PDA

View Full Version : M1A Dies

Flinchrock
02-05-2012, 08:43 AM
Got some good advice about brass, now the question is about dies.

What do you folks think I should get??

DukeInFlorida
02-05-2012, 09:45 AM
Regular dies are fine.

The reality is that as long as you size the brass to SAAMI specs, it should feed, load, and fire well. Just don't expect too many firings from M1A brass. They will stretch like crazy, and case head separation is the common cause of failure. No avoiding that, regardless of sizing die.

DO NOT try to neck size only. That's only for bolt action guns, not for auto feeds.

If you have the knowledge, you could get the actual headspace for your gun, and then adjust the sizing die to that. But for most people, that's more fussy than is needed.

Keep in mind that "factory ammo" is sized to SAAMI specs.

Larry Gibson
02-05-2012, 04:43 PM
Get the RCBS X-dies (regular ones as the SB dies are not needed regardless of what is said). With those you can get 16 - 20+ firings per case and will not have to trim at all.

With any of the regular dies you will get short case life (4 - 6 firings depending on load).

Larry Gibson

Flinchrock
02-05-2012, 05:41 PM
Get the RCBS X-dies (regular ones as the SB dies are not needed regardless of what is said). With those you can get 16 - 20+ firings per case and will not have to trim at all.

With any of the regular dies you will get short case life (4 - 6 firings depending on load).

Larry Gibson

X Dies it will be.

ph4570
02-05-2012, 07:47 PM
I agree with the X-die recommendation. Make sure you understand and follow the instructions.

roysha
02-07-2012, 08:20 PM
M1A Dies.

Heck, I thought it had been dead for a long time!:kidding:

Flinchrock
02-08-2012, 09:29 AM
M1A Dies.

Heck, I thought it had been dead for a long time!:kidding:

Lotsa help there....

X dies enroute. along with two types of headspace guages, Wilson, and RCBS case Mic.

Trying to learn how to do this right....