PDA

View Full Version : 35% Failure

Jbuck
02-04-2012, 10:07 PM
Broke out a bag of new Winchester 44 REM MAG, unprimed shellcases, 100 count, WSC44MU. Sat down at the table and started priming with my also new Lee Auto Prime. Out of the 100 new shells there were 35 that would not fit into the shell holder (Lee # 11). Thinking the shell holder may have been milled a little undersized I gathered up 92 once fired Hornady brass which all fit as they should. While I haven't put a mic. to them yet, with the naked eye it appears the head is too large in dia. rather than too thick to fit the shell holder. Anyone else having an issue with Winchester brass or did I just get a bad bag? I guess I am going to try chucking them up in the drill press on slow speed and see if I can turn them down with some fine emery cloth, which will most likley result in me getting them out of round, but if I can't salvage them my cost per round is going to be quite high on this batch.

303british.com
02-04-2012, 10:24 PM
Yes, I had the same problem, only I had 3 of 100 that had rims 0.006 inches oversize. I posted this about three weeks ago at 24 Hr Campfire.

Thirty five is too much. Have you contacted Winchester? In my case, I filed down the rims. If I was you, I'd tell them that you will send five or ten for them to have a look at. If you still have the bag, check for the lot no. and send it along as well.

Jbuck
02-04-2012, 10:34 PM
Yea, 303 I was planning on shooting them an Email just to let them know they may have a problem. How did it turn out filing them down, were you able to salvage the three?

303british.com
02-04-2012, 10:47 PM
Yes, I saved them. They were only a few thou oversized and there were only three. I realize that it was only a few, but I ordered Starline brass to replace these when they're finished.

geargnasher
02-05-2012, 01:24 AM
Another reason that when I have to buy pistol brass new, I buy Starline.

Gear

Recluse
02-05-2012, 01:36 AM
Another reason that when I have to buy pistol brass new, I buy Starline.

Gear

Agree, but I'd still mic those Winchester casings. If the OP still has the bag and there is any identifying numbers on it (dates, lot numbers, etc), I'd pass that along to Winchester as well.

I got some suspect 30-06 brass from them back in the early 90's. A phone call, followed up by mailing a few samples in to them garnered me a 2:1 return in new brass that had no issues.

At least back then, Winchester was good to deal with.

On the other hand, there was a group-buy with some Starline brass not all that long ago in which Starline's customer service appeared to just flat suck.

You never know, so about all you can do is pay your money and take your chances.

:coffee:

canyon-ghost
02-05-2012, 01:56 AM
I've never had a bad bag of Winchester cases but, I will say they are a bit more brittle than Starline.

Funny you should mention it. I have been using Winchester in my 41 magnum and 44 flattop Blackhawks. A couple of weeks ago, I got fed up and called Starline. I just bought 500 cases for 41 magnum and 500 cases for 44 Special. The difference in price is about $5/hundred cheaper.

This weekend I'm running full length sizing dies over them, just to make sure they're round and start my processes on them. Haven't had one bad case yet! I'm at 800 out of 1000 right now!

http://www.starlinebrass.com/ 1-800-280-6660
You need to talk to the cousins in Sedalia, Missouri now.

Jbuck
02-05-2012, 11:50 AM
I took the 35 Winchester brass to the shop and being very carefull not to overtighten the chuck I put each shell in the drill press, set the belts to 540 rpm. and turned the press on. I eyeballed the brass to make sure it was centered in the chuck as best as I could tell. Took a fine, flat file and lightley touched it to the spinning case rim. This process worked very well to turn the rims down so they would fit in the shell holder but it was time consumming as I had to file a little, stop the press and measure, file some more, ect. to insure I didn't turn them down too far. I did save ten out of the 35 untouched to send back to Winchester if they request when I contact them. After retirement time is something I have quite a bit of but I would rather use it shooting than turning new case rims down to fit my shell holder.

Black_Talon
02-05-2012, 05:57 PM
I had the exact same problem with a new bag of WW 44 Special brass that I recently bought. About 7-10 out of 100 wouldn't slide into a Lee shellholder without using some force. Since there was only a few I just hand filed them down until they fit. If there'd been 35 of 'em, I would have contacted Winchester/Olin.

DODGEM250
02-05-2012, 08:08 PM
I have a new auto-prime myself and I have had the same issue with the .44 mag cases not fitting easy into the shell holder, however, with a slight nudge they the insert easy. I think the cases just have a "nano-burr" on the rim that hangs them up a pinch, but, I was able to able to prime all 250 .44 mag brass.

I have encountered the same issue with .270. 30-06, and .300 win mag brass. It's nothing to worry about, just give it an extra bit of pressure.

MtGun44
02-05-2012, 11:29 PM
+1 on gear's post.

Starline whenever I can.

Bill

Jbuck
02-06-2012, 05:41 PM
Called Winchester today, after waiting through all the for _________ press #__ now, I got to talk to a nice guy named Doug. He advised they (Winchester) would send a return slip for me to return them and they would replace the brass if it was defective. Having been able to turn the rims down and make them work the purpose of my call was only to advise Winchester they may have a problem with their production. While I have read here and on other sites Winchester's quality may be lacking I am very impressed with their customer service.

303british.com
02-06-2012, 05:53 PM
It's great to hear that you talked to a human. If you are happy with Doug's response, then all's well that end's well.

garym1a2
02-06-2012, 07:45 PM
I had 38 brass not fit a lee shellholder. I went out and got a RCBS shell-holder and they fit.

o6Patient
01-01-2013, 09:40 AM
I had 38 brass not fit a lee shellholder. I went out and got a RCBS shell-holder and they fit.
there you go: a lot said in that sentence

Shiloh
01-01-2013, 03:19 PM
Yes, I had the same problem, only I had 3 of 100 that had rims 0.006 inches oversize. I posted this about three weeks ago at 24 Hr Campfire.

Thirty five is too much. Have you contacted Winchester? In my case, I filed down the rims. If I was you, I'd tell them that you will send five or ten for them to have a look at. If you still have the bag, check for the lot no. and send it along as well.

Excellent suggestion about the lot#

Shiloh