 29 Smith for practice and then carying a 329PD in he woods? Still the guns are different and would shoot differently.

Randy

frankenfab
02-05-2012, 07:53 PM
Yes! 2 Rooooooows.....:-D

Two? :) :)

http://www.fototime.com/6DFF2F88F82FFCA/standard.jpg

Jerry

BOOM BOOM
02-06-2012, 12:56 AM
drool ,
snivel,:Fire::Fire: snivel

canyon-ghost
02-06-2012, 01:00 AM
No, I really need several! lol.

GabbyM
02-06-2012, 02:18 AM
Gun I have in my pocket at all times is a little Kel Teck 380 ACP. Don’t have any spare mag or extra rounds in the car. Figure the fool I kill will provide me with another gun and more ammo. That or the police will show up and I wont be wanting to have a gun in my hand anyways. If I do run out of bullets I can always just kick their asses up between there ears. But then if out in the boney I’ve always got a rifle or two in the trunk.

I have recently fell in love with K frame S&W’s.
Never owned one until last Christmas. Now I’ve four of them.
Beer cans at fifty yards. Cock it, sight it and whack.
My forty years as a 9mm shooter are over.

Below are a couple of ratty looking M-10's I bout from Buds gun shop a couple month ago. They still have some for $269. You may get a better deal on Gun broker Auctions. The Ones pictured were as received. A little buffing of metal and Oxpho Blue perked them up then a new set of grips. I’m no master revolver shooter by a long shot. But at twenty five feet I can double action pull off a shot six of six that will dead center a beer can. Not a now and then thing just a blink a blink a blink. Single action is for 25 yards
and out. If you feel the trigger its already broke.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=32&pictureid=4724

That ratty lookig square but on top of photo is a pre war modle with a single serial number stamp. Has so many rounds through it I can feel a gas cut on the top strap with a lead pencil. Have polished the scratches out and re blued it then added a set of Hogue rubber grips and it looks like a new gun and shoots like a house afire.

Been shooting wad cutters over a 3.0 grain charge of 700x I've left over from my trap shootig days. Fun factor is off the scale.

GabbyM
02-06-2012, 03:30 AM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=32&pictureid=4901

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/picture.php?albumid=32&pictureid=4900

But of course any well healed gun nut rag reader knows 38 Special rounds just bounce off bad guys and coyotes. lol

olafhardt
02-06-2012, 05:35 AM
For every rifle, shotgun and most of the revolvers I have I have a 22 understudy. Of course a Jframe 22 is different than a J frame 357,but there a lot of similiarities too.

Reload3006
02-06-2012, 02:07 PM
Shooting any gun will make you a better shot over all but if you are going to be in a life or death situation I think it would behoove you to shoot the gun your carrying. That part of a second it takes you to acquire the sites find the safety (if so equipped) magazine release could cost you your life. I suppose being armed is better than being naked but only partially if you dont know how to use what you have. Oh well thats my opinion for what its worth.

pdawg_shooter
02-06-2012, 05:13 PM
Let see, a P220 for carry. A M1911 for a bedside piece. A 4" blue Python for walking the river. A 6" blue M29 for hunting. A 22RF for pest. A Colt SA 15 45 for....well just because. A 9mm for plinking. A .380 for the wife to carry. A M15 S&W for ...well just because. And on and on and on.....

375RUGER
02-07-2012, 11:44 AM
one for each hand right?
use to be an outfit that provided cast projectiles--the slogan on the box was "We make 'em like you shoot 'em, two at a time"

jameslovesjammie
02-12-2012, 02:06 PM
He recomends that you should buy a Kahr PM9 in 9mm with a 3 inch barrel for carry use , as it only weighs 15.9 oz with a polymer frame and only occasional firing it and then buy a Kahr ...

Since Kahr own Magnum Research now, you could buy a Kahr PM9 to carry and a BFR in .500 S&W or a Desert Eagle in .50 AE for practice! Either way, you're supporting Kahr by buying another gun from them...which is the author's real intention anyway.

200swc
02-12-2012, 03:22 PM
Gabby M

Who put the rear sight on your guns? I have that done to a few of my Rugers.

krit29-2
02-12-2012, 03:31 PM
I could live with two, But what to do with the rest in the pile?
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i279/kritter2000/smith%20and%20%20wesson/HPIM0901.jpg

williamwaco
02-12-2012, 03:36 PM
I would opine that nobody needs two handguns.

I would say 200 would be closer to the correct number.

200swc
02-12-2012, 04:21 PM
If we are talking "carry", minimum of 2. -- 1911 and 442 --

If we are talking "in the safe", there is no set number!

That's like telling your boss "I'll love my job, no need for a raise".

drhall762
02-12-2012, 04:32 PM
I carry a minimum of 3, 2 each Kel-Tec PF3s and 1 P3A. Hip, shoulder and pocket in that order. Now as far as practice, I use the same 3 the same way.

GabbyM
02-13-2012, 12:27 PM
Gabby M

Who put the rear sight on your guns? I have that done to a few of my Rugers.

Those are four guns pictured. Not reworked. Two model 10 heavy barrel former police revolvers and two model 15's.

As they came to me the model 10’s both hit dead on with there fixed sights and a wad cutter load. Both Model 15’s which were from Alabama and S.C. had there sights adjusted in windadge half way over to one side to, in all probability, compensate for some shooters bad habit.

garym1a2
02-13-2012, 01:24 PM
Just get a Glock 23 and a 9mm conversion barrellel and you will not need a second gun.

bobthenailer
02-13-2012, 07:52 PM
I could live with two, But what to do with the rest in the pile?
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i279/kritter2000/smith%20and%20%20wesson/HPIM0901.jpg

But which two ????????????????????????

Crash_Corrigan
02-13-2012, 09:11 PM
I work with two. One is my carry gun that goes with me always. I strap it on in the morning and take it off at night even if I never leave the house.

It is a .44 Special CA Bulldog Pug with the 2.5" bbl and no hammer spur. Loaded with Hornady Critical Defense 185 Gr XPT Copper Jacketed HP's that move at 1,000 FPS it will take care of any two footed critter. It is light, concealable and reliable as a church key. It is always there and it will always work. If I cannot take care of business with 5 shots than I am not the man I want to be.

The 2nd gun is a Ruger Bisley model Blackhawk in .44 Special with a 5.5" bbl. Not only is it an accurate and fun revolter to shoot, it is also a nice gun to look at. Accuracy with handloaded 256 gr SWC boolits over Unique powder is outstanding and I can shoot them all day long without strain nor pain.

When I go out stomping around in the desert near Las Vegas this is my holstered companion but my CA .44 is still in my IWB holster left of my belt buckle where it is always supposed to be.

I recently obtained a NIB Smith Model 67 in .41 Magnum which I am still playing around with to find the best behaving loading and boolit. The option of having a really balls to the wall hi-speed round available for big critters is nice but most of my shooting is at steel targets or even sometimes paper. My shooting Buddy Blake did his vodoo magic on the trigger and it is now totally awesome in that department. It is 40 years old but when I bought it in the original box with all the trimmings it had never been fired nor the cylinder turned. Pinned barrel, chambered chambers, white outline rear and front red ramp sights with a wide target trigger and hammer spur and perfect condition make this an outstanding example of Smith workmanship and quality.

I will never part with this gun.