PDA

View Full Version : Lubrisizer

bsczar1
02-04-2012, 08:44 PM
I can get a Lyman 450 (Gray, not Orange) for $85. Looks to be in decent shape, but I've never used one, so it could be beat to **** I wouldn't know it. The guy selling it is a decent guy from what I can tell with my previous dealings with him at the gun show. Here's my question: should I just pick this one up, or wait and spend the $155 for a brand new 4500 with a heater from Optics Planet? I will be casting for the first time next weekend, so I don't even know if I am going to need a lubrisizer or if I'll just opt to use a Lee push through sizer and tumble lube. I just have not decided which route to go as far as size and lube. I currently have 2 lube groove molds, and 1 tumble lube mold. I know I can TL either. I'm just trying to decide if I should go back and buy it tomorrow. Thanks for any input.

mooman76
02-04-2012, 10:15 PM
If it's in good shape, sounds like about the average price. Is he giving you any sizer dies and top punches with it? If he at least throws in one sizer and punch, I'd say it's definantely worth it.

9.3X62AL
02-04-2012, 10:26 PM
+1 to Mooman, for the win.

williamwaco
02-04-2012, 10:26 PM
I have owned the Lyman 45, the Lyman 450,and the Lyman 4500. Loved them all and never had a minutes trouble with any of them. After 50 years of Lymanizing all my bullets, I have completely converted to the Lee push through dies.

I an NOT recommending that you do the same. Either method works perfectly. The Lee method is just easier and faster.

Welcome to the club. You are about to become addicted.

Ausglock
02-04-2012, 10:30 PM
I also have a grey 450.

No issues at all with the machine.

bsczar1
02-04-2012, 11:46 PM
If it's in good shape, sounds like about the average price. Is he giving you any sizer dies and top punches with it? If he at least throws in one sizer and punch, I'd say it's definantely worth it.

It looks complete and in good shape as far as I can tell. No dies or top punches were included, but I'll ask to see if he'll throw some in to sweeten the deal. My thought was the money I save with a 450 could go towards dies and top punches, as I saw other people there with some. What is a good used price for sizer dies and for top punches (RCBS and Lyman)?

fryboy
02-05-2012, 12:10 AM
rcbs's tend to cost more new , used prices vary , i've seen both for between &10 and $20 , my personal preference is for lyman dies ( but that's just me ) in my humble opinion they have a finer polish on them and i believe this helps make clean up easier ( please note that this is outside finish i'm talking about ) as for price of the sizer it's self .... there was 3 posted tonite in S&S , one needed a lil work for $55 ( well a 2-3 dollar die retaining nut is all ) the other two were fine , one had the upgrade handle , the other i dont believe did , they were both $70 + $10 shipping ..ie; 80 bucks [shrugz]
william is correct in that the lee dies are faster at least for sizing and if using tumble lube , pan or dip lubing does add time to it so it sort of comes closer to equaling out

.22-10-45
02-05-2012, 12:34 AM
Hello, bsczar1. I use a couple of Lyman 45's..the old gray Lyman 450 doesn't get much use nowdays, since the 45's have less play and slop in them. The lubsizer that beats them all for top punch to die mouth alignment..less play in guidrods..is an old Ideal 1892 lubesizer..I use this one for my .22's.

bsczar1
02-05-2012, 12:47 AM
After I asked about the dies I went to S&S to investigate prices and saw there were some units listed. However, with shipping and ordering what's missing I'm at the same cost as buying the one locally-assuming it is complete. Can you use the same dies on 45, 450, 4500 and RCBS LAMs? I thought the 45 took different dies than the newer models, but I wasn't real clear on that.

theperfessor
02-05-2012, 12:57 AM
I would bet 99.999% of them will interchange. I've heard that occasionally you get a die that is at the extreme end of the tolerance range that won't interchange between brands but if it fits a 45 it should fit the 450 and 4500 also. They all take the same nose punches. For what its worth, the die retention nut on the Lyman 450 and 4500 is 7/8" across the flats, the RCBS is 15/16". The Lyman 45 uses a setscrew instead of a hollow nut for die retention.

mooman76
02-05-2012, 03:41 PM
I got a 450 about 5 years ago on ebay for $110. The reason I payed so much was because it came with 5 dies and 5 top punches. I tried buying one there for awhile but the prices always ended up going for near new cost and some people don't figure in the extras so much when they buy. When I got it, it still had the box and looked almost unused which was a bonus as it was unexpected buy me. Also had some lube sticks with it.
Anyway I still use my Lee's with the tumble lube but also use the Lyman as it suits me. Some people switch to a lube sizer from the Lees and never look back and some go the other way too. Can't really say one is better or worse than the other. Both have their good and bad points, it's just depends on your needs and what suits you. As far as dies go I think $10 is a good price and even $15 isn't bad for a used die in good shape. Somewhere around $5 for used top punches.

GOPHER SLAYER
02-05-2012, 04:19 PM
I have five Lyman 450 sizers and two 45's. I have no idea how many dies I have, some RCBS some lyman and I use them all in either sizer with no trouble.

bsczar1
02-05-2012, 10:37 PM
No dies or top punches included, but then again he didn't have any I could use. If he had, I would have got them for $10 each.

TCFAN
02-06-2012, 05:01 PM
I have 3 of the Lyman 450's and most of the Lee sizers. I use both. On some boolits I Lube first in a lyman and seat a gas check if need be with a die that is as large or larger than the boolit as cast and then run it through the Lee die that is the size that I want the boolit to be...............Terry

bsczar1
02-06-2012, 06:40 PM
TCFAN:

I didn't think of that; that's a darn good idea.

BigShot
02-11-2012, 09:50 PM
I have a Lyman 450. Do I need a heater for the lube?

miestro_jerry
02-11-2012, 09:59 PM
If you need to heat the lube use a hair blow dryer and use it sparingly. I have a heater on my Star and it stays at the lowest setting.

Jerry

BigShot
02-12-2012, 01:31 PM
Thanks for the tip Jerry.

Ed in North Texas
02-15-2012, 10:40 AM
I have 3 of the Lyman 450's and most of the Lee sizers. I use both. On some boolits I Lube first in a lyman and seat a gas check if need be with a die that is as large or larger than the boolit as cast and then run it through the Lee die that is the size that I want the boolit to be...............Terry

I'm sure I'm missing something here. Is it that you only need to have one or two Lyman H&I dies, with the rest of sizing relegated to the cheaper Lee dies? Otherwise I can't see the advantage to lubing and gas check seating in the Lyman, and then sizing in the Lees.

Ed

TCFAN
02-16-2012, 10:45 AM
ED,what I was trying to say is I think the Lee sizing system is a more accutate way to size and the Lyman 450 is a better way to Lube.

I use a size and lube die in the 450 that is always as cast size or a little bigger than the boolit that I am lubing. That way I can use any type of lube that I might want to use.

On some pistol boolits especially wadcutters I use LLA and the Lee size dies only. Just don't like to use LLA on rifle boolits.......................Terry

bsczar1
02-16-2012, 07:37 PM
Just have a quick question. Looking at my 450, it looks like it was taken apart and re-assembled with the return pin upside-down, and the lock nut above the tab rather than below. Here is what is I assume is "normal".

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/virtuosocms/uploads/products/532_IMG_0892.jpg

I don't have a picture, but on mine the round head that is resting on the return bar is actually up towards the die, and the locknut is on top side, not underneath. Does it matter? I thought I read somewhere this was done for seating gas checks. It also almost looks like the threaded adjuster sleeve on mine is broken, or partially missing.

kenyerian
02-16-2012, 08:07 PM
Used a 45 for years for everthing but tried a lee for 357 and like it very well. Still use the 45 for the rifle boolits.

C.F.Plinker
02-16-2012, 10:59 PM
I have mine set up the way that yours is. With the lock nut above the tab it is easier to limit how far short boolits go into the die. This is usefull when you just want to lube the bottom groove in short boolits like the 185 grain 45ACP. With the large part of the pusher rod between the adjuster and the bottom of the die the downward travel of the boolit gets stopped when the bottom punch hits the pusher rod and it in turn hits the adjuster. Then on the upstroke the pusher hits the bottom of the die and stops the travel of the bottom punch. If this didn't happen you would push the boolit and the bottom punch both out of the die.

bsczar1
02-16-2012, 11:33 PM
C.F.Plinker:

I figured there was valid reason for it being set up that way. That makes sense, thanks for the input.

bsczar1
02-19-2012, 09:17 PM
Here's some picture of my burgandy 450:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a223/bsczar1/L1.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a223/bsczar1/L2.jpg

Today I took it apart, boiled the casting and other parts, painted it, and reassembled it with plenty of oil and grease. Now I just have to make some Ben's Red lube to put in it.

wolfe28
02-19-2012, 11:46 PM
I have owned the Lyman 45, the Lyman 450,and the Lyman 4500. Loved them all and never had a minutes trouble with any of them. After 50 years of Lymanizing all my bullets, I have completely converted to the Lee push through dies.

I an NOT recommending that you do the same. Either method works perfectly. The Lee method is just easier and faster.

Welcome to the club. You are about to become addicted.

Not to hijack the thread, but would you be willing to outline what you do now? I'm slowly collecting all the stuff to start casting, but the Lee sizers are the only ones in my price range for the next year or two.

D