PDA

View Full Version : Lubrisizer Warmer Idea (lyman)

Hiaboo
02-05-2012, 01:17 AM
I think pics are pretty self-explanatory.

Works wonderful for me :) I hope this gives others ideas/help as well. I usually keep the iron on the lowest setting, that's as good as it needs to be. I got the iron from goodwill for 5 bucks or thereabouts, don't use your wife's good one!

http://imgur.com/emjAZl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Kff7wl.jpg

cajun shooter
02-05-2012, 10:06 AM
This is a good post but it has been in the sticky section for years, not meaning to steal any glory from you or your effort in putting it together.
If you will allow me to give some information about your posting as I used a similar setup when loading some smokeless powder for friends while using Carnuba Red lube which requires some heat.
The aluminum plate will work much better if at least 1/2 inch thick so that it retains the heat at a even temperature.
The travel iron that is sold at several stores works better than the home size iron also.
This is not just something I picked out of the air but the results of a Consummer Reports test.
It seems that all the travel irons are equipped with the same control and it is much more accurate for repeated settings than the larger irons. It is also much smaller and lighter and requires less area on the plate and bench.
That set up works very well as I used it for a very long time until I ended up with Three Stars. Take Care David

PS The very thin sheet of material will transfer it's heat to a wooden bench top and may result in a fire if left unattended.

Hiaboo
02-05-2012, 11:37 AM
Whoopsie, I guess great minds think alike lol.

The metal plate is actually about 1/4 inch thick -- Steel plate. I guess the picture doesn't show that very well.

I'll consider the travel size iron -- Something that's new to me! However I just grabbed this one from Goodwill, right price I guess.

I'm using Rooster Red, and the overall fill out is much better if its heated up a tiny bit, I just use the lowest setting and it's perfect for this.

Thanks for the words! :)

atr
02-05-2012, 11:45 AM
And you probably "borrowed" the wifes' Iron....right?
BAD IDEA !

GP100man
02-05-2012, 04:57 PM
Mine (wife) can`t find the iron anyways !!LOL

Mite as well make good use of it !!

BigShot
02-11-2012, 09:57 PM
I think this is a great idea. I have a Lyman 450 and need a heater. I might try something like this but will add a heat barrier under the whole things to eliminate the fire potential.

Budmen
02-13-2012, 10:36 AM
I have been toying with this idea for years Since I have 5 sizers and buying more then 1 heater is outta budget. My question is how long does it take the iron to heat up until you cas start lubing?

Ed in North Texas
02-13-2012, 10:22 PM
I think this is a great idea. I have a Lyman 450 and need a heater. I might try something like this but will add a heat barrier under the whole things to eliminate the fire potential.

Another option is to use 1/2" or thicker aluminum plate, drill a hole at the back and put an electric 110 v cartridge heater in the plate. I have 3 lubesizers (1 BP -450, 1 softer lube - 45 and 1 hard lube - RCBS), decided to put heaters on all three. Bought cartridge heaters (1/4" diameter, about an inch long), soldered plugs from el-cheapo extension cords to each one. Put them in the plates and bought a "router speed control" to control the heat level. Each cartridge cost me well under $10.00 delivered, the plugs (if bought new at Wally World) would be around $2.00 each, and the router control cost me $16 or $17 delivered. Too expensive for a single heater? Yeah, though it is really convenient, with the aluminum plate serving for a mounting plate too. Takes up less room on the loading bench than a travel iron setup. I thought of going that route too, but the alum plate cutoffs I picked up cheap were a bit too small for even a travel iron, the luber and the mounting bolts to mount to the bench.

Not my original idea, but it works very well. I bought enough cutoffs (12) to mount almost all my 40+ year collection of equipment, which was the major expense. Still I came in under $70.00 total. Cheaper than even a used Lyman heater for 2 of the lubers.

Ed