PDA

View Full Version : When do you resize / lube?

DeadWoodDan
02-05-2012, 09:45 AM
How long after you cast before you should / have to size and lube? This may not be important at all, but the one thing i have little of is time. I've had my equipment for over 18 months and last weekend was the first time i sat down to poor for the first time!

thanks
DWD

LUCKYDAWG13
02-05-2012, 10:02 AM
i just do as i need i cast a lot in the fall and reload a lot more when hunting is over

GRUMPA
02-05-2012, 10:31 AM
When I pour mine I size them the same day, but I water drop mine so the longer I wait the harder those things get, and my arm notices this real quick.

bobthenailer
02-05-2012, 12:29 PM
When letting the bullets air cool , you can size at any time in the furture !
When water dropping the bullets directly from the mould into a bucket of water , which greatly speeds up production, i lube within a few hours after casting, as they will be harder in less than 24 hours as they temper when dropped in water, WW will WD to between 25 to 30 bhn in a day or two, and will take considerably more downward pressure on the sizer handel to resize the bullet , sometimes to the point of almost breaking or breaking the handel or the sizer itself. Which is dependant on how much your as cast diameter is compaired to your desired sizing diameter, the more the reduction in size that is needed the harder it is to size.

btroj
02-05-2012, 03:38 PM
I cast and size when I have time and feel like it. I tend to water drop everything, haven't had troubles with harder bullets yet.

Don't over think things. Risks supposed to be fun, don't turn it into work.

Shiloh
02-06-2012, 01:52 PM
As needed for use.

Shiloh

C.F.Plinker
02-06-2012, 05:15 PM
I usually cast up a years worth in the spring and store them in coffee cans under the loading bench until I need them. Then lube them up a can at a time and load them the next day.

Inkman
02-08-2012, 12:13 AM
I simply cast, water drop and then size within a few days. Previously WW lead and now the same thing with range scrap.

Al

captaint
02-08-2012, 01:30 PM
I just cast em up and let them sit in containers. When I need, I size, lube and load. All my stuff is air cooled. Haven't had the need to water drop any yet. enjoy Mike

Budmen
02-13-2012, 10:52 AM
I usually cast water drop a good amount then another day I have time sit and size lube really noi set time limit as far as I know. I guess if your using different alloys the harding time changes but that just makes the sizing a little harder.

Reload3006
02-13-2012, 12:01 PM
depending on how hot the bullets are I have with no bad side effects sized and lubed them as soon as they were cool. a couple hours at most.

buyobuyo
02-13-2012, 12:37 PM
When water dropping, I try to size them within a couple of days. The sooner the better. Air cooled is usually within a day or two also, but it isn't as important, since they don't get really hard.

dale2242
02-13-2012, 01:07 PM
Most all my boolits are cast of my generic Lyman# 2 air cooled alloy.
I keep my sized/lubed boolits on a handy shelf, so weight is a factor.
I inspect them shortly after they are cast and store them under the bench unlubed.
I size/lube them when my supply of finished boolits get low.
this may be days or years later......dale