PDA

View Full Version : Henry Repeating Arms 45/70???

saz
02-05-2012, 11:16 AM
I never new that Henry released a 45/70 this year. I'm not really sure what to think of it from the pictures yet. I want to like the looks of it, but I can't. BUT it does have a set of EXCELLENT XS signts from the factory. And what's this? A 45-70 that loads through the tube magazine like a .22, but no loading gate? I have a puma that has the tube magazine like that, which in certain situations is handy. I dont know how to take this rifle. Anyone out there have experience with it or own one yet? I am curious......

303british.com
02-05-2012, 11:35 AM
http://www.henryrepeating.com/images/rifles/h010-4570-main.jpg

It looks fugly, but that might just be the pic. I'm okay with loading it directly into the tube magazine. It's not like anyone will need to quick load this rifle. Four shots of 45-70. If it doesn't stay down, well...

Here's a quote from their site.

Our new Model H010 .45-70 can handle them all. Its receiver is blued steel fitted with an 18.43" round barrel underneath and a tubular magazine of four-round capacity. Its pistol-grip buttstock and steel-capped forend are crafted of beautiful American walnut and cut with checkering to provide a sure grip.

The buttstock wears a soft rubber pad to help shooters handle .45-70 recoil from a 7.08 lb. rifle. The model H010 will be factory issued with XS Ghost Ring rear peep sight with blade front. Because the receiver is drilled and tapped, scope mounting is an easy option.

http://www.henryrepeating.com/rifle-45-70.cfm

TXGunNut
02-05-2012, 12:07 PM
I like the sights, could do without the pressed checkering. Receiver looks nice & clean without a safety or a loading gate.

Chill Wills
02-05-2012, 12:39 PM
Well, any addition to the lever rifle market in 45-70 is good to have.
My tastes run a little different than this but maybe it will score well for function.
On the down side, the picture posted does look like something I would expect to find in the toy rack in Walmart. I hope it looks better in hand.

Maybe they will go on to offer it in a men's model with a longer rifle-length barrel. :kidding:

W.R.Buchanan
02-05-2012, 02:21 PM
Since Marlin is NOT producing anything we want at this time the addition of the Henry .45-70 is a good thing. It also will raise the bar for Marlin if they return as the quality of all Henry firearms is very good .

My roommate recently bought a Henry in .44 Magnum and it is a very nicely made rifle. It loads the same way as a tube fed .22 which is fine. All of the fit and finish on his gun is very well executed and is far above anything I have seen from Marlin in the last several years. I don't particularly care for the brass finished receiver but they could easily make a blue steel version.

It also has a feature which took me a little while to figure out, as it is not visable from outside the gun.

It has a "Transfer Bar" style of trigger mechinism. There is no half cock or crossbolt safety. It works very similar to the Ruger Blackhawk single action revolver, however it is all internal so you can't see it.

This makes this gun very simple to operate. You carry it loaded with the Rebounding Hammer all the way down, and it can't hit the firing pin no matter what as the transfer bar is only aligned when the trigger is pulled.

I agree the pictured gun is a little homely and it would definately benefit from a longer barrel, and I would also like to see it octagon shaped as well. However this is a simple mod and could be added by the factory at any time if enough people requested it. I would also like to see some upgraded wood which is also easy for the factory to do if requested. They could even do a Custom Shop type of service offering specific up grades to existing models as opposed to offering different models of the same gun.

Right now this gun as it sits is direct competition for the Marlin Guide gun. A Cowboy version would be a natural addition.

As most of you know Henry is a family owned business and they won't have the same corporate BS to deal with as other outfits have had. They just keep plugging along, and this most recent addition which is an extension of their existing .30-30 product, is a smart business move for them. It required a very small capitol investment to include this model in the line, and as a result profitability will be realized quickly.

This was just good business.

They do need to have a look at that recoil pad however. I fired a bunch of my reloads thru my 1985 CB yesterday with 325 gr boolits using powder charges from 27 to 35 gr of 5744.

The 35 gr rounds recoiled smartly and my gun has a Pachmayer Decelerator on it. These were running about 1800 fps. With 400 gr boolits at 1600 fps this gun would not be a plinker! But that would be my standard Big Game load. That load in the Henry would wake you right the **** up, when you dropped the hammer.

I think they have a winner and I say this because of the lack of Marlin production and the introduction of the Rossi "Marlin" rifles which we have seen being bought here by Ranch Dog and others. The competition is definately out there, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a run of lower priced Winchester 1886's from one of the Italian or Brazilian mfg's show up soon.

Marlin was a big player in this market and Remington's slow start has given rise to several outfits trying to fill the void. If Remington doesn't get their act together soon they might just find that their levergun market has gone away.

This is just the way business works and there is nothing wrong with it.

Business loves a vacuum, and Marlin created one.

Randy

303british.com
02-05-2012, 07:12 PM
I too, am glad to see that they built a 45-70 lever.

There is no doubt that the lever world is stumbling right now - especially with Marlin's struggles. I looked at Winchester's Model 94s and wondered why they continue to produce rifles priced to the upscale market.

Because there are fewer levers around, used Winchester prices are high. Among new rifles, there is increased demand for Rossi Model 92s and Mossberg 464s. You don't see them on the shelves much around my area.

Now that Henry has this new rifle, the release should turn up the heat at Remington to get their act together. The clock is ticking.

saz
02-06-2012, 09:42 AM
Will the magazine tube stay in the rifle when it's carried in a scabbard?
I've had tube fed 22's leave the magazine in the scabbard when you pull the rifle out, then the ammo falls out too.

Hopefully the tube is threaded rather than having that little 1/4 turn detent like Rossi did would definatley be a good thing.

DHB
02-07-2012, 02:39 PM
I have one of the Henry "Yellow Boys" I installed a tang sight on and it's real accurate. So I would imagine any other Henry would be accurate also. As to loading from the front I have a Marlin in 32 H&R that also loads from the front. Much the same. But for the money I'd rather have a used Marlin that loaded on the side. They are still available.
DHB